Tank horror stories

24 Draenei Paladin
Ok for this I have 2 dungeon runs tied for the worst run. One in the old Ragefire Chasm and one for Dire Maul.

Well the Ragefire was on a Paladin I had and was leveling. Had a gnome healer and I started pulling troggs and clearing out an area before the big Trogg boss. Well as I was holding three I noticed I was getting pretty low on health. I started healing and after the battle I warned my healer next time warn me when he was low on mana (being sure not to be rude to him). Well we cleared out the area and killed the boss and healer said "mana" which told me he was low. Thats the word I tell them to say so I know when they are low. We set off again and all was going good but I started to notice after 1 or 2 pulls the healer was saying he was low on mana and he was. We reach the giant demon in the center and I pull him. The demon had reached about half when the healer say "mana." To say the least I wasn't very happy with the healer after that fight. Of course everyone left after that so I just exited and I honestly can say I was happy to be out of there (I love tanking dungeons).

Now Dire Maul was really bad too. We had a shaman (healer), a mage, a druid (boomkin), and I forget the fifth member. Now the issue I had started out with the mage. He said that he had run the dungeon before and I was happy he had because it was my first time in there (I was on my old Night Elf Warrior). Well as we started to clear out the first area I see a giant corrupted ancient or something. I went to kill it but the mage said lets go and kill something else first. We ran into another and cleared everything there. The mage then made a comment about me holding aggro. I told him that he didn't give me time to get aggro before he started to cast aoes like crazy. We just kept going and this is when things got heated. We dropped down and started fighting the ancient. I had no clue we had to clear out all the ancient around the area otherwise they'll drop down and join the boss. We wiped. Mage first, then the healer, me, and the other two died last. Well the mage was complaining that if I did my job that we would of lived. I said he died first and he said "Well thats because I was doing your job for you." Well then the healer says "Its easier to heal if the tank holds threat," clearly taking a shot at me. I simply told her there was to many ancients to live through. I mean we did kill some but there was to many to live in the end. The boomkin also tells me its my fault and soon its only me and mage in the instance. And my jerk side comes to the front and is in the drive seat. He runs to the ancient read to pull and I leave the group as he does.

I must say I handled the healer issue pretty well (not yelling at him) but when everyone gangs up on me I kinda lose it and I get pretty aggresive. I guess I shouldn't of let my anger get the better of me. I should of just left quietly and not been a jerk in the end because otherwise I just look like the bad guy in the end. Of course later I learned that you have to clear out the top area before pulling the ancient and fighting it. So clearly I don't think the mage knew Dire Maul as well as he thought he did or maybe he had a leader who did and he just didn't care to learn the mechanics because he wasn't leading the group. I don't but either case I went back and wiped again on the same boss but the third group worked great and I finally cleared all of Dire Maul (after wipe after wipe on the ogres). So any other tanks have horror stories. I posted on this forum section because I wanted to hear from just tanks. Not some damage or healer saying how bad their tank was. I get that sometimes when people don't like what I have to say.
Reply Quote
44 Night Elf Druid
01/20/2013 04:02 AMPosted by Kaeies
I started healing and after the battle I warned my healer next time warn me when he was low on mana (being sure not to be rude to him). Well we cleared out the area and killed the boss and healer said "mana" which told me he was low. Thats the word I tell them to say so I know when they are low. We set off again and all was going good but I started to notice after 1 or 2 pulls the healer was saying he was low on mana and he was. We reach the giant demon in the center and I pull him. The demon had reached about half when the healer say "mana." To say the least I wasn't very happy with the healer after that fight. Of course everyone left after that so I just exited and I honestly can say I was happy to be out of there (I love tanking dungeons).

Is it really hard for you to take about 0.5 sec and see if your healer has enough mana before big pulls or boss pulls?
A tip here : if your healer's mana is more than 75%, you're good to go.

Do you really need them to actually type it for you? (which obviously takes more than 0.5 sec)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Tank horror essay

FTFY
Reply Quote
51 Night Elf Druid
good lord that was a lot of text. your healer problem wasn't really a problem... you can see everyone's mana and health in your group window. The second instance boils down to you not having heirloom gear, which completely spoils everyone else. As for your aggro problem, best you can do is throw down thunderclap any time it's up, even on single target (has no rage cost with prot spec), and try to pick up the adds that get pulled. All DPS in my experience will just target nearest mob and go balls to the wall on it, whether you are focused on it or not. The dungeons themselves are pretty easy, but the problem I run into is people expecting that everyone else has played the game as long as they have so know everything about everything.

Basically, if these 2 little issues bug you, you will not get very far as a tank, cuz it's only gonna get worse. Oh.. and watch out for hunters...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/20/2013 04:27 AMPosted by Junnie
A tip here : if your healer's mana is more than 75%, you're good to go.

I have had it quite a few times when the information shown on the raid frames about the healer's mana was inaccurate.

It would show as full when he was oom.
It would show as nearly oom when he was full.

