Project Titan isn't a new IP?

83 Night Elf Warrior
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/01/rumor-blizzards-titan-is-not-a-new-ip-and-could-be-heading-to/

I think it will be a MMO based on Starcraft. It's still a rumor at this point, but I never thought that it was a coincidence that Project Titan was announced the same year that Starcraft 2 was.
Edited by Firo on 1/23/2013 11:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
We already know its a new IP though. That article is two paragraphs of unsupported speculation that makes absolutely no sense. Titan won't be console lol.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Calling it right here:

World of Lost Vikings
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
01/23/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Firo
It's still a rumor at this point

With nothing to support it. The guy is basically just guessing with no real facts or anything. And while he may have been right in the past he has no evidence for it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Eeeyup, load of bull detected.

The one and only link to what it claims is evidence, is broken. "Sorry, we couldn't find that." says the link.

Baseless rumors are baseless.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Speculation. I doubt Blizzard is going to make a new MMO in the same light as WoW which would divide their playerbase and not bring in more people. People who like MMOs and are fans of Blizzard are already playing WoW. Adding another self competing MMO to that list would not yield them much in terms of profits after the initial surge of box sales.

There's more profit to be made in having a brand new IP targeted at a different audience with some crossover.

If I were to bet money, it would be an MMOFPS hybrid, using a model akin to League of Legends where it's free to play with vanity/cosmetic microtransactions as to appeal to the massive audience of people flocking to those types of games lately. That model would alsoallow WoW to maintain its subscription numbers without competition or quitting for the new game since you aren't forcing your existing playerbase to make a choice. Blizzard has even stated before that the new game would be a new IP aimed at a different audience.

Blizzard doesn't have anything to gain by adding another WoW style MMO to its lineup and not as much room to add to their existing IPs which all have their own following for using different distinct gameplay. Adding a new IP gives more development freedom without the game having expectations built from the existing games in an already established IP.
Edited by Sneakytime on 1/23/2013 4:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Warrior
01/23/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Sneakytime
If I were to bet money, it would be an MMOFPS hybrid, using a model akin to League of Legends where it's free to play with vanity/cosmetic microtransactions as to appeal to the massive audience of people flocking to those types of games lately.

I think that is a very sound bit of speculation. I've been thinking something along the same lines, based on nothing but Blizzard's comments that Titan won't be a direct competitor of WoW.

I actually think it might have a cross-platform, or even mobile element to it. One of the more fresh ideas I've seen lately came from CCP, with their Dust FPS game on PS3 that works in conjunction with EVE. Blizzard tends to scoop up big new ideas from other studios and shine them up, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did that with Titan.
Edited by Steelbelly on 1/23/2013 4:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
01/23/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Firo
I think it will be a MMO based on Starcraft. It's still a rumor at this point, but I never thought that it was a coincidence that Project Titan was announced the same year that Starcraft 2 was.

They could just call it World of Starcraft
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Wasn't Blizzard partnering with Bungiee for some unnamed secret project that very well could have been Titan?

If so, that woudl definately support the MMOFPS hypothesis.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
01/23/2013 08:06 PMPosted by Osirus
it will have over 11 billion players.

Damn, it will have more players than people alive.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
01/23/2013 10:22 PMPosted by Tevinter
it will have over 11 billion players.

most of those will be accounts for Chinese credit farmers though
Reply Quote
83 Night Elf Warrior
It's still a rumor at this point

With nothing to support it. The guy is basically just guessing with no real facts or anything. And while he may have been right in the past he has no evidence for it.

Of course. That's why it's a rumor. But, he does seem to have source who is friend of a friend who works or has worked at Blizzard.
Edited by Firo on 1/24/2013 7:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/24/2013 07:08 AMPosted by Firo
Of course. That's why it's a rumor. But, he does seem to have source who is friend of a friend who works or has worked at Blizzard.

No no no, you got it wrong. It's the cousin of Rob Pardo's 2nd cousin's dogwalker's hairstylist.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
That article is a total joke it makes no since and he has nothing to back it up. I truely expect the new MMO to be a brand new IP like every big exec from blizzard has been saying for years. Considering its project name is Titan i am expecting it to be science fiction which will keep it separate from the fantasy world of WoW. What hope titan is in my dreams, is what i expected Dust 514 and Eve Online to be. I would love to see a Science Fiction game where you go from fighting on the planets surface for resources, planet control, taking over guild bases NPC and Player controlled and jumping right into your ship and taking the fight to the deepest ends of the galaxy seamlessly. You would have two game play types, ship combat and either a 3rd person or first person combat on the ground and you would have to upgrade and level not only your character but your ship as well. This is something that really hasn't been touched in the MMO world or really in most video games. Eve tried to this by adding Dust 514 but spliting the cummunity on 2 dif platforms doesn't work.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/23/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Sneakytime
If I were to bet money, it would be an MMOFPS hybrid, using a model akin to League of Legends where it's free to play with vanity/cosmetic microtransactions as to appeal to the massive audience of people flocking to those types of games lately.

So... PlanetSide 2?

PlanetSide 2 is exactly that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

So... PlanetSide 2?

PlanetSide 2 is exactly that.

And that genre has been growing a lot lately, they'd have lots of competition:

Planetside 2
Defiance
Firefall
Mechwarrior
That other mecha game whose name I forget

And probably others I am not aware of, as I don't really follow shooters.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Warlock
There is a really good post on Titan Buzz about this. Its called "The Facts: Is Project Titan A Spinoff or a Brand New Property?" and it goes over everything that guy talks about. Good post.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
01/23/2013 11:11 PMPosted by Drakmor

most of those will be accounts for salarian credit farmers though

Fixed for continuity of metaphor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]