Just can't seem to do any healing.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello,

To make a long story short, this character was bumped to 80 by a SoR and I'm somewhat new to the game (I last played during BC). I'm trying to switch him from Tank spec to Healer spec, and I've read all the guides I can, taken the current stat priority into account:

Spirit > Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Crit

But I cannot heal. At all. When I try to heal in a dungeon or in PvP, I can barely make a dent in anyone's HP and of course I end up running out of mana left and right and everybody dies because I'm furiously smashing everything and wondering why my heals are doing so little actual healing. (I'm healing people with 300k+ HP and my heals do.. 22k.)

I'm trying to run Heroic MoP dungeons with people so that I can get some actual gear, because all Healer plate in the auction house on my server is 10x as expensive as all the plate for everyone else (and no one was surprised...) and due to my being bumped up to 80, I have very little gold to spend on gear, which I have a feeling is my issue here. Questions as follows:

1. Is Intellect the spec that will make my heals do more actual healing? Is it something else? I thought I had a good amount of Int.
2. Is there another good way to get healing gear, since I'm kind of SOL on the Auction House and even moreso in Heroic dungeons?
3. Any advice for Holy Paladin healing?

I keep hearing that holy paladins are great for healing but this has been my most exhausting and inefficient healer to date. :(

Thank you everyone.

(Sorry this got long.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Haven't played my holy paladin past her current level (she's 85, and even then only pvping on her) so can't comment much on your talent choices.

What spells are you using in both pvp and pve to heal with?

Really the only way to get gear is through dungeons, AH, or buying it with valor point or honor points (for your pvp set). And then LFR once you have the required ilvl.

Even though you were bumped to 80 making gold is fairly easy :3 You can certainly make a decent amount just by leveling your profressions (not even to mention questing from 80-90).
Edited by Veroicone on 1/21/2013 6:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been trying to use Holy Shock and Word of Glory the most, for my main heals!

(I have been thinking I will probably try to do a lot more quests with him while in Tank spec so that I can try to harvest much more gold for myself and hopefully some rep for perhaps gear with different Pandaria factions..)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/21/2013 05:58 PMPosted by Cadfæl
1. Is Intellect the spec that will make my heals do more actual healing? Is it something else? I thought I had a good amount of Int.

Intellect is stat that increases your spell power, thus increasing your heals (and absorbs by default of mastery.) Spirit is now your only stat for mana regen (intellect no longer factors into regen.) You are essentially correct with your assessment on stat priorities (more mastery should aid in extending your mana pool.)

2. Is there another good way to get healing gear, since I'm kind of SOL on the Auction House and even moreso in Heroic dungeons?

Another good way to get healing gear is to start doing dailies; it will probably take you 4-6 weeks to get revered with the majority of factions that you can start out on immediately. Doing dailies also gives you Valor Points with which to get gear from rep vendors. Furthermore, if you're doing four to five hubs a day you should be making somewhere around 400-500 gold. I only do two hubs a day (Tillers and Dominance Offensive) because I'm a nursing student, and I really don't have time for much other than pouring over notes and crying myself to sleep at night.

When you start Dominance Offensive dailies, assuming you have the Justice Points, you can get a decent blue trinket right off the bat --Dominator's Mending Badge. As you can see, it gives you intellect and its on-use gives you spirit for 15 seconds -- on a one minute cool down. Pretty groovy deal. With the roughly 400-500 extra gold a day (also, you can make a decent amount selling the cooking materials you farm at Halfhill), you should be able to supplement your gear (particularly your neck and shield) from the Auction House. Another option instead of the shield would be to find a scribe who can craft you Inscribed Red Fan.

As for heroic dungeons or avoiding them, I would say to do them rather than to avoid them. If you're wary of a random queue, some of the heroics are actually fairly easy and you could direct queue for them. In my opinion, the following are fairly easy introductory heroics (number of items good for you in parentheses): Gate of the Setting Sun (5), Scarlet Monastery (2), Stormstout Brewery (6), and Temple of the Jade Serpent (2). Aside from these heroics, I would suggest finding a group for Sha of Anger in Kun-Lai Summit. For your first kill, he drops a quest item that gives you a choice of 476 item level boots.

3. Any advice for Holy Paladin healing?

I would modify your spec a little bit. Since you'll be doing 5 man heroics at first, I would keep Sacred Shield. However, I would take Clemency instead of Unbreakable Spirit, and I would take Holy Avenger over Divine Purpose. These should extend your mana a little farther until you have better in combat regen.

