First time healing.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have healium right now...someone told me to try healbot.

I leveled as ret all 90 levels.

I tried to run a group last night and was doing ok until the tank pulled when I was at 25% mana...we wiped and I got kicked.
Edited by Notyourpall on 1/22/2013 9:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you are talking in a heroic dungeon that the tank pulled/died then its not your fault

If he pulled several groups at once or the boss and wiped, then its his fault
If he died to a single pack of trash mobs then his gear is !@#$, we should not have to be there at all for heroics

Otherwise, basic holy-PvE strats
-Beacon the tank
-(for dungeons) 3 HP EF on the tank
-(for raids) blanket the raid with 1HP Eternal Flames
-spam Holy Light on non-beacon'd targets
-Holy Shock whenever its off cd

Spirit>Intellect>Mastery>Crit>Haste stat priority

Healbot is fine as an addon, I personally would recommend Clique + w/e raidframes you prefer

Clique basically lets you keybind your spells to only work when hovering over a specific player's unit/raid frame (settings and all that nonsense)

Clique basically lets you keybind spells to work only when hovering o
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Is Healium the one that gives you a little action bar next to your target's health frame to click on the spell you want to cast? If so, don't use it. That's a horrible design. If you don't have a mouse with more than 3 buttons, you can either use shift/alt/ctrl modifiers for your click mouseovers or (preferably) just bind your keys on your left hand (1234RTFG etc.) to mouseovers on your raid frames. Hover your mouse over the target, and press the corresponding button to heal.

Vuhdo is a really popular healing addon (I love it), but to be honest it's got a lot of setup and I'm not sure it's the best for a first time healer. Grid/Clique is even worse in regard to setup. I haven't used Healbot in years, but it might be more plug-n'-play. Idk.

In any event, you WILL have a learning curve if it's your first time healing. It happens to everyone, and the important thing is to recognize the ways that you're improving and use that as motivation to keep going. And if the tank is pulling when the undergeared healer is at 25% mana, there's not much you can do about it unfortunately.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you both very much. This will be a tremendous help.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have played dps classes for four years so this will be interesting. And I know I need some better healing gear (all i have is pvp healing gear cause it was cheap)

Thanks!
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Paladin
Just want to add that there is a very helpful holy pally guide stickied on this forum. Definitely check it out. Also you might consider picking up some cheap enchants off the ah. I know your gear isn't the best, but many enchants are literally selling for 10-20g each on my realm. Cheap upgrades if you are struggling to keep up.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2013 11:36 AMPosted by Corvala
Just want to add that there is a very helpful holy pally guide stickied on this forum. Definitely check it out. Also you might consider picking up some cheap enchants off the ah. I know your gear isn't the best, but many enchants are literally selling for 10-20g each on my realm. Cheap upgrades if you are struggling to keep up.

Yeah I have an enchanter on the same server, but I literally got kicked after my first dungeon and logged cause I was so mad lol.

I read a little bit of that guide today at work...very lengthy.

What do you guys think of Icy Veins?

There spell guide (rotation as they call it) is pretty simple.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
if the tank pulls when you are at 25% mana its kind of the tanks fault!
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Paladin
Icy veins is very helpful for class basics. I would definitely not stop your research there, but they are a good starting point.

Probably should have done this first, but i ltook a closer look at you in armoury.

You are using a strength weapon. And a significant number of strength pieces scattered around your gear. I'm hoping that you just got confused swapping gearsets around, but just in case you tried healing like that, a trip to the ah will do wonders. At this point even questing greens will be a vast improvement to the strength pieces you have. You can also visit vendors in all the leveling areas that sell basic int greens. It will be a night and day difference.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you are talking in a heroic dungeon that the tank pulled/died then its not your fault

If he pulled several groups at once or the boss and wiped, then its his fault
If he died to a single pack of trash mobs then his gear is !@#$, we should not have to be there at all for heroics

Otherwise, basic holy-PvE strats
-Beacon the tank
-(for dungeons) 3 HP EF on the tank
-(for raids) blanket the raid with 1HP Eternal Flames
-spam Holy Light on non-beacon'd targets
-Holy Shock whenever its off cd

Spirit>Intellect>Mastery>Crit>Haste stat priority

Basically, what this fellowdin said. Also, Divine Light tank if heavy damage is incoming (while beaconed, grants you a holy charge.) Also, Hand of Sacrifice (HoSac) and Divine Shield work wonderfully together (though would not recommend macro'ing it together), as does Divine Protection.

As a blood elf, i find myself using my racial when i don't necessarily have to, but 2% mana is 2% mana.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Healing dungeons can be scary at first, but you have the right attitude going in, I use vuh'do as my healing addon as its highly customizable and there are a few help videos on setting it up. Dont forget if you're having mana issues you are a blood elf and arcane torrent can end up being quite handy. Another thing to note, or rather something I have noticed with a few new healers in dungeons is they dont have a good dispel notificaiton set up. You want to know when you can dispel stuff. With most addons it comes built in, but better make sure.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]