Low population servers - CG answers questions

90 Human Warrior
to gc from a PAYING Customer not using twits for twitter, you have no idea what we want by the way you have removed yourself from these forums now many players will remove themselves from game so i suggest looking for a new lead job soon blizzard will be looking for a fall guy and you will be it!

sub runs out in two months and i will be done with wow.

Such Arrogance and Ignorance is not acceptable you keep living in that dreamworld.

You have done a lot of good for this game but now you show just how much you care about the player base way to tarnish a good rep.

Goodbye and good luck with your future gaming endeavors. You won't be missed.

Wow this post was not needed. Thanks for adding to the discussion. I have changed my mind because if it and now want no mergers or free realm transfers.
90 Tauren Druid
GC response:

With all due respect, I think you're wrong that players will happily change their names.

Implement last names. All you'd have to do is regulate the last names the same as you do first names. No titles, gibberish, l33t speak, swearing, ETC.

Same first name? Who cares, I'm known as Eddie in real life and have met a few other ones. Same last name? Nope, not a single person. Someone will pop in with why my idea is bad, which is ok! This was just off the top of my head as a solution with the name issues. It doesn't help with guilds though or arena teams. This guild here is my very own guild, only my avatars are in it. Its special to me, got to level 9 all alone in just a couple months. If I had to change it I would if I was on a realm with nobody else to another one.

I'm not on a low pop realm, but I was before I paid transfer to here last July. I would have gladly given up all my names to transfer all my avatars over, but no way was I gonna spend the 7 realm + Faction changes. I honestly would be a lot happier if I could have been able to move them all from a dead realm to this active one if all I had to do was change my names. But, that is just me personally.

Does anyone remember those front page Blizzard polls on the wow site? They should do a poll about free transfer to consolidate realms if changing their name would be worth it, lol. I'd bet that most people on non-low pop realms would vote "No I wouldn't" even though they would have no intentions of leaving anyways so the results would be inconclusive technically.
90 Tauren Druid
Doesn't this sound like trading in complaint A for complaint B? They currently have a valid / reasonable response for complaint A; you just don't like it. Is it not possible that people won't like the canned response to complaint B?

No, we wouldn't be trading one complaint for another. People are currently asking/begging/demanding free server transfers for any number of reasons. They include but are not limited to:
1) server population
2) quality of server
3) pvp vs pve vs rp
4) desire to play with friends
5) desire to get away from trolls

However, forced mergers would be resolving a problem. Complaint =/= problem in all cases.

Yes, there are issues with server mergings. Its not as simple/straight forward as some people want to make them. But no, the issues that are being thrown at as as roadblocks are not insurmountable. GC is making mountains out of molehills to prove a point. Again, if there are truly insurmountable issues that prevent server merging, then what are they?

First of all, I'm glad you get that you can't just give your customers whatever they want. That's not how to run a business.

But you are saying that in the sea of all the "complaints" that could be resolved by free server transfers (lets not forget the biggest one is simply poverty), forced mergers is the only one (or one among) that truly resolves an actual "problem". Does this imply the other complains aren't actual problems?

And what makes low population servers a real problems, where the others aren't, besides your opinion and the opinions of a handful of people (i.e. less that 1/10 of 1% of subscribers) on the forums? Real question here trying to understand what separates fact from opinion. A majority doesn't make something a fact but it is powerful, but regardless we clearly do not have anything close to that. I'm just trying to understand what makes this issue a true "problem" when everything else is just a "complaint".

As for your final paragraph I agree the issues are not insurmountable, but argue that it will come at a very high financial cost and make a number of people unhappy.

EDIT: Real poverty, the inability to afford food, water, shelter, and other necessities of health and survival, is a real problem that we, as global citizens, should all contribute in fighting...
Edited by Smexygrowl on 1/23/2013 8:38 AM PST
100 Pandaren Monk
01/23/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Owlkapone
and to you who said i wont be missed is that supposed to offend me is that the best you got.

nope not at all. It's a Tseric quote from people saying they will quit. I also wished you luck in your future gaming endeavors. And it's a fact, none of us if we quit will be 'missed'. Unless there is a mass exodus of WoW customers we are insignificant and I don't see that happening any time soon.
100 Human Warrior
01/23/2013 08:35 AMPosted by Smexygrowl
But you are saying that in the sea of all the "complaints" that could be resolved by free server transfers (lets not forget the biggest one is simply poverty), forced mergers is the only one (or one among) that truly resolves an actual "problem". Does this imply the other complains aren't actual problems?

heh, have a response ready because I figured you'd ask this:

yes, the other complaints are actual problems. But lets face it, problems have to be categorized and set up in priority. Quite frankly, not want to pay a fee to move servers to play with a friend is not a problem that blizzard should even keep on its list.