However, to answer as for advice, I'd need to know how you're healing right now.
Reply Quote
I have been trying to use Holy Shock and Word of Glory the most, for my main heals!

(I have been thinking I will probably try to do a lot more quests with him while in Tank spec so that I can try to harvest much more gold for myself and hopefully some rep for perhaps gear with different Pandaria factions..)

Gotta use a lot more heals than that.

I don't know a whole ton about Holy Paladins (mine is only level 72), but Holy Light is your main efficient heal and you should be casting that a lot. Use Beacon of Light on the tank and when you heal anyone else, the tank gets healed too, it's a very strong tool that you should get great use out of.

Holy Shock's healing is ok, but it's used more for generating Holy Power. Don't cast Word of Glory unless you have 3 HP or else it heals for very little. When there's AoE damage going out, use your Holy Power on Light of Dawn, and cast Holy Radiance for AoE if you guys are grouped up close enough. Use Flash of Light in an emergency and Divine Light if a single player needs big heals but isn't in danger of dying very quickly. Don't hesitate to use your cooldowns either. Also, you should be in Seal of Insight most of the time.

Looking at your gear, your intellect is VERY low. My Druid is still level 85 in 377 gear and has only a little less intellect than you. Get rid of the str gear even if you have to replace the pieces with lower ilvl gear, and replace the rings too. Spirit is important for mana, but a ring with just spirit and stamina isn't going to help you. There's no way you can heal heroics in gear that like. Do the normal dungeons first until you're comfortable with healing, they're a lot easier and you'll get some upgrades too. If you need int gear, there's a vendor outside of the Gate of the Setting Sun that sells greens. They're low ilvl, but they're better than using gear that doesn't benefit you at all.

An actual Holy Paladin could tell you more stuff, but you just need to practice more in easier content and get rid of all the strength gear you're using. Try the Paladin forums, the stickies there should give you more info on how to heal with a Paladin. Good luck.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/21/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Cadfæl

This answered my question before I got finished with my reply to your original post. When you start out healing on a holy paladin, the easiest thing to do would be to Beacon of Light the tank and heal minor damage on the group with Holy Light. 100% of Holy Light transfers across Beacon.

Since you have Holy Prism, use that when much of the group has taken a fair bit of damage. 15% of Holy Prism will transfer through Beacon. Keep Sacred Shield up on the tank at all times; also use Seal of Insight for the 10% haste. This 10% haste will make for an additional tick of Sacred Shield.

With your gear, use Holy Radiance sparingly. Your go-to AE heal at your level of gear should be Light of Dawn after gaining 2-3 holy power. For light damage on the group, 1 holy power should be sufficient. A 3 holy power Word of Glory should be good for a fast tank heal if needed; just find efficient ways to produce holy power.

As a note, another option for getting gear is to grind out honor. If you can get the honor for a helm, you will then at least have the option of a meta gem which should increase your throughput and mana regen. The meta gem you will be using is Revitalizing Primal Diamond. AV holidays are usually your best way to quickly farm honor; check your in game calendar to know what PVP holiday it is.
Edited by Nasonia on 1/21/2013 7:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you so much, everyone!

All of this information is incredibly helpful and I really appreciate it. Having come back to the game after so long a time (and not having actually ever had a character at the level cap before), it was hard to parse a lot of what the online guides were saying since they assume a lot of knowledge from me that I don't have yet.

I had wondered what was going on with my stats and gear and definitely needed a more educated eye to check over it. I'm probably going to go look at those greens that Flintte mentioned right now and get started on those dailies too. (Taking all my DK's hard earned gold and sending it to this guy, aw yeah).

This was really awesome advice and easier to understand than anything I've tried to tackle before so thank you all again!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If you do the Arena of Annihilation scenario and do the quest you can pick up a nice 450 healing mace (http://www.wowhead.com/item=90461). You can also pick up a crafted shield from a friendly blacksmith that will help out (http://www.wowhead.com/item=82968). The mats for the sheild are relatively inexpensive so shouldn't cost you a bomb.

