THQ sliced and diced

91 Dwarf Rogue
As most everyone but a few expected, THQ is no more.

Relic goes to Sega
Volition goes to Koch Media
Homefront (Homefront?) goes to Crytek
Evolve goes to Take 2
THQ Montreal and South Park: The Stick of Truth goes to Ubisoft
Darksiders dev Vigil Games to be shuttered

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/01/thq-split-up-and-sold-in-five-parts-through-bankruptcy-auction/
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
No Darksiders 3? /cry
Reply Quote
As long as Metro Last Light gets done. That's all I care about.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Relic, Volition inc. and Metro are all I care about and they seem safe atm.
Reply Quote
Sega
To purchase Relic (developer of Warhammer 40K and Company of Heroes 2) for $26.6 million. (Interestingly, Bethesda Softworks owner Zenimax media came just short of winning this portion with a $26.3 million bid.)

A Bethesda owned Relic would have been an interesting combination. But I'm glad to see its safe.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
It's a shame to see them fall apart. However, I will say that thank god that those games will not be acquired by EA and Activision.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
01/23/2013 11:09 PMPosted by Swordblade
It's a shame to see them fall apart. However, I will say that thank god that those games will not be acquired by EA and Activision.

You might not like EA but Origin has come a long way and many of their current games are very good. I have yet to have a bad experience. I understand that the games they churn out are not as "quality" as those developed by a company like Valve that won't release a game until it is absolutely ready. EA cares about the bottom line but with that comes a large amount of wealth to invest and a lot of their games benefit from them throwing money at the tech. Though, many THQ games are carried by their stories and their feel rather than their eye candy graphics so it's probably a good thing that EA didn't pick up a franchise this time.

Oh, and Blizzard and Activision are one company now.
Edited by Vaerwind on 1/23/2013 11:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid

No, they are not.

Vivendi Games and Activision are one company now.

Blizzard is it's own studio underneath the publisher.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
http://www.activisionblizzard.com/
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I guess people need it spelled out, because they still don't get it. Activision Blizzard is NOT Blizzard. It is a holding company/publisher, that used to be called Vivendi Games. Vivendi bought Activision and merged them into Vivendi Games, to give them more publishing power in the US. Vivendi is a large company in France, but very few people outside of France have heard of them or recognize the name. So they decided to rename Vivendi Games to Activision Blizzard, just to give them more name recognition.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Blizzard. The same people own Blizzard now that have since 1998 (Vivendi). Nothing has changed. The structure of Blizzard itself hasn't changed.
Reply Quote
91 Dwarf Rogue
Wonder how much the THQ leftovers and remnants will sell for?
Reply Quote
91 Dwarf Rogue
I guess people need it spelled out, because they still don't get it. Activision Blizzard is NOT Blizzard. It is a holding company/publisher, that used to be called Vivendi Games. Vivendi bought Activision and merged them into Vivendi Games, to give them more publishing power in the US. Vivendi is a large company in France, but very few people outside of France have heard of them or recognize the name. So they decided to rename Vivendi Games to Activision Blizzard, just to give them more name recognition.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Blizzard. The same people own Blizzard now that have since 1998 (Vivendi). Nothing has changed. The structure of Blizzard itself hasn't changed.

Almost right, at least more right than the previous poster. It depends if you are looking at the merger from a legal point of view or from an accounting point of view.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
01/24/2013 06:47 AMPosted by Notagin
Almost right, at least more right than the previous poster. It depends if you are looking at the merger from a legal point of view or from an accounting point of view.

About the only time Blizzard interacts directly with Activision is when they're compiling their quarterly reports. Activision does not influence Blizzard at all.

If Activision controlled Blizzard in anyway, Heart of the Swarm would have come out 6-12 months after SC2, SC2 would be getting 3-5 expansions instead of only 2, Diablo 3 would ahve been out 3 years ago, and Diablo 4 would already be out.