Not all problems *should* be addressed by blizzard. Not all problems *can* be addressed by blizzard. They are all problems but some problems simply are more legitimate than others. Some are just as legit but may have more or less relevance for blizzard to address on a community level. For example at one point your option was to re-roll. Blizzard saw a community wide problem that was relevant to them to address so they implemented paid transfers. Wanting to change servers because you can't find a guild with raiding hours that suits you is a legit problem but not one I would say is relevant to blizzard. Its relevant to you and blizzard has an option - paid transfers. But not wanting to pay the fee is your problem and irrelevant to blizzard as it should be.

To me at least, having enough servers to handle the peak of 11-12mil players but having a population that dipped to 9mil players is a problem worth addressing. My guild has about 150 unique accounts. There are servers with less people than that logged in. Yes, thats a problem worth addressing.
I have a really hard time believing that some people are so obsessed over their name that they'd rather continue playing on a dead realm than change it. o.O Seriously, a name?.

Why wouldn't people get really attached to their names? It's the first and most prominent identifier that your character has. Some players take a lot of pride in what they consider a great name. I agree something should be done about low pop servers but forcing people to change their names would cause understandable complaints.
90 Orc Monk
/popcorn
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/23/2013 06:12 AMPosted by Liliana
Active server >>>>> Oh noz I lost meh name!

To some people yes although others would simply stop playing.
90 Draenei Death Knight
It is true GC can be a bit snarky in his answers. It is also true that I loathe CRZ. But what do you honestly expect Blizzard to do here, cater a solution for each one of you? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

This would be true if just one person was doing the complaining..but there are tons of low pop servers that need to be dealt with. They have had these issues for a long time and they haven't been taken care of. This isn't a ridiculous suggestion.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I fail to see why free character changes would be a problem. You can already transfer, and you may lose your name, thats the actual situation. Making it free doesn't change that. Nobody is forced to change after all.

All other things (being "forced" to change realms and therefore losing names) are pure speculation.

Also, I like the idea of last names, it would take like 20 seconds to code: "forall players if (player is from A realm) asign LastnameA; "

You would have to invent, what, 200 last names, 4000 if you made one for each race?
90 Draenei Death Knight
01/23/2013 08:45 AMPosted by Llake
I have a really hard time believing that some people are so obsessed over their name that they'd rather continue playing on a dead realm than change it. o.O Seriously, a name?.

Why wouldn't people get really attached to their names? It's the first and most prominent identifier that your character has. Some players take a lot of pride in what they consider a great name. I agree something should be done about low pop servers but forcing people to change their names would cause understandable complaints.

Then don't change their name. Add a last name. Everyone has one of them.
90 Human Warrior
01/23/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Owlkapone
Wow this post was not needed. Thanks for adding to the discussion. I have changed my mind because if it and now want no mergers or free realm transfers.

I don't let people who disagree with my thoughts bother me, i have a right to my opinion just like they do, yes some people will praise blizzard no matter what they do, I have in the past done the same thing but after latest remarks by gc and the fact they refuse to use there own forums to address players concerns.

if that makes me a bad guy for pointing that out, i'm old enough to deal with it at least i was not name calling or making threats like many have done in here and in d3 forums.

and to you who said i wont be missed is that supposed to offend me is that the best you got.

I enjoy wow but not the ignoring of player base concerns.

People like her annoy me. Everyone has their rights. I want mine so I assume they want theirs. What I don't get is Free Realm transfers would be fine for most who want to move but like in every part of life you have the hardcore who assume because they don't want it that everyone else doesn't either.

Take a list of servers to move from and a list to move too. If you don't want to move then don't. I'd like to move and I don't mind losing my name. I don't think rerolling is a vaild reason for not having free transfers nor is the name issue.

If the need is so dire for them to not merge than maybe allow guilds to petition to be moved and if someone doesn;t want to go then they can stay.

I imagine many things could be done to relieve this issue but just seems Blizz isn't making the effort to try.
90 Goblin Hunter
Wonders if all the people that QQ about this would also be the first to QQ about not being able to log on for hours at a time in the first month or so of a New Patch/Xpac from being transfered to a high pop server? Cuz yea I remember that on Kel'Thuzad. Total crap shoot if you could even log on that day. And if something happened and you got bumped then back of the line for you to try and re-log.

Point being there are issues on both sides of the coin. Be careful what you ask for... You just might get it.
90 Draenei Death Knight
01/23/2013 08:53 AMPosted by Shamrunt
Wonders if all the people that QQ about this would also be the first to QQ about not being able to log on for hours at a time in the first month or so of a New Patch/Xpac from being transfered to a high pop server? Cuz yea I remember that on Kel'Thuzad. Total crap shoot if you could even log on that day. And if something happened and you got bumped then back of the line for you to try and re-log.

You can make higher population servers without having too much at one time.
90 Human Warrior

Point being there are issues on both sides of the coin. Be careful what you ask for... You just might get it.

That sir is a valid point and one that would annoy me. I still think free but well managed transfers would cut down on all the complaining. I personally wouldn't go to KT, Darkspear or Tich I think is one.

As I said in my other post have to and from realms and it would leave out the big hitters so it wouldn't get worse for them.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]