THQ sliced and diced

99 Human Paladin
Despite the name of Activision-Blizzard, Blizzard and Activision both still exist as independant entities. They are not a conglameration. They are not two companies smashed together.

Activision Blizzard was not a merge between Blizzard and Activision. At all. Ever.

You are wrong. There is a single corporation, called Activision-Blizzard. Blizzard is a division of it. You can go and look at the corporate legal paperwork at the Activision-Blizzard web site.

There is no separate stock in "Blizzard". The stockholders of Activision-Blizzard own shares that give them ownership in the entire things, including the Blizzard division. Blizzard's financials are reported right alongside the rest of Activision-Blizzard at the quarterly corporate earnings call, because they are all parts of that single legal entity, the Activision-Blizzard corporation.

I challenge you: show me, somewhere, the articles of incorporation for this mythical Blizzard corporation you think exists.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
If the question is which entity merged with what entity, this is the definitive source:

20. Business Combination Agreement with Vivendi

On December 2, 2007, we and Vivendi S.A. ("Vivendi") (Euronext Paris: VIV) announced the signing of a definitive agreement to combine Vivendi Games, Inc. ("Vivendi Games,") Vivendi's interactive entertainment business—which includes Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., the creator of World of Warcraft, a massively multi-player online role-playing game franchise—with us. If the transaction closes, we will be renamed Activision Blizzard, Inc. ("Activision Blizzard"), and we expect to continue to operate as a public company traded on NASDAQ under the ticker ATVI. While we will be the legal acquirer and the surviving entity in this transaction, Vivendi Games will be deemed to be the accounting acquirer in the transaction treated as a reverse acquisition for accounting purposes. As such, our historical financial statements after the close of the merger will be those of Vivendi Games. As Activision will be the deemed accounting acquiree, we are charging to expenses all costs related to the merger as incurred.

http://edgar.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/718877/000104746908007085/a2185924z10-k.htm

As for how Blizzard is managed within A-B, wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of agreement that treated Blizzard more like an independent studio. Vivendi did technically buy the majority ownership of A-B in the merger.
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
If the question is which entity merged with what entity, this is the definitive source:

As for how Blizzard is managed within A-B, wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of agreement that treated Blizzard more like an independent studio. Vivendi did technically buy the majority ownership of A-B in the merger.

Nothing that you quoted there indicates Blizzard (or Vivendi Games, which Blizzard had become part of) survives as a separate corporate entity.

The merger took Vivendi Games and folded it into Activision. The corporation that was Activision was then renamed Activision-Blizzard. Vivendi owns about 60% of the shares in this publicly traded company.

The agreement you hint at, btw, is there for all to see: the Blizzard division of ATVI is afforded protection from arbitrary decisions by the ATVI CEO in the ATVI corporate bylaws. This does not mean Blizzard is not a division of ATVI.
Edited by Osmeric on 1/24/2013 3:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
It may not've been like the previous games, but that doesn't make it bad. I had a load of fun with it while it lasted.

They killed off Johnny Gat in under five minutes off camera. No. I'm mad still. And my only option at the end is to be a sell out or a terrorist. Lovely. Only to later have options for crappy DLC. I'm not showing mercy on them for that one.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
Oh dang it. Hopefully Company of Heroes 2 still gets launched next month.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
What I wonder is what Patrick Desilets will do. For those who don't know, he's the father of the Assassin's Creed series, but for his next big project he left Ubisoft Montréal to go to THQ's Montréal studio because apparently Ubisoft didn't give him the freedom of creation he wanted (they probably have their marketing dept. dictate everything like EA...) but now Ubisoft has purchased THQ Montréal, so...
Edited by Méo on 1/24/2013 4:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
One must wonder where the WWE license is going to go now that THQ, who owned it prior, is now kaput.

Hopefully not EA, or LORD will people who like WWE games be in for a nasty surprise...

2k Sports. Their NBA2k games pretty much pushed EA out of the NBA market. NBA2k has A LOT of in depth features so here's to hoping they do a awesome job with WWE. Then again, it can't be much worse than the past 5 years or so of WWE games.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
01/24/2013 03:24 PMPosted by Rosenivy
They killed off Johnny Gat in under five minutes off camera. No. I'm mad still. And my only option at the end is to be a sell out or a terrorist. Lovely.