Oh, and every raiding tier would be its own expansion. Activision loves their product oversaturation (see the year 6 different Guitar Hero spinoffs came out).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
No Darksiders 3? /cry

Actually, there may yet be hope for Darksiders. Platinum Games, the creators of Bayonetta, Mad World, and plenty other great games, are expressing interest in buying both the rights to Darksiders and Vigil itself.

And before anyone accuses me of anything, here's my source.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/24/bayonetta-developers-would-love-to-buy-the-darksiders-franchise/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
After that embarrassment that was Saints Row 3 I say they deserved it
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
One must wonder where the WWE license is going to go now that THQ, who owned it prior, is now kaput.

Hopefully not EA, or LORD will people who like WWE games be in for a nasty surprise...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
01/24/2013 08:44 AMPosted by Rosenivy
After that embarrassment that was Saints Row 3 I say they deserved it

It may not've been like the previous games, but that doesn't make it bad. I had a load of fun with it while it lasted.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
One must wonder where the WWE license is going to go now that THQ, who owned it prior, is now kaput.

Hopefully not EA, or LORD will people who like WWE games be in for a nasty surprise...

The WWE games are pending with 2K right now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/24/2013 12:52 AMPosted by Ferlion

No, they are not.

Vivendi Games and Activision are one company now.

Blizzard is it's own studio underneath the publisher.

Blizzard is a division of the corporation named Activision-Blizzard. Mike Morhaime is an officer of this larger corporation.

The incorrect notion that Blizzard is a separate company probably arose from the details of the agreement that merged Blizzard into Activision (and renamed the resulting corporation Activision-Blizzard). As part of that merger, the corporate bylaws were amended to include limitations on what the CEO of Activision-Blizzard could do to the Blizzard division without prior written approval of the board of directors.

Legally, however, there is just one corporate entity. If execs in Blizzard borrow money, the entire corporation is on the hook for it. If they commit some crime, ditto. All the earnings are aggregated, and all the dividends and such go to a single set of shareholders. It is not possible for anyone to own stock just in Blizzard.
Edited by Osmeric on 1/24/2013 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Uhhg.

No, it's not.

Activision-Blizzard is a publishing house, not a studio.

Morhaime is a bigshot in the company, yes, but it's not linked to Blizzard as much as it is to him.

Blizzard isn't even the only studio that Activision-Blizzard publishes games for (which is a bit of an interesting subject I'll touch on in a second). A-B is what we call a holding company. It's got outstanding ownership of stocks of several different studios, but those studios retain seperate business practices (normally). It's like Bethesda and Zenimax Studios. It's the same relationship.

Acti-Blizzard is completely seperate from Activision and Blizzard both. Instead, it uses the name it does because of branding and marketing potential.

They are a bit odd though in that they don't actually publish under the name of Activision Blizzard, but instead publish under the name of the Studios (sometimes)

So Activision still publishes as Acti instead of activision.
Blizzard still publishes under Blizzard.

But Activision and Blizzard themselves are completely seperate from Activision-Blizzard.

Combining the two together STILL isn't Activision Blizzard.

Inside AB are several other different game studios including

Raven Software
Beenox
Demonware
Freestyle Games
Neversoft
Radical entertainment

and a few others.

Blizzard doesn't matter. Take Blizzard out of the picture for a second.

Vivendi Games was a fairly healthy gaming publisher a few years back. They owned Blizzard, the rights to all those Barbie playstation games, and a few others off the top of my head.

Activision merged with Vivendi Games. Not with Blizzard. Blizzard was just a part of the Vivendi Games merger.

Blizzard was only ever a bit piece that is used in teh name of AB for marketing.

Activision and Blizzard are not the same company. They do not share a corporation. They are not linked in any way other than sharing the same parent company.

This is both legally and financially speaking.

Despite the name of Activision-Blizzard, Blizzard and Activision both still exist as independant entities. They are not a conglameration. They are not two companies smashed together.

Activision Blizzard was not a merge between Blizzard and Activision. At all. Ever.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]