Open Libram LXV: A Fury Divine

100 Human Paladin
'no sir, i don't like it!'
100 Blood Elf Paladin
01/28/2013 10:13 PMPosted by Covahredro
I grew up

What's funny is that most the humor from Animaniacs is over kids' heads. Children don't really get satire, and that show was chock full of it. Funnier still, older folk don't give shows like this a chance, so they miss the genius of it all. But hey, people are like that.

Cartoons actually were good back in the day. Pretty sure that all changed when Pokemon aired on TV. My soul has never recovered.

Shonen stuff is like a guilty pleasure. They strike me as lazy story telling. And they are soooo bad ;x Seriously? Goku just spent the whole last 2 episodes powering up and screaming... and he's yet to show HIS TRUE POWER. Pfft.

The Berserk movie ( in three parts, i believe ) is just a retelling of the old series, as far as I know. Essentially, it's nothing new. It simply looks a little cleaner. Not even a reboot. I'll still watch the hell out of it though. Epic story with epic characters ;o

Pretty sure Tri-Gun, NGE, Helsing, Ruroni Kenshin (not the !@#$TY Samurai X dub), and FLCL were the last really good series I've seen. I watched Claymore recently, it wasn't bad. I'm probably out of touch with anime, since I noticed a long time ago that most of them are the %^-*ing same. I think the single shot movies based on a series are called OVAs. Usually, in my experience, they end up being better than the series itself. Oh, and fan service is obnoxious.

"Oh, you mean I'm supposed to watch Ikki Toussen with my pants around my ankles?! Roger that!".

So ya, !@#$ anime. Although, we get gems like Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D every once in a while.
Edited by Vlada on 1/29/2013 12:28 AM PST
100 Draenei Paladin
01/28/2013 07:54 PMPosted by Cayse
Correction, amberdude down on 7 minutes, 59 seconds!

Oh come on!

You're doing in one raid night what took my guild two, at this rate you'll have Queen before us. <_<

Grats. >:(

XD

We were supposed to raid tonight, which would have been our fourth raid night this week which is a lot for us, but some people couldn't make it.

Went and did H BoT to see Sinestra for the experience of it with 8 people, because we never could make it in Cata. Cool fight and I can see how it would have been hard as crap in the day.

Also seems to have messed with my armory from that time though.....

I didn't like the reused KJ model and death scene, wasn't really fitting for her lore. But she had good voice acting.

01/28/2013 07:49 PMPosted by Snozberries
I wouldn't be surprised to find out Young Justice and Green Lantern getting canned has to do with the rising concerns about youth getting exposed to violence.

Oh not that again.

I will be so glad when the current generation in political power completely dies out and the younger generation completely takes over. It's happening already, slowly but surely.

It won't be much better, but some stupidity will die with the old hopefully.

I grew up

You could have fooled me.

Enjoying cartoons is not an indication of maturity level.

01/29/2013 12:25 AMPosted by Vlada
Shonen stuff is like a guilty pleasure.

Shonen stuff is horrid and not worth the time it takes to make.

But even I had guilty pleasures in the genre. Inuyasha and Dragon Ball Z being the two major ones back in the day.

On the subject of animation in the 90's and now kids are missing out these days. I remember coming home from school too Toonami everyday and growing up with Saturday morning cartoons of epic proportions.

They don't really have that anymore.

/random

Fun game to play with friends when bored. Everybody pair up, one person is a max level the other is a lowbie, in the 10-20 range. Then pick a high level zone and a start and end position.

Object of the game is for the pairs to run the race with the high level keeping the lowbie alive. Every 30 seconds or so the lowbie is allowed to run wild and try to cause trouble until the high level can catch them (run over their toon) and then they have to behave for at least 30 seconds.

Whoever gets to the end with their lowbie alive first wins, ressing is allowed but will obviously hold you back.

Also there's a prize for the lowbie that causes the most ruckus.

No flying, all on foot. Judges follow in the air on mounts. My guild did this tonight and it was actually great fun. :D
Edited by Cadenbrie on 1/29/2013 12:56 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2013 12:50 AMPosted by Cadenbrie
On the subject of animation in the 90's and now kids are missing out these days. I remember coming home from school too Toonami everyday and growing up with Saturday morning cartoons of epic proportions.

