The Elder Scrolls Online

90 Orc Shaman
I *don't* want ESO to kill WOW. The concept itself is silly. WOW is as large as it is because it drew in a large crowd of people that *don't* play MMO's. Before WOW, successful MMO's had about 200-250k subscribers, and they were profitable at that level. You do NOT need 10-12 million subscribers to be profitable and successful.

The developers of ESO outright said that the "WOW crowd" is not their intended audience. It looks like it has a chance of being a great game. I want to see it be successful WITHOUT "killing WOW" and having the HUGE population that WOW does. Most of WOW's issues are from it being TOO big. There is plenty of room in the market for ESO to do quite well without even touching WOW. WOW grew too fast, and got so big that Blizzard had to build this MASSIVE infrastructure to sustain it, and that infrastructure is expensive. WOW has to have a lot more subscribers now to remain profitable than smaller MMO's.

Also, another BIG thing to point out: Zenimax and Bethesda are PRIVATELY owned companies. (Bethesda is actually a subsidiary of Zenimax.) They do not have any shareholders to answer to. ESO has a chance of being a great game, and I'm cautiously optimistic for the first time for an upcoming MMO. Let's not ruin its chances by yelling "WOW killer".
Edited by Mogrigg on 2/6/2013 5:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Why is there such a "Highlander" mindset with gamers these days?

There doesnt have to "BE ONLY ONE!"
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
I just looked at the gameplay trailer on youtube, what's with the lack of capes in Elder Scroll's games? I know they can be modded in the sandboxes but come on, capes are standard for fantasy, your character looks 10x cooler with a cape.

Anyways not sure what people see in this game, looks very standard from what I've seen.
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
I just looked at the gameplay trailer on youtube, what's with the lack of capes in Elder Scroll's games? I know they can be modded in the sandboxes but come on, capes are standard for fantasy, your character looks 10x cooler with a cape.

Anyways not sure what people see in this game, looks very standard from what I've seen.

I completely agree, I remember the days of runescape, where I would look so terrible, but then but on a cape and look badass. Guild Wars 2 had the exact same problem
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I miss Everquest to be honest.

I like a lot of what WoW has done. I like that I can play a mainstream MMO as an adult with a career and a family.

What I don't like however is the theme park style of all modern MMOs that WoW started. Developers cannot keep up with making new content, varied content, to lead the players through. The players always devour content far more quickly then the devs can make it.

This really has me wondering if the MMOs of old got something right. The whole sandbox style of play may not have been as fleshed out as it could have been. MMOs were new back then, I wonder what a company like blizzard could do with a sandbox style MMO rather then a Theme park one.

At this point I would far rather play Everquest with some blizzard niceties that makes it playable to an adult in my position. I am not a teenager anymore and so I could never keep up with true Everquest, but I think Everquest had something magical that WoW just does not have, and I would really like to see a game come along and grab onto that while taking some of the streamlining for casual players that WoW gave us.
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm interested in TESO as an Elder Scrolls game much more than I'm interested in it as an MMO, much less as a WoW killer. I expect to cancel my WoW subscription this spring and to play TESO when it's released, but those intentions are less connected than one might assume. For me the WoWkiller has been WoW, partly the game and partly what I see as loss of community. Most of my characters are tauren, and the killing off of Cairne and the tauren shaman trainers and the ransacking of Camp Tauraho also hit me hard. I'm not angry or frustrated. I just don't find myself wanting to log into WoW very often.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Lets not turn ESO into another "wow killer" and over hype it so that it ruins the experience when it turns out that it isn't going to kill WoW like people have done with every other mmo that has come out in the last 8 years. It does nothing useful and I dare say it is the main reason most mmos end up not doing as well as they could because people expect perfection from day one.

Also, stop complaining about WoW. It's pointless. The majority of the players like the way WoW is. Blizzard is not going to overhaul the game to please the %5 of the players that don't like the casualness of WoW. If you don't like it being casual, which it has been for the last 4 years, go and play something isn't. It's really as simple as that.

Agreed, all the other MMOs die cause of all the hype surrounding them, we don't need ESO taking that same road.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
When people talk about "killing WoW" they usually don't mean crashing the player base and forcing Blizzard to consider filing chapter 11. They refer to their losing preeminence in the market and their reputation as the gold standard for making an MMORPG.

It'd be cool for TESO to pull that off, but their work is cut out for them. The ambition and expectations for it are both extremely high, but precedent justifies the cynic much better than it does the optimistic fan.

I personally don't recommend getting hyped at least until their closed beta is underway. Rest assured, leaks will be replete.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/05/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Karvé
Others like RIFT are still alive and doing decently well.

I don't really see this, what with the producer leaving the company. I think the expansion didn't expand it enough to save it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/14/2013 10:33 PMPosted by Dehydrality
Agreed, all the other MMOs die cause of all the hype surrounding them, we don't need ESO taking that same road.

No, they die because of serious flaws. Getting everything right is really hard, and you need to do that to have a chance of competing with WoW.

The most common cause of failure, I think, is bad client optimization. WoW has a really good client. The interaction and the gameplay have been honed over the years. It's very difficult to beat it on this very important (and underrated) aspect.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
i hope ESO is a good game. honestly, i do. and i will probably play it a bit. but will it take over wow? i hope not. too much time spent here, i dont want to see one kill the other.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I'm sorry, but World of Warcraft will always be king. Nuff said.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/16/2013 09:48 PMPosted by Ronovernus
I'm sorry, but World of Warcraft will always be king. Nuff said.

Yes it will...there is no way that ESO will ever get to WOW's population levels. But that doesn't mean it can't be successful. This isn't Highlander. "There can be only one" doesn't apply to games. There is room for more than one successful MMO.

Don't forget, before WOW came along, 200k subscribers meant an MMO was successful and profitable. You don't need 12 million subscribers to be successful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]