Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate.

100 Worgen Death Knight
For those who were curious but not in the loop of knowledge regarding the Monster Hunter series, March 19th in the US (21st in the EU) is the date for the dual Wii U and 3ds release of Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate.

With it comes more monsters and subspecies (granted those were in Portable 3rd which we never got officially), the return of G Rank (level of difficulty higher than High Rank, originally shown in Freedom Unite), and new things to enjoy.

If you've not heard of Monster Hunter before, it's made by Capcom, the same ones who make your Street Fighter games. Monster Hunter is more popular in Japan but there is enough of a demand for it to be here in the US and Europe, the problem is Capcom derps about and doesn't pay attention to us. The only reason we got Tri on the Wii is because Nintendo did something good and pushed to release it themselves, and it ended up being one of the Wii's best sellers (even bundled with CC Pro package can still be bought!).

Just look up Monster Hunter Tri on youtube if you need to get an idea of the gameplay you will see in Tri U. Basically you have to actively dodge everything a monster does (solo play or up to a party of 4 online for a hunt), attack its weak spots (there are breaks and things you can cut off like tails!), and so much more than I have time to actively go into right now (gotta get out to college..ugh math). Also the MH musics are just epic, especially for Monsters like Lao Shan Lung and White Fatalis (older games like Unite before Tri) or in Tri itself, Deviljho, Alatreon, etc....

If you want a game where your own skill determines how good you do, look up the Monster Hunter series and fire up your Wii U's (or Wii's again if you still have Tri itself, servers close April).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Prior to my falling out with Capcom, I picked up Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii on a whim. I had heard of the Monster Hunter series before, never really gave it much thought but I decided, what the hell, I'll give this game a shot. It would turn out to be money well spent, as Tri was one of the funnest games I had played at that point in time. I enjoyed the fact that how easy or how difficult the game was depended on me alone, and the variety of different beasts and locales kept me on my toes. The music was fantastic, and Tri was also the reason I got a Wireless Router, so I could try fighting monsters online with other people, which also was a total blast.

Alas, all good things come to an end, and I eventually stopped playing it after farming Alatreon for a bit to make some new weapons. Still, I'll always remember the time I spent playing that game with a sense of fondness. If it weren't for Capcom's current business practices, I'd probably pick up Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate and re-experience the joys (and pains) of starting a new Hunter all over again. But if you are a fan of Monster Hunter, this game would probably be cool for you; just try to make sure Capcom doesn't nickel and dime you to death or otherwise screw you over.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I'm debating buying a 3DS just for this game, and possibly the OoT remake. I'm not sure though. I did buy a PSP just for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and easily got more than two hours of entertainment for every dollar I put in.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Like I said, despite my feelings towards Capcom these days, Monster Hunter Tri WAS a fantastic game and I'm sure you would enjoy the crap out of it, Manik. There are new monsters to fight in this not to mention some of the online only fights are fantastic to participate in. Seriously, my first Jhen Mohran fight stands as one of my top Monster Hunter moments. Right above that, was my first REAL Jhen Mohran fight, where I discovered that the Jhen Mohran I had fought prior was, to put it plainly, easy mode Jhen.

Good times, good times. God, where did Capcom go WRONG?!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I'm looking at two different options with this. The first is to import Monster Hunter Portable 3rd off eBay for my PSP for only $30-40 and just dealing with translating the Japanese (to be honest, language isn't important to the MH experience since there's so little story, but then again, there's all those armor skills). The second is to buy a 3DS and MH3U, running probably around $220, but I wouldn't have to deal with translating from Japanese. I'd also be set if Capcom decided to port MH4 to the states.

I guess it all depends on what kind of money I'm going to have in March...

I like the look of all the new additions, but Capcom, why did you bring back Plesioth?

I still have to finish MHFU too. I still have to beat Ukanlos, but there's the two G-Rank Black Diablos quest in my way...

I just double checked my playtime on my MHFU file. I've put 232 hours and 18 minutes into the game and I still haven't beat it.
Edited by Manik on 1/24/2013 9:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
I'm looking at two different options with this. The first is to import Monster Hunter Portable 3rd off eBay for my PSP for only $30-40 and just dealing with translating the Japanese (to be honest, language isn't important to the MH experience since there's so little story, but then again, there's all those armor skills). The second is to buy a 3DS and MH3U, running probably around $220, but I wouldn't have to deal with translating from Japanese. I'd also be set if Capcom decided to port MH4 to the states.

I guess it all depends on what kind of money I'm going to have in March...

I like the look of all the new additions, but Capcom, why did you bring back Plesioth?

I still have to finish MHFU too. I still have to beat Ukanlos, but there's the two G-Rank Black Diablos quest in my way...

I just double checked my playtime on my MHFU file. I've put 232 hours and 18 minutes into the game and I still haven't beat it.

Plesioth is actually easy to deal with if you have a hammer, and in Tri U it's hitbox is fixed supposedly so no more ridiculously cheap hits.

A good guide I found years ago on Youtube to how to easily beat any Plesioth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH-kNbXFwcg

And yeah G rank blos are a pain.....but dang if the Chaotic Order hammer or the King Atillart Sword (Great Sword) are not absolutely worth it, seriously good weapons.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have Monster Hunter doujins. Does that count?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
hehe when i get my tax return i am Buying a WiiU and 3DS for these 2 games we dont get many monster hunter games in the states so gotta get em when they come out (also getting the DS for Pokemon stuff).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]