Why ret?

90 Draenei Paladin
Why pick a ret pally over other melee classes like Warriors, Dks, Ferals and why?
I mean, sure we can burst, but what is it compared to a Warrior or frost dks burst?
Sure we can Stun and blind, but compare that to a feral or a warriors cc
We have survivabilty, but what about a warriors Defensive stance and second wind.

Ive noticed lately that in mop, there's really nothing a ret pally can do other classes cant - So why play a ret pally, what keeps you guys playing this class over other classes?

PS: Dispellable bubble..... meh
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
...'Cause HoPing Hunters is hilarious?
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Paladin
Because some of us are happy with our class for the most part even with its flaws. My question is why do the people who seem to hate on ret continue to play it instead of playing one of the "grass is greener" classes they all whine about.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
because i really dislike the taste of plankton?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
@OP because I like being a two handed sword weilding bringer of justice and light in a world of darkness and despair.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Indeed. I think we can all agree I am the most delicious creature here. Squidface up there doesn't have a chance!

lols

but no seriously ret is fun no idea why i just like it there again i also played an ele sham as my main at the start of mop so maybe i just like torture
Edited by Alariç on 1/23/2013 5:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Mostly the mogs to be quite frank. Off healing is nice too, not that it's needed. It's just nice to have.

The selfless healer nerf is probably going to hit us hard in 5.2.

Once in a blue moon 150k crits on people in 2s is the only reason people like having a ret.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I enjoy the class and play paladins in most games (that have them) even if we were buff machines again id still play a paladin just cause i love the class.

im not sure why other paladins still play ret but i also see it as a mind set ... you either have the mindset that sees all it's pros or the mind set to see the cons (if you play for what the class can do and not because you want to play the class)

people who see pro's might see it like me as.

we are a support dps that can hand of Protection our caster allies and give then reprieve from melee or allow our melee allies the chance not to be kited by giving them hand of freedom.
once we get the return of our offheals strength (not sure how good there going to be but will be better than they are now) we will be able to offer even better heal support.
spec right and gear efficiently and you can keep a bit of pressure on your target without cooldowns and when you use your cooldowns you can hit like a truck.

people who see the con's will see things like.

lack of survival against cc trains. (every class gets ripped by cc's)
weak heals (might change come 5.2)
"INQ IS BAD" lol (i see it as a skill level marker)
im sure theres more but they seem to be common

i would agree with one thing ... make divine protection (the 40% magic/ 20% all damage when glyphed) usable when stunned and make dev aura a flat damage reduction instead of just magic (i think its just magic)

and to go off topic... lobster is great when cooked right. mmm so tasty lol

p.s. my grammar and spelling suck sorry if it hurts your head
Edited by Fallenangell on 1/23/2013 5:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Because I find it fun.

Also, because gold is a pretty color.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Most of the herioc content requires multiple raid buffs to go out, IE Aura mastery. Also boping and saccing is important in a lot of encounters. Not to mention Hand of Purity as well. It's not optimal to bring more than 2 rets though, maybe even just 1.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Mostly the mogs to be quite frank. Off healing is nice too, not that it's needed. It's just nice to have.

The selfless healer nerf is probably going to hit us hard in 5.2.

Once in a blue moon 150k crits on people in 2s is the only reason people like having a ret.

SH is getting nerfed? Pretty sure it was a buff for ret.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I play my ret paladin because he's sexy!

Also I like plate dps classes I mained a warrior in bc and most of wrath, rolled a dk at the end of wrath - cata, and mained my ret in patch 4.2 if I remember right.

Out of the three plate dps classes paladin just gives me what I want. I like to wpvp and skills like hand of salvation, bubble, bop, blinding light, righteous furry, and nice off heals are incredibly useful for that environment, and every time I jump back on my dk or warrior I find myself reaching for my ret abilitys only to remember that I'm a dps spec and thus have dps buttons with some peels... Also getting rooted drives me insane without emancipate or freedom lol

On a side note
@Invincible
I was under the impression that the 40% nerf to selfless healer was only put in place to balance our 50% buff to flash of light by default, not to mention hybrid heals now benefiting from half of our pvp power.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/23/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Arte
SH is getting nerfed? Pretty sure it was a buff for ret.

It is a buff. Invincible just ignores anything involving buffs so he can complain about nerfs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well according to the newest stuff from MMO-Champ, they're nerfing the effectiveness per stack from selfless healer from 35% to 20%. Doubt the overall healing will be nerfed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/23/2013 06:25 PMPosted by Aglaea
Well according to the newest stuff from MMO-Champ, they're nerfing the effectiveness per stack from selfless healer from 35% to 20%. Doubt the overall healing will be nerfed.

They reduced it because they buffed Sword of Light from +30% increase to Flash of Light to +100%. Selfless Healer won't improve it as much, but the base heal will be much larger.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Because everything you acomplish as ret requires more skill than any other of the melee does, IE, achieving 2200 as ret in RBGs or Arenas means that you're far more skilled than any 2200 warrior/hunter etc.

Ret has to work harder to achieve things, but at the end you will be a better player by doing so, is like playing handicapped.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Because I like shiny things.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They reduced it because they buffed Sword of Light from +30% increase to Flash of Light to +100%. Selfless Healer won't improve it as much, but the base heal will be much larger.

Can't believe I neglected to put that (typing this while at work lol). That's what I meant when I said our overall healing shouldn't be lowered.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It won't just be not lowered - the Sword of Light change more than cancels out the Selfless Healer change ("160% of 200%" is more than "205% of 130%"). SH FoLs will be significantly *stronger* than they are now, for both self-healing and ally healing. And then the PvP power change will be gravy on top of that. Or in other words: it's not just a not-nerf, it's a significant buff under all conditions.
Edited by Ravicana on 1/23/2013 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]