Nasonia is on the money about what spells to use. But to emphasise: Do not forget your cooldowns. These can be so helpful when you are struggling. Hand of Sac the tank to mitigate damage (only do this when you have full health), Hand of Prot a dps that's taking damage and who you can't afford to heal yet. Hand of Salv a dps that's pulled aggro. Also use Guardian, Divine Favor and Avenging Wrath. Don't save them, try to use them every boss fight. Finally Lay on Hands, if glyphed not only saves your tank but gives you back mana.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh, if you have the time available to you, never underestimate using Crusader Strike to gain some holy power.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
I didn't read everything but when I started healing heroics on this shaman that just hit 90 her biggest heal was about 25k to people that have 500k+ lps that's not much
I mean if your reading guides and doing things correctly its just your gear
Heroics will start tough but slowly get easier as you get more gear just have to grind out the bad
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Remember, a good paladin is good with their hands ;)

Also, we aren't very strong without cool downs, so remember to keep popping those.

Holy shock isn't your main heal. Its your holy power generating heal. I don't know much about pve, but in pvp I cast the snot out of divine light. I think pve pallies use holy light as well, but in pvp I cant stand there long enough to cast that without being locked out.

I also glyph beacon of light and macro it to divine light and flash of light so I generate holy power with every single target heal I do.

I love eternal flame. I try to keep it up on everyone to keep up the illuminated healing buff.

Get friendly with gird or your healing addon of choice too. That way you know who to cleanse. I found that reorganizing my keybinds and using mouse over healing really changed the game for me. I have every ability bound, but I never move my fingers further than the 5 key.

Pallies really take time to learn. I've played a bunch of other classes, but since we are such a utility class, it takes a lot more than just learning when to time cool downs and what buttons to push.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
From what I see you have a LOT of PVP gear, the contender gear, which can seriously diminish you're effectiveness in PVE. I haven't ran a Heroic MoP IN my PVP gear, but I'm sure it's the same as back in Cata. You're nearly half as effective in a PVE scenario with PVP gear on.

Main reason: PVP gear has less of your main stat (intellect for example) in favor of other survivability stats (i.e. pvp resilience/pvp power and stamina). Also, unless you reforge into spirit your gear currently is going to be hell for mana regen, and thus make you heal less overall. So main thing, you do need better gear, but other people have commented on how you can get some, so I won't add.

In dungeons I normally just throw out holy shock and holy light as needed. In times of big damage use Divine Light on the tank or whoever needs it. Make SURE the tank is beaconed (also if you can manage don't be afraid to switch you're beacon around). Holy prism is an awesome spell, whether it's for straight up healing or AoE healing. I tend to use it more on enemies so it does the AoE heal than straight up using it on someone. Think about it: (from you're tooltip: Radiate 11,000 healing to nearby enemies when used on an enemy. That's 55,000 healing total, every 20 seconds is 165,000 healing roughly. Versus using it on a friend and only getting 16,000 healing every 20 seconds.)

Beacon switching: Say the tank is fine for now, but two of your DPS are around half health. Quickly throw beacon onto one DPS and heal the other. Much more effective than keeping beacon on tank and wasting the extra heals on him when he doesn't currently need it. Normally this doesn't happen and you won't beacon switch in Heroics. Just make sure you put the beacon back on the tank afterwards.

Don't be afraid to use you're other spells either. If some mage is getting hit by something taunt it off if the tank won't or use hand of protection on them, we're in plate! Heck, if you have the right spec talents you can normally kite the enemy and not even get hit if someone needs the enemy off them.

HAND OF SACRIFICE. I can't stress this spell enough. You take 30% of the damage being done to the tank (if you cast it on the tank) up to 100% of your own health. It may not seem like it, but that really adds up and can take the stress off of healing the tank when he takes a lot of damage. Don't worry about yourself, normally you'll be fine, and besides the best method for using hand of sacrifice is to bubble, therefore you don't ANY damage. (assuming you won't need your bubble later of course.

Cleanse cleanse clease. But other than that my basic "rotation" is holy shock and word of glory/eternal flame as much as possible, but when holy shock and WoG/EF don't cut it I cast out Holy Light as needed, if that won't do the job Divine Light will. If that's not working then I need to pop my wings and get to work, or use hand of sacrifice to ease the burden.

And yes, don't be afraid to melee for mana. I don't entirely support crusader strike anymore as a means to get HP because it costs so much (like 7,600 mana?). Also, never crusader strike to get mana from melee, it actually expends more mana than you'll get back. Don't do it unless you absolutely need the extra HP.
Edited by Aleaina on 1/22/2013 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]