Low population servers - CG answers questions

11 Human Warrior
the name excuse is a pathetic cop out. first of all, its a weak argument. that's the biggest hurdle? actually it's the only one theyve ever mentioned. so there is one blockade

to make it fair is simple. tack on " - oldservername" to the toons, just like what we see in battlegrounds.

there is no legitimate reason they dont do this other than they like $25 * 1000s of players, and they want to save face.

problem is they are so smug they will save face at the cost of customers. i am one who theyve lost. i know i wont be missed, but add me up to many others and we will.

I think a good idea, since its all the people crying for mergers that say changing names is not an issue, would be to merge specific low population servers into larger ones and the small pop server peoples get to keep all of their names while the larger pop servers have to make the changes to accommodate them.
60 Undead Warlock
Liliana you say the name thing is not a big deal so let's use an example shall we ?

Going to use your name as it is a popular name and this could (and probably will maybe not with your name or you but due to the number of people that play this game it probably will) happen.

Liliana is well liked on her low population server. Everyone loves her and knows her and knows that she is there to help everyone anytime. Need a hunter for something everyone on the low population server will point you at this BE.

Liliana (on another server) is (for lack of a better word) a complete troll. Everyone hates her and considers her the BE hunter that everyone should always avoid. She is on everyone's ignore list due to the obscenities she throws out and the fact that she is just plain mean and she loves the bad rep.

Both of those servers get merged and the first Liliana gets to keep the name and the second one is forced to change their name.

First thing the new arrival does is say 'hi' in chat to check out how her new realm is and she is instantly hit with 'WTF ??? I thought I had that <insert bad word here> on ignore, there fixed' and is shunned by the whole horde population of the server she was merged to. Not due to any fault of her own but just because of her name.

Our names are our reputations on our servers. Losing them and having someone else have them can tarnish that reputation forever. Nobody will ever know you are the nice one if they for 8 years have been used to the mean one.

LOL....You need to get a life than if a name is so important to you when you're looking at some pixels...
90 Tauren Druid

Everyone will want free server transfers... I understand exactly what you're talking about but do you seriously think no one will complain?

People are already complaining and requesting free transfers. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. But if they set a precedent by forcing free transfers due to closing a server for having too low of a population then they have a very valid/reasonable response:

No, you may not have a free server transfer, 'just because.' We only offer free server transfer to correct severe imbalances in realm populations and keep a proper player to server ratio. If those issues are not being corrected you may pay to change servers or re-roll as always.

Doesn't this sound like trading in complaint A for complaint B? They currently have a valid / reasonable response for complaint A; you just don't like it. Is it not possible that people won't like the canned response to complaint B?

Doesn't the line "If those issues are not being corrected you may pay to change servers or re-roll as always" apply to your complaint as well? For example:

No, you may not have a free server transfer, 'just because.' We only offer free server transfer to reduce overpopulation in our most populated realms. If those issues are not being corrected you may pay to change servers or re-roll as always.
90 Draenei Shaman
With all the ascii variations of characters , I find it hard to believe a name change would be a game breaker. ALso if the transfer was voluntary and the destination choices were plentiful then finding a home would probably be a non issue. Open the low pops up let the players make the move. once all active players move then put the inactives into limbo or flag them for free transfers should they ever reactivate.

After about a month if any players are left on said realms then deal with a forced move shutdown scenario.

Again the fact that many players refuse to reroll because of attachment to their characters it stands to reason they would value their character names just as much as any other aspect of their characters. It may not be a problem to you but it is a problem for others.
It's not the name, it's the time invested to gear-up, grind up reps, get titles, get achievements, get pets . . .
90 Dwarf Paladin

People are already complaining and requesting free transfers. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. But if they set a precedent by forcing free transfers due to closing a server for having too low of a population then they have a very valid/reasonable response:

No, you may not have a free server transfer, 'just because.' We only offer free server transfer to correct severe imbalances in realm populations and keep a proper player to server ratio. If those issues are not being corrected you may pay to change servers or re-roll as always.