I remember getting up early to watch stuff like Digimon and Reboot before going to school, it was good stuff.

I grew up

Is someone trying to steal my title as edgy 13-year-old?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Pretty sure Exo-Squad was one of the last good Saturday morning cartoons in the 90s. Batman TSA was epic. The JLA, before they expanded past the main 6-7 heroes (JLA: United? ), was also decent. There's been a few animated adaptations of the Avengers and Fantastic 4 that didn't suck. The last 2 X men cartoons were ok. And I'm not even going to get into the anime Iron Man and Wolverine... they don't feel right ;o The new Thundercats was a huge disappointment.

I grew up on He-Man, Transformers G1, Bionic Six, GI Joe, Voltron, and Thundercats. I'm not saying those were best, I mean, have you tried watching an old TC episode? Holy crap they are bad. But they are vastly more interesting than kid's playing a card game for the fate of the world or capturing creatures that all happen to sound annoying to use them in pit fights.

Shame about Young Justice, it was actually pretty good.
100 Draenei Paladin
were the last really good series I've seen.

Gurren Lagann, Death Note, Code Geass, Psycho Pass, etc. There's still quite a few good titles out there. It's just a matter of sifting through the schlock.

01/29/2013 02:20 AMPosted by Vlada
Pretty sure Exo-Squad was one of the last good Saturday morning cartoons in the 90s. Batman TSA was epic. The JLA, before they expanded past the main 6-7 heroes (JLA: United? ), was also decent. There's been a few animated adaptations of the Avengers and Fantastic 4 that didn't suck. The last 2 X men cartoons were ok. And I'm not even going to get into the anime Iron Man and Wolverine... they don't feel right ;o The new Thundercats was a huge disappointment.

Justice League Unlimited, Spectacular Spiderman, Static Shock, and Batman Beyond were all quite good as well. All bu the Spiderman were done by the same studio that did Batman the Animated Series (if I'm remembering correctly). But still, there's gems every now and again.

Shonen stuff is like a guilty pleasure. They strike me as lazy story telling. And they are soooo bad ;x

Shonen stuff is horrid and not worth the time it takes to make.

Some is, some isn't.

You could have fooled me.

Enjoying cartoons is not an indication of maturity level.

It's kind of quaint to see lines being drawn in the sand on maturity, on a video game forum no less.
90 Human Paladin
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” C.S. Lewis

I can quote famous authors, that means I'm the most mature right?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2013 12:12 AMPosted by Martana
'no sir, i don't like it!'

"Happy, happy, joy joy,
Happy, happy, joy, joy!"

*buttbomp*

God that show was so terribly laced with potty humor, how did I miss it as a kid? I LOVED it.

What's funny is that most the humor from Animaniacs is over kids' heads. Children don't really get satire, and that show was chock full of it. Funnier still, older folk don't give shows like this a chance, so they miss the genius of it all. But hey, people are like that.

I actually had to have an older cousin explain the jokes to me when I was younger, but all I really cared about was the goofy animation. When I grew older, and had the services of say, Google and Wikipedia to explain the jokes of Animaniacs and other shows like Tiny Toons and whatnot, I was floored at the level of detail the animators put into their humor. Nowadays it's hard to find a cartoon that you can really dig into like that. Heck, hard to find a clever show like that period that isn't Arrested Development, a lot of the shows seem bland in comparison.

Then again, I do watch How I Met Your Mother, and while people either love it or hate it, you can't deny it's fun for a lot of dumb humor.

But even I had guilty pleasures in the genre. Inuyasha and Dragon Ball Z being the two major ones back in the day.

Man, it took FOREVER for Kagome and Inuyasha to finally get together, though that's a good thing more often than not (still, find it funny that the animation studio cancelled it until the author of the manga could finally finish the damn story, it really was taking DBZ style turns in just LASTING. TOO. DAMN. LONG. FOR NEXT. SUPERPOWE--I MEAN, SUPER SWORD).

01/29/2013 01:56 AMPosted by Elidra
I remember getting up early to watch stuff like Digimon and Reboot before going to school, it was good stuff.

