Ever go to a bad concert?

90 Blood Elf Warlock
Awhile ago I made a forum here boasting about awesome concerts. Well after last night I feel like talking about the flip side.

Story time though for a moment. A couple years ago my mom and I went to go see Social Distortion. ( If any arizonians read this it was at the Marquee Theater ) Being a little younger I thought the fans would be mellow like my family. Yeah I learned the hard way to not go anywhere near the front row. A tall drunk woman stood right in front of us. Then punched me right in the nose. Now, I'm quite tiny, and being a nerd have never been in a fight. I'm just barely 104 pounds. So I remember just being in shock once my face was going "ow my face" and seeing the blood. Mom just went into mama bear mode and grabbed me, pulling me through a mosh pit just to get to the bathroom. Our joy for the concert fizzled so we left very early.

Now cut to last night. Same band because we wanted to make up for that disaster. Same crappy little theater. There are no chairs. Everybody is crammed in there like sardines. There is a ton of beer drinking. And a lot of pot smokers. We tried to find a spot more in the back. But that didn't exactly help. Once again, right before the show starts. A very tall person stands RIGHT in front of me. Like I didn't even exist. So instead of seeing the show I got to see a fat back and some jerk taking pictures with his drunk girlfriend. I'm not very violent in real life. But that guy was lucky there was a trash can in front of me or I would've just kicked him in the balls with my boots. -_-

It's now morning where I'm at. And I think all the foul air at that place freaked my lungs out. I don't go out much so I don't have a ton of exposure to pot air. God I hate the stuff. Who goes to a concert just to get high or drunk? I know, some might say "Oh I can do it no problem" Yeah but not everybody is sane when they're inebriated. It's either all the smoke there or just some people were sick in the theater and it jumped to me.

So yeah. As much as I enjoy Social Distortions music I decided to not try anymore with them. Not if they're continuing to use that crappy theater. Makes me wish Rammstein weren't going on break. I want to see them again to boost my "concerts are awesome" mentality. I feel honestly sad over all this crap.

Also their opening band sucked. Unless you're Rob Halford, don't do that stupid screaming crap in your music.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I saw a show consisting of Three, the deer hunter, and Coheed and cambria

Three and coheed were both fantastic, but The deer hunter was awful live. I love their studio work but live it was awful. It was also when a lot of the crowd started to smoke pot and cram forward for Coheed.

Luckily I am like 6'3" and I can see over almost everyone at a concert, but I was their with my 4'11" gf who was constantly having issues with people standing in front of her. She almost left based off of the deer hunter portion but was glad she stayed for coheed.

This was at Bogarts in Cincinnati, Ohio fyi. Typically an awesome venue.
Reply Quote
72 Undead Priest
I've been to a lot of concerts over the years and I haven't really had any bad experiences like that. Honestly, every time I get to a concert thinking it's going to be terrible (because of a band's fanbase or whatever) it ends up being nothing like I anticipated and I have an amazing time. There's always the usual annoyance of being hit on by creepy underage girls and it seems like people at the Newport in Columbus have the worst BO in history, but nothing like your experiences.

However, I have been to several concerts where either the band's actions or performance totally ruined my ability to enjoy their music.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/23/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Pyretta
Honestly, every time I get to a concert thinking it's going to be terrible (because of a band's fanbase or whatever) it ends up being nothing like I anticipated and I have an amazing time.

That happened to me at my first rammstein concert in vegas. I was very surprised to hear the crowd singing along in german. And not just to Du Hast, the more popular song that I despise.

Pity Arizona sucked crowd wise. There's a bit in a Rammstein show where the keyboardist goes out on a rubber boat. Crowd Sailing so to speak. That stupid boat didnt move a bit because the crowd didn't know what to do.

I was very ashamed of my state seeing that. I hate being stuck in seats because people are jerks in the front row. Eh maybe next time if they come here again I'll just ask a friend of mine to come with me. Big guy so he could just stand behind me. Hm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/23/2013 12:08 PMPosted by Rosenivy
That stupid boat didnt move a bit because the crowd didn't know what to do.

Was Flakey in the boat?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/23/2013 02:12 PMPosted by Killercaitie
Was Flakey in the boat?

Yup. He was trying to tell people to move but that boat wasn't moving. Idiots.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I was dragged to Mayhem Fest a few years ago and it was awful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/23/2013 05:23 PMPosted by Rosenivy
Was Flakey in the boat?

Yup. He was trying to tell people to move but that boat wasn't moving. Idiots.

That's... how do you go to a Rammstein concert & not know to move the boat. but I thought he doesn't do the boat thing anymore because people kept knocking him out or something?

Also I've not been to a bad concert yet, because I've only been to one actual concert & it was amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Kool Keith was pretty terrible when I saw him in Philly. Basically a moody little snot, kept everyone waiting forever before he came out, then only did a couple songs before deciding the crowd wasn't into it enough for him and walked off.

Interestingly enough, the opener was The Black Eyed Peas (this was in 1998 or something, well before the Fergie days and their becoming the nadir of pop music). They were actually really entertaining.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
That's... how do you go to a Rammstein concert & not know to move the boat. but I thought he doesn't do the boat thing anymore because people kept knocking him out or something?