Doesn't this sound like trading in complaint A for complaint B? They currently have a valid / reasonable response for complaint A; you just don't like it. Is it not possible that people won't like the canned response to complaint B?

Doesn't the line "If those issues are not being corrected you may pay to change servers or re-roll as always" apply to your complaint as well? For example:

No, you may not have a free server transfer, 'just because.' We only offer free server transfer to reduce overpopulation in our most populated realms. If those issues are not being corrected you may pay to change servers or re-roll as always.

Paying to transfer to play with RL friends is one thing. Paying extra to get to a server with a viable population is another.

And free transfers are only ever in one direction, from high population to low, and in the long term they don't work because you just end up with the players who transferred finding themselves stuck on a low population server with all of its problems.

The only fix is with forced mergers and the biggest part of that is fixing issues with duplicate names.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
$25 transfer to move all characters from one server to another server.

Move up to 11 of your characters on a single low pop server to a new high pop server. If your name is taken it was your choice to move. Make a new name.

For those that don't want to move, don't want a new name, don't want to pay a one time transfer fee of $25 for all characters at one time.... can stay where they are as they are obviously happy. Everyone wins.
90 Human Mage
I will unfortunately agree with GC.. I played another game during my tenure away from WoW. They didn't merge servers instead they disguised it as free server moves. Some in the community were up in arms over having to change their names if they moved, but if they didn't they were still going to be stuck on dead servers. Ultimately everyone was forced merged into mega servers, but people loosing their names (a lot of which people were online in the game before hand so they could preregister and save their names) meant a lot to them.

For me personally there is only one character that I truly care about if I lost that name. I would be very upset if I did, it is my main and my first character. It is the one that I have poured a whole lot of blood sweat and tears into over the years. So yeah I would get upset.

Does that mean that everyone will be upset. No.. But you will see QQ on the forums akin to the ReadID threads if it were to happen. The gnashing of teeth and threats of self mutilation would be significant.
90 Pandaren Monk
01/23/2013 07:35 AMPosted by Nayaga
It's not the name, it's the time invested to gear-up, grind up reps, get titles, get achievements, get pets . . .

Titles, achievements, pets, mounts all will show up with your new character when you roll it on the new server so it's really only the gear and rep.
90 Draenei Shaman
Whatever issues they have done before, they have merged servers in China and Korea.

You could also make it voluntary and offer free transfers off low population servers to higher population realms. This way those that want low pop realms keep them, those that donn't get off. Also people would be giving up thier names.

You do realize Blizzard has nothing to do whatsoever with how Netease manages the game right?
I does mean technically it can be done.
90 Tauren Druid
01/23/2013 06:42 AMPosted by Liliana
Also, this thread has very little to do with the price of moving off server.

How can you say that with a straight face? If the price was free does this thread exist?

Also if you read any CRZ threads there are many players who choose low pop servers for a reason. So how do you distinguish those who want to stay low pop vs the ones who want to go to a higher pop server. Is it possibly you just alienated another set of players and now they will quit. Catch 22 and Blizzard cant win.
11 Human Warrior
01/23/2013 07:25 AMPosted by Akatsuki

So because blizzard opened more servers than its population could reasonably handle, because blizzard hasn't trimmed servers as its population dipped and because players don't want to transfer to the lowest of low pop servers, this is a player created issue?

Why would Blizzard open servers if the population couldn't handle it?

They opened up servers due to demand. 2-3M left the game. Now there are more servers than is really needed. However, not every server needs to be full or a high population server. There still exists free ways of moving by rerolling and if someone really wanted to leave that badly and was not really just looking for a free or discounted bulk transfer(which is the popular trend), they would reroll.

DO I think they should merge servers. Yup. I would merge all the low pop servers into one larger server for each type. That is just off the top of my head. I have no insight to server populations, activity or anything.
90 Blood Elf Priest
SSC
01/23/2013 07:42 AMPosted by Kokomisu
Also, this thread has very little to do with the price of moving off server.

