Click casting vs keybinding

85 Troll Hunter
Just curious...

How many of you healers Click cast with healbot, grid, etc..

And who uses key binds?

I click cast using healbot..
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I use keybound mouseover macros. I also use Clique to bind some things that I don't need to see on my bars - some bound to keys, some to mouse.
Reply Quote
65 Pandaren Monk
Click with vuh do but I also keybind a couple spells and have a few macros.
Reply Quote
35 Blood Elf Priest
Mouseover macros on a raid frame.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I used to use Healbot back in wrath but switched to raid frames in Cata. Now I'm trying to find a decent addon to help with my Hands because I've just plain old run out of keybinds. I tried Healbot and Grid and I hated them, I'm messing around with vuhdo now but I can't seem to get it where it doesn't look like addon vomit and I end up dragging it to the side and pulling out the raid frames.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/22/2013 05:11 AMPosted by Ceresc
Now I'm trying to find a decent addon to help with my Hands because I've just plain old run out of keybinds

Do you use your mousewheel for anything yet? It makes a good bind for emergency buttons, since it's always close.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Mouseover macros (when not Fistweaving). I'm not sure how I'd really be able to move while click-casting.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2013 05:11 AMPosted by Ceresc
I used to use Healbot back in wrath but switched to raid frames in Cata. Now I'm trying to find a decent addon to help with my Hands because I've just plain old run out of keybinds. I tried Healbot and Grid and I hated them, I'm messing around with vuhdo now but I can't seem to get it where it doesn't look like addon vomit and I end up dragging it to the side and pulling out the raid frames.

this made me laugh because I tried all the mods out there, spent hours configuring them for HPally, and hated them. I've never been a clicker, and there are some abilities you simply don't need as holy. Adjust your frames how you want em, and use more complex mouseover macros, they're easy to find on Icy Veins and such. I use a gaming keyboard so all of my keys are super easy to hit with my left hand...If you're struggling with keys, keep in mind there are abilities like Judgement we simply don't need and i highly recommend buying a gaming keyboard, it's fantastic for non-click healing ;)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'll never use click-healing or a special frame addon ever again for one simple reason: Addons break during patches and authors don't always update or are slow to update. Mouseover keybinding rarely break with updates and if it does break you can fix the macro yourself in moments. You can also easily change a macro if you want to change how something is performing.
Reply Quote
I have a Razer mouse and have all my commonly used spells bound to 1 through = as well as a shift modifier for those buttons too. That means I have access to 24 different buttons using only my thumb. This was a rough transition when I first switched from keyboard binds, but it was worth it. (In fact, I was god-awful for at least two weeks)

To make all this work effectively, I also have mouseover macros built into all my heals.

This was the best thing I have ever done to improve my gameplay.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I use mouseover macros on VuhDo.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I use mostly keybinds, I have a few things tied to mouse buttons, and dispel tied to Vuhdo's right click.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I use both. I use Clique binds to cast the most, but I still keep all my mouseover macros at hand for those cases where I need them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mouseover macros FTW. I used to be a clicker, but the bottom line was that without an additional click or two, my reaction speed is much higher.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Do you use your mousewheel for anything yet? It makes a good bind for emergency buttons, since it's always close.

I use my mouse wheel for my camera zoom. I find myself using it quite a bit due to positioning, especially on high movement fights. I tried keybinding it when i had vuhdo up but i kept accidentally sacing random players while trying to zoom :(

01/22/2013 06:56 AMPosted by Elfuegø
Adjust your frames how you want em, and use more complex mouseover macros,

Atm I have 32 spells keybound to various buttons/modifiers but I really hate modifiers, but unfortunately, I hate the addons more :(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
01/22/2013 07:28 AMPosted by Grunul
I use mouseover macros on VuhDo.
Edited by Kuruption on 1/22/2013 9:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I'll never use click-healing or a special frame addon ever again for one simple reason: Addons break during patches and authors don't always update or are slow to update. Mouseover keybinding rarely break with updates and if it does break you can fix the macro yourself in moments. You can also easily change a macro if you want to change how something is performing.

What game are you playing? This hasn't been true for years. I mean, to be blunt, I haven't had a patch break my healing addon since burning crusade. Even when the expansions are coming out, I'm able to log in and load the addons without losing any functionality.

-------------------------------------------

The correct answer is to utilize all 3 different methods. Use your primary spells as your click binds. From there, use mouseover macros for targeted spells and keep them bound to your primary accessible keys. Follow that up with a few other direct keybinds for non-target abilities or longer cooldown abilities.

If you are binding 30 different keybinds to your mouse, you are going to forget them or not press the right ones when you need them. Using only the most common few spells as your mouse clicks, you won't have to think about which spell is which keybind. Using the mouseover macros on your action bar gives you a much easier visual for the abilities and it also helps with displaying the cooldown on the abilities.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Good old keybinds and for targeting I've always just clicked their portrait/raid-frame. Don't know why, just found it easier than anything else and more effective. I had healbot back in Wrath but never really used it since I found it nearly identical to keybinding, but that's just me.

I also bind my keys pretty well though, I have nearly every ability bound and within reach, other abilities I do activate by clicking ONLY because they require forethought to actually know when you want to use them (like guardian), however all those are also keybound in case I absolutely need to hit them quicker.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I typically do half and half. I have been using healbot since WotLK, clicking heals is the easiest way for me out of habit and practice. I also use quite a few keybinds, shift+(letter of the alphabet goes here) plus the basic c,f,e,r,v,x,z. I have never needed anymore keybinds than those and I typically use the same general spell on each keybind. For example I use the F key to keep my Nature's Swiftness on my druid/shammy and taunt on all of my tanks consistency which leads to more streamlined efficiency. The combination of both in my opinion is the optimal for having full options of what you can use.

Lyx
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I use healbot. I also set the MT as my focus target and use a few macros with shift mods. Off the top of my head... Hand of Sac, Beacon, and Lay on Hands. Oh and I use the Decursive addon. Reason being is that I'm in no way amber dexterous... I can't train my left hand to do keybinds. I also have small hands so using a gaming mouse or keyboard is not an option for comfort reasons. I also like to get manicures and don't want to mash on a keyboard. So I use clicking addons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]