I'm still of the opinion that Digimon Tamers was the best of the seasons and the world would be better with more animation like it. It had incredible insight for a Japanese toy franchise anime.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh, Death Note was mentioned earlier, so I feel it's appropriate to share this, in light of all this animation talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Q8Vhk5Qjc
90 Blood Elf Warrior
My brother describes it being as Dragon ball Z

dragon ball z with slightly more reasonable hair. it is a shame, it did start out very good.

watching beast wars was my motivation for getting up on time.

Gurren Lagann, Death Note, Code Geass, Psycho Pass, etc. There's still quite a few good titles out there. It's just a matter of sifting through the schlock.

i'm quite enjoying psycho pass, but there haven't been that any anime's that have really made me sit back and go "wow, that was good" in a long time. i think gurren lagann was the last one that did that for me.

i did like dead man wonderland and blue exorcist though.
100 Human Paladin
Morning Pally Crew

Talking about old cartoons is going to make me want to have a nostalgia day and watch some of them.

So much better than the crap they have on today that they call 'cartoons'
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Morning Pally Crew

Talking about old cartoons is going to make me want to have a nostalgia day and watch some of them.

So much better than the crap they have on today that they call 'cartoons'

Been having a Rocko and Hey Arnold marathon on Netflix, to complement my Futurama and Scrubs fix. Good times.
100 Human Paladin
Oh Rocko, I loved that show

Though I always wanted to puch Heffer in the face
90 Blood Elf Paladin

But that's all shounen stuff. Not to say some of it isn't good, but there's more to anime than that.

01/29/2013 07:20 AMPosted by Idoma
watching beast wars was my motivation for getting up on time.

I loved Beast Wars, but I don't think I got any of the channels it aired on. I do remember renting the tapes from Blockbuster, though.
100 Human Paladin
Maybe I'm just getting old and crochety, or nostalgia-goggles and all that

But honestly Adventure Time, Regular Show, Annoying Orange; I dont see the appeal of those shows, aside from their...lower quality animation.

In fact most of the 'popular' cartoons these days seem to share the same 'lower' animation quality (quality being relative to the person watching of course)
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Paladinchaz
Maybe I'm just getting old and crochety, or nostalgia-goggles and all that

No, it isn't just you. Modern cartoons are truly atrocious, even "reboots" of older cartoons. About the only contemporary Western cartoon I like is MLP, and even that's been fairly meh this season.
100 Human Paladin
There are good ones, but they really high production value, thought provoking ones keep being canceled or delayed (YJ, Avatar, GL, avengers, tron) for these new...'cartoons'

Its very disappointing because there are good ones out there, really good ones, but the companies themselves are killing them off with constant hiatuses, timeslot movements; regardless of if they're popular or not, so they can put out more crap.
100 Draenei Paladin

I remember Digimon being on the Saturday morning block, man I loved Digimon. Reboot was also quite awesome, I remember when the series stopped for a couple years after Bob vanished and then they brought it back to finally wrap up the story.

My early morning fun before school when I was a kid was classic Power Rangers.

Dragonzord!

“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” C.S. Lewis

I can quote famous authors, that means I'm the most mature right?

Totally.

That makes me want to go reread Narnia, C.S. Lewis was brilliant.

01/29/2013 06:51 AMPosted by Jackishi
until the author of the manga could finally finish the damn story,

I still haven't finished Inuyasha all these years later, haven't watched past the point the anime originally cut off at. I really should just for closures sake.

I'm still of the opinion that Digimon Tamers was the best of the seasons

It had incredible insight for a Japanese toy franchise anime.

The first season will always have a special place in my heart but Tamers was quite good, it was probably the darkest and most mature of all the series.

It dealt with some pretty deep stuff really.

01/29/2013 10:30 AMPosted by Elidra
I loved Beast Wars,

Beast Wars was win.

01/29/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Paladinchaz
But honestly Adventure Time, Regular Show,

Quality is relative, the art style of Adventure Time for instance is quite suited too it's content.

I describe Adventure Time by saying it's the Western version of FCLC. The show actually has a deep over arching story that is given to you in bits and pieces between hilarious crazy.

There aren't as many good animated shows these days as in the past, but there are still some gems. Adventure Time is one of them in my book. Regular Show is okay.

I wish Kora would start back already.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 1/29/2013 11:45 AM PST
100 Human Paladin
01/29/2013 11:39 AMPosted by Cadenbrie
Beats Wars was win.

Yea, but Beast Machines almost ruined that win.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]