How can you say that with a straight face? If the price was free does this thread exist?

Also if you read any CRZ threads there are many players who choose low pop servers for a reason. So how do you distinguish those who want to stay low pop vs the ones who want to go to a higher pop server. Is it possibly you just alienated another set of players and now they will quit. Catch 22 and Blizzard cant win.

That's not true they can win and win. They could end the sillness of crz and offer people free transfers off dieing realms. Those that want there low population servers without crz get it, those that want off get it.
90 Draenei Death Knight
01/23/2013 07:39 AMPosted by Somaliu

Titles, achievements, pets, mounts all will show up with your new character when you roll it on the new server so it's really only the gear and rep.

So? You didn't earn them with the other toons.

I hate the achieve sharing thing. This toon has done a lot.. and when my lower level toons get the same achieve.. it sucks doing the same achieve and getting really no recognition for it cause my main already has it.
90 Human Warrior
01/23/2013 07:32 AMPosted by Smexygrowl

No, we wouldn't be trading one complaint for another. People are currently asking/begging/demanding free server transfers for any number of reasons. They include but are not limited to:
1) server population
2) quality of server
3) pvp vs pve vs rp
4) desire to play with friends
5) desire to get away from trolls

However, forced mergers would be resolving a problem. Complaint =/= problem in all cases.

Yes, there are issues with server mergings. Its not as simple/straight forward as some people want to make them. But no, the issues that are being thrown at as as roadblocks are not insurmountable. GC is making mountains out of molehills to prove a point. Again, if there are truly insurmountable issues that prevent server merging, then what are they?
11 Human Warrior
They can figure out how to let you quest and do older raids with others but cann't...

Figure out how to let you mail boa's from server to server.

Figure out how to let you do current content raids with people from real id.

Figure out how to allow trading across realm.

I am sorry it appears the effort put into trying to do anything for low population realms is next to none.

So the game engine was not created to allow for cross server communication. They created a way to pull people from other servers to put them into groups on BG servers and instance servers. They modified the engine so you can group up cross server through RealID and now with CRZ. Even with all of this you cannot pass items cross server.

It is my opinion that this new unannounced feature will be the ability to send you other server toons you heirlooms or have them available via a tab in your character screen like your titles.

The thing is it takes time. Newer games are built up from the bottom up with these features in place. WoW started off as a modified WC3 engine. It has been changed and upgraded ever since. You try taking a piece of software as big as WoW and and as old as WoW and modernize it and tell me how easy it can be done.
90 Draenei Shaman

Rep will not, that slow grind has to happen all over again. If I had to start over a level one, I would quit. That's a fact.
Edited by Nayaga on 1/23/2013 7:58 AM PST
Not all titles and mounts will transfer either. I have 3 toons with the old pvp titles and none of my new ones can use those. I believe raid titles are one toon only as well. My server is fine so I have no real problem whatever people decide but if I was stuck on a dead server I'd probably pay to get my toons off, however much the fee was. And I'd curse the name of the greedy punk who made it my only option. I'm sure he's used to it by now of course. :)
90 Pandaren Monk
to gc from a PAYING Customer not using twits for twitter, you have no idea what we want by the way you have removed yourself from these forums now many players will remove themselves from game so i suggest looking for a new lead job soon blizzard will be looking for a fall guy and you will be it!

sub runs out in two months and i will be done with wow.

Such Arrogance and Ignorance is not acceptable you keep living in that dreamworld.

You have done a lot of good for this game but now you show just how much you care about the player base way to tarnish a good rep.

Goodbye and good luck with your future gaming endeavors. You won't be missed.
90 Human Warrior
I find it strange that there is so much talk about this. Many other games have done free server transfers and had little to no issue. I don't care if they merge and a name is a name. I like mine and it sucks to have to rename but thats life. Its like the real world. I want my name and no one else can have it. pfffft lame. Anyway there are some hurdles to overcome with this change if they were to merge but merely stating its not going to happen shows Blizz doesn't listen to anyone but themselves.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]