Things like that make me insist that the healer actually tells me one way or another what his state regarding mana actually is because I simply cannot trust the information the WoW client provides.
Reply Quote
24 Draenei Paladin
The healer was running out so dang fast. He would be at full then down quickly. Thats not normal. As far as Dire Maul, if we had wiped out all the ancients on the upper level we would of done fine. Also just like less than 5 minutes ago I had people screaming at me that the wipe was my fault. How? Because I didnt' know someone lit all 4 braizers. I lit 2 not 4. Normally I'm cool, calm, and collected but some things just...I don't know. I guess its just everyone has a break point.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You're going to have a hard time tanking at 90.
Reply Quote
1 Pandaren Warrior
Once, in BC, I had to heal instead of tank.

It was horrifying.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Once, in BC, I had to heal instead of tank.

It was horrifying.

lololol

Your healing is pretty horrifying.

I mean, you healing is pretty horrifying.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Trogg boss in RFC? Healer going OOM? Did I go back in time?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Not really a horror story but running Shado-pan last night with a couple friends and 2 pugs we're at the first boss where the dragon comes out and I've got an eye on recount and it's one of my friends and I almost all by ourselves in 1st and 2nd. I do respectable damage but a competent dps should usually beat me. I rotate the camera and see the 2 dps pugs going to town on the lightning guy never noticing that they were doing no damage and never stacking for the magnetic healing effect. We have a good laugh in vent and proceed to carry the pugs through the rest of the dungeon.
Reply Quote
Ok here is an oldie for you.
Back in Vanilla I was a Night Elf, doing my usual sunday night MC run for competent blue geared people trying to get them some epics. My friend a gnome warrior and I were probably the most geared out of the place (7/8 Tier 2 with some AQ 20 stuff for me, 8/8 tier 2 for him)
we were doing Garr having a pally tank hold the boss while we broke up the adds 2 to a tank.
Holding them fine until I notice the PuG off healers not being able to keep their tanks up and them falling off one by one. My friend yells in vent "YO, Munki, I got this!" and AoE taunts and tab sunders all of the adds. I blow all my trinkets and have a priest PI me and we boss the adds like crazy. he dies on one bad explosion of an add and the MT drops because his healer is OOM, so i yell at a backup druid to try to grab the boss. Turned into a DPS / avoid getting smashed by the boss until only me and a warlock are left standing. was a very entertaining evening.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Back in Vanilla I was a Night Elf, doing my usual sunday night MC run for competent blue .... DPS / avoid getting smashed by the boss until only me and a warlock are left standing. was a very entertaining evening.

I'm impressed you remember back that far.
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight
Back in Vanilla I was a Night Elf, doing my usual sunday night MC run for competent blue .... DPS / avoid getting smashed by the boss until only me and a warlock are left standing. was a very entertaining evening.

I'm impressed you remember back that far.

Those weird memories have a way of sticking out.

My first dungeon ever was on my tauren shaman doing RFC in Vanilla. We had 4 shaman and 1 priest. Yes, it was shaman tanked.

Please don't hurt me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/20/2013 08:06 PMPosted by Kahzregi
Those weird memories have a way of sticking out.

I have one of those.

First time doing the Heigan dance in Naxx10. I'm on my DK, spec'd as a Frost tank. The other (Paladin) tank was actually tanking him, so I was pretty much expendable dps. It being Heigan, 7/10 raid members were dead by the time he was down to 30% health, leaving just me, the Paladin tank, and a Paladin healer.

Most of the raid either wandered off, or sat back and watched, since this was going to take awhile.

We eventually got him down to a bit over 30k and he teleported away. I looked at his health, looked at mine (about the same amount), and figured I might as well be ballsy. I blew a bunch of cooldowns, walked into his poison aura, and tried to burst him down before he killed me. Hey, if I failed, at least there were those other two Paladins, right?

As I run up to the boss, I hear over vent "Nerf, what are you doing? Nerf? Nerf!"

Of course, I died before Heigan. That poison nova hurt. But hey, at least there were those Paladins....

...who, when I turned my camera to check on them, were turning their characters to watch me.

I had a fantastic view of them as they died to the ground lava.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Zen
I have another horror story.

I was in a guild group for Heroic Scarlet Halls. I was not tanking as I was playing my arms warrior. So we get in to the instance and the tank was a blood DK. I only heard two words from this tank and that was 'brb' and 'k'. We get to the Blademaster and the tank pulls him up to the top of the stairs and tanks him there. We wiped 3 times to this strategy because everyone, except me, stayed up there. I believe we wiped about 9 times before I got fed up and quit.

The DK was in fully upgraded LFR gear and couldn't figure out a heroic instance boss. That's just not right.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Tank horror story? Trying to stay 2nd in threat in BC...couldn't become 1st in threat because of crushing blows...but trying to not out-threat a warrior was like telling me to not tank...made it real interesting.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Every time I enter a dungeon on any toon that isn't spec'd as a tank IS my tank horror story.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I have another horror story.

I was in a guild group for Heroic Scarlet Halls. I was not tanking as I was playing my arms warrior. So we get in to the instance and the tank was a blood DK. I only heard two words from this tank and that was 'brb' and 'k'. We get to the Blademaster and the tank pulls him up to the top of the stairs and tanks him there. We wiped 3 times to this strategy because everyone, except me, stayed up there. I believe we wiped about 9 times before I got fed up and quit.

The DK was in fully upgraded LFR gear and couldn't figure out a heroic instance boss. That's just not right.

I always tank him there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]