Olli did it for awhile but Flakes back on the boat ^^ At least at the Vegas show people actually put their hands up in the air to Ich Will before Till could tell them so in english. Good times.

01/24/2013 06:31 AMPosted by Taltonestri
Kool Keith was pretty terrible when I saw him in Philly. Basically a moody little snot, kept everyone waiting forever before he came out, then only did a couple songs before deciding the crowd wasn't into it enough for him and walked off.

Yeah Social D kept us waiting for an extra 30 minutes after their opening gig ended.

Here I go boasting about Rammstein again but their concert started immediately after their opening act. Just BOOM lights off here we go type of deal. They are seriously pros at this and I'm not saying this because they're my favorite band of all time. ( maybe a little ) Then again they have to worry about everything working properly since they use a lot of tech. At least I found out Combichrist existed when they opened for them in Vegas. Their sound was set up way too high so you couldn't really understand them unless the singer was cursing. But when we got home we listened to some of their stuff and enjoyed the heck out of it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/24/2013 08:20 AMPosted by Rosenivy
Olli did it for awhile but Flakes back on the boat ^^ At least at the Vegas show people actually put their hands up in the air to Ich Will before Till could tell them so in english. Good times.

Oh good to hear he's back in it. /love Flakey

I'd love to go to one of their concerts but they'd never come here, too small a place. :[
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Oh good to hear he's back in it. /love Flakey

I'd love to go to one of their concerts but they'd never come here, too small a place. :[

They're going on a break after some music festivals this year in europe. So we'll see once they come back.

*bounces* This means Richards working on his next CD *squee*

Jeez imagining a sha going into fan girl mode is weird. And this reminded me I need to get my Rammstein and Emigrate tattoos redone.
Edited by Rosenivy on 1/24/2013 8:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
01/23/2013 09:07 AMPosted by Rosenivy
A couple years ago my mom and I went to go see Social Distortion. ( If any arizonians read this it was at the Marquee Theater )

My first thought was did you see Max working security? lol. Inside joke. Sorry.

The closest thing to a bad experience I have had is being dropped while head walking, and a couple of mini-riot sized fights breaking out (Dystopia and Nomeansno).

I saw Face-to-face play at the Silver Dollar Club when they only had a couple of EPs out, they played their entire set 3 or 4 times as D.I. got lost en route.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Both times that I saw Jefferson Whatevership, I walked out. Of course, this was well after their prime, but still ..... seriously, if you don't have it & can't bring it, you ought to stay home.

This is especially true if both opening bands rock the house.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
A Skinny Puppy concert at House of Blues Dallas a few years ago. I guess the venue wouldn't let them do their usual (very graphic) stage show and whoever handled the sound SUCKED. There was a blown speaker which was horribly distracting and the highs were way too loud.
Reply Quote
87 Human Rogue
Dragonforce with Falconier
Both crappy Power Metalbands in general
-Dragonforce sucks live
- Falconier hasn't had a good album since 1999
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I got drug to Mayhem one year and it was god !@#$ing awful. Sound quality was bad, the artists themselves sounded bad and off, and being surrounded by douchebags all day isn't my cup of tea.

@Rosenivy

It's odd how the fanbase differs and can really take away from a show. I went to Rammstein w/ Combichrist at MSG and the fans just seemed totally out of it, despite both acts %^-*in rocking. It really made the show less enjoyable since the bands after awhile stopped playin to the crowd as much since most were just standin around. But when I saw them in Berlin, it was a !@#$in madhouse and awesome with roughly the same sets so it's not like the bands were just off that night.
Edited by Bullettime on 1/25/2013 12:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/25/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Bullettime
It's odd how the fanbase differs and can really take away from a show. I went to Rammstein w/ Combichrist at MSG and the fans just seemed totally out of it, despite both acts %^-*in rocking. It really made the show less enjoyable since the bands after awhile stopped playin to the crowd as much since most were just standin around. But when I saw them in Berlin, it was a !@#$in madhouse and awesome with roughly the same sets so it's not like the bands were just off that night.

Ugh. Just bugs me that people use concerts as an excuse to go drink or get high. I hope a few of them passed out from the heat.

Vegas was still my favorite show. I know Rammstein can't react too much ( I mean cmon there have a huge freaking gap between the stage and front row for that foam cannon ) But they had a bunch of energy. The only downside to Vegas was everybody and their mother had a cellphone up in the air. I HATE THAT.

I like to think they had some fun. Paul and Richard kept moving around to each side of the stage. Till saw some kids in the audience off to the side and grinned for a second while he was on the left side of the stage. XD He also humped a gas station thing for Benzin. So he was either having fun or was just bored and wanting to spice things up. I have no idea but that was hilarious. You could still hear the audience singing some parts for non Du Hast songs. Not as loud as say their mexican fanbase ( Props to them ) but it was a lot louder then I thought.

Arizona the band was awesome the crowd sucked. Simple. Still makes me wish I could've been in the front row. I hate being small
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Well you'd think if you paid that much money (one of the more expensive shows I've been to) to see them in !@#$ing Madison Square Garden that you would be a bit more alive., especially when they really don't do east coast shows except an occasional in Florida.

It irked the piss out of me. There wasn't even a mosh pit to Feuer Frei!!!!!!!!!! In Berlin, the whole damn floor was.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]