I don't get the fondness people have for Johnny Gat. There's no depth of character to him he's just a nigh superhuman killing machine that wears sun glasses.

Being a sellout or framed for terrorism would both be a step up for the mass murdering psychopathic gang leader/warlord that is the player-character in the Saints Row series. SR is a good series but the protagonist has no redeeming qualities beyond loyalty to the murderous gang bangers he/she comes to employ
Edited by Corrock on 1/25/2013 8:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
It's a shame about Darksiders development team. That's actually a series, and studio, worth keeping around.
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Warrior
01/25/2013 08:33 AMPosted by Lysiana
It's a shame about Darksiders development team. That's actually a series, and studio, worth keeping around.

I'm hoping Platinum Games can buy them.

Imagine.
http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/darksiders_2_zelda_skyward_sword_tribute.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Being a sellout or framed for terrorism would both be a step up for the mass murdering psychopathic gang leader/warlord that is the player-character in the Saints Row series. SR is a good series but the protagonist has no redeeming qualities beyond loyalty to the murderous gang bangers he/she comes to employ

If you kill Killbain you threaten over the news that you own the whole city now. After destroying that special task force.

I know it seems silly to enjoy the story in a Saints Row game but 2 is just where it ends for me. That game boasted so much over its character creation and I couldn't even remake my character from the last 2 games. That broke the heck out of my enjoyment having to hide my character mostly in hoodies because all the hair choices looked stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/24/2013 06:53 AMPosted by Thequay
Activision does not influence Blizzard at all.

That's a bold claim. That's like saying Bobby Kotick isn't toxic to Blizzard's future worth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Just in case anyone reading this thread doesn't know yet:

Vivendi has actually been trying to sell its shares in ATVI (Activision Blizzard) for quite some time now. I don't remember the company names anymore but Vivendi even offered its share to some big names, and I believe Microsoft was among them. No takers.

Edit: Microsoft and Time Warner Cable were among the companies Vivendi was looking to sell its shares to. Other names came up as well as time went on. This has been going on since at least first quarter of 2012.
Edited by Kunou on 1/27/2013 12:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
EA is awful. Obnoxious advertisement (BF3's "Above and beyond the Call", anyone) day 1 DLC, repackaging the same sports franchises each year, tons of shovelware, Origin, etc.

Honestly my only issue with Activision is the ungodly amount of franchise milking they do.
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Warrior
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/28/3925710/crytek-forms-new-austin-studio-with-former-darksiders-developers

Crytek got some of the Darksiders development team. So that is that.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
01/24/2013 12:52 AMPosted by Ferlion
Oh, and Blizzard and Activision are one company now.

No, they are not.

Vivendi Games and Activision are one company now.

Blizzard is it's own studio underneath the publisher.

Activision and Blizzard Entertainment are partner companies - Activision just focuses on publishing while Blizzard maintains development exclusivity.

The company is named Activision Blizzard as a result of this partnership.

Activision Blizzard is owned by Vivendi Games.
Edited by Huatar on 1/28/2013 6:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/24/2013 08:41 AMPosted by Shaozu
No Darksiders 3? /cry

Actually, there may yet be hope for Darksiders. Platinum Games, the creators of Bayonetta, Mad World, and plenty other great games, are expressing interest in buying both the rights to Darksiders and Vigil itself.

And before anyone accuses me of anything, here's my source.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/24/bayonetta-developers-would-love-to-buy-the-darksiders-franchise/

Doesn't Platinum have people from Clover Studios who made the greatest game ever made Okami?

I swear if Capcom and Sega team up to make an Okami/Darksiders crossover I will give them all of my money
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
It appears Crytek hired a majority of the Vigil developers, but it doesn't sound like they're going to be making a Darksiders 3 anytime soon, if at all. Still, it's better than them just dissapearing.
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
01/28/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Huatar

Vivendi owns 60% of Activision-Blizzard. This is enough to give them a controlling interest, but they do not own the entire thing.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
01/28/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Huatar

No, they are not.

Vivendi Games and Activision are one company now.

Blizzard is it's own studio underneath the publisher.

Activision and Blizzard Entertainment are partner companies - Activision just focuses on publishing while Blizzard maintains development exclusivity.

The company is named Activision Blizzard as a result of this partnership.

No.. No people.

Activision Blizzard are not partner companies.

It's a holding company. Activision still exists under Activision blizzard. As does Blizzard. And several other studios.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]