Shadow Priest Nerfs and Easy Fixes

90 Blood Elf Priest
So here's me, just reading along the patch notes for 5.2, hoping to see warriors get hit in the face with the nerf bat. Suddenly, I see the Devouring Plague nerf. Not too long after, the Halo nerf.

Well, I find it irrational to start a flaming post yelling 'DONT DO THAT', but I find that offering alternatives is usually a more reasonable route to go.

Easy fix for Devouring Plague - Make the new changes a glyph! As numerous posts have shown, the overall damage of devouring plague will be going up since it benefits from mastery. However, that is a strictly PvE benefit. With a one-click dispel, healers will likely take the 3-second horrify from VT as opposed to letting their partner get hit with a priest's main burst spell.

A glyph would make both sides happy; PvE and PvP. PvE would still benefit from the increased single target damage, and PvP would still benefit from the burst, but slightly less damage.

As for Halo, I agree, a nerf was needed. I can't tell you how many rogues/druids I've gotten out of stealth via me using halo (on accident, may I add). However, I think there is a middle ground to be sought here. Make Halo only take rogues/druids out of stealth within an x yard range. I think that's reasonable. Priests really have no other way to defend themselves when a rogue is close, except for mind sear which requires you to be close to another teammate/enemy.

TL;DR Make the devouring plague doing its damage evenly through its duration a glyph and make Halo only unstealth rogues/druids within an x yard range.
Edited by Bìblical on 1/23/2013 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The nerf to DP burst was deliberate in that Blizzard has said they want to nerf Shadow in PvP, plus I think that if Blizzard were to return DP to it's burst state it would be a glyph to make it go back rather than the way you want it, because that's the kind of thing they do.

I think they should bring back Holy Nova and put it on the Dark Binding glyph exception list as a replacement to the loss of the stealth break utility - sure it's not as big a radius as Halo but it can still be used when you see a rogue or feral go stealth and want to flush them out.
Edited by Taheraliel on 1/22/2013 1:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
making the DP change a glyph is a terrible idea - we already have 2 or more required glyphs per encounter, and shadow's burst in PVP is way too high. having a slightly lowered dps exchanged for utility (more frontloaded dmg, in this case) could be a valid glyph (sort of like unleashed lightning for shaman), but the other way around would just become a 'prime' glyph.

Make Halo only take rogues/druids out of stealth within a 30 yard range? that's still such an enormous range that stealth would still be largely useless.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Make Halo only take rogues/druids out of stealth within a 30 yard range.

Halo does not hit past 28 yards.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I would like to see devouring plague last a lot longer based on the new change to mind flay.... just saying that the change is stupid with 6 second duration. It should be 12 seconds at least.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
01/22/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Woaden

I dont think dose that anymore, Take classes out of stealth
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
So here's me, just reading along the patch notes for 5.2, hoping to see warriors get hit in the face with the nerf bat. Suddenly, I see the Devouring Plague nerf. Not too long after, the Halo nerf.

Well, I find it irrational to start a flaming post yelling 'DONT DO THAT', but I find that offering alternatives is usually a more reasonable route to go.

Easy fix for Devouring Plague - Make the new changes a glyph! As numerous posts have shown, the overall damage of devouring plague will be going up since it benefits from mastery. However, that is a strictly PvE benefit. With a one-click dispel, healers will likely take the 3-second horrify from VT as opposed to letting their partner get hit with a priest's main burst spell.

A glyph would make both sides happy; PvE and PvP. PvE would still benefit from the increased single target damage, and PvP would still benefit from the burst, but slightly less damage.

As for Halo, I agree, a nerf was needed. I can't tell you how many rogues/druids I've gotten out of stealth via me using halo (on accident, may I add). However, I think there is a middle ground to be sought here. Make Halo only take rogues/druids out of stealth within a 30 yard range. I think that's reasonable. Priests really have no other way to defend themselves when a rogue is close, except for mind sear which requires you to be close to another teammate/enemy.

TL;DR Make the devouring plague doing its damage evenly through its duration a glyph and make Halo only unstealth rogues/druids within a 30 yard range.

Like the glyph idea. But that's too much common sense for blizzard. What started out as a patch to nerf warriors and frost mages has turned into a patch to nerf spriests. Figures.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Sooooo, quick questions then, if the damage for devouring place is spread out evenly throughout its duration. Will devouring plague still be dispellable, ( I know it can be removed by some classes), and if so, will the duration of devouring plague tick for less time to compensate, and lastly, if the damage is spread out for the duration, that should increase then the healing portion of devouring plague right?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Well. I just read the tooltip for devouring plague, and the healing is based on the shadow orbs used and is not proportional to the periodic damage dealt, but if the length of the tick was lowered to 5 secs or even 4 secs, that should balance things out, any thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/22/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Woaden

Sorry, I didn't do my research before posting. What I should have put was "Halo takes them out of stealth within x amount of yards, I didn't have a specific number in mind. I was just throwing something out there.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
taking away phantasm's target drop is just going too far... Spriest burst is not too high.. my god i walk in my roommates room and see his frost DK go 11-0 in WSG in 2-3 minutes hitting people consistently for over 100k. Spriest have no mobility... how do they expect you to do dmg with a warrior,dk,hunter,rogue(patch) on you. Show me how you cast Mindblast and VT and how it makes little to no impact when a melee class is hitting you for 50k a swipe while being interupted. We don't heal as good as these other classes do.. for example Warrior,Lock,DK,Druid self healing, Monk absorb its out of control..My flash heal without MS crits for 70k, heals for 30-40k, renew ticks for 7k.. this is outside of arena without MS.. and when do you get a chance to blow all your mana and spam flash heal.. when the other team is cc'ed and your behind a pillar...???? VE is crap on too long of a cooldown.. The dots don't tick for nearly enough to pose a threat against other classes.. mainly Hunter,Warrior,Mage,DK....... Dispersion locked out for spriest now whenever shadow is locked.. Mindspike gets you locked out of shadow if your using it. FIX THE PRIEST CLASS ITS NOT HARD.... they seriously cant be playing a priest and playing the other classes.. they cant.

all in all... Devouring plague and shadow word pain should both exert DMG on contact.. VT needs to be harsher to dispel such as 25% passive shadow dot dmg increase for x sec's.. Phantasms target drop was the only way I could compete with certain classes like MAGE... Mindblast is on too long of a cool down.......... why does it cost shadow orbs to use devouring plague and our weak disarm when the only way we can get shadow orbs is via an attack we can only use (SWD) when their below 25%hp or mindblast on a 8 sec cd...

and no one can dispute this.. I dare anyone to log on a well geared spriest... go against well geared competent players of the classes Warrior, Frost DK, Hunter, Lock, Mage, Feral, Rogue come patch and see how that goes for you.. see how difficult it is for you to apply dmg while they rip through you and when you try and heal it fails.. Than see how hard it is to kill them through their DMG,CC and self healing... rediculous.... Its like blizzard cant figure out how to boil the water even though they have fire.
Edited by Blaqpoet on 2/2/2013 9:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
If you are s spriest, you're only complaint should be the dispersion nerf.
That is all.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Issue is, they are basing spriest pvp nerfs on the synergy the class has with highly skilled players in certain arena comps (probably rbg comps too). Shadow is not a popular spec amongst casuals (vs Hunter/Warrior/Monk/DK), so while the game becomes more and more tailored to casual clickers, these classes will stay faceroll-masher friendly, even getting buffs where they are clearly unwarranted; to keep those subscribers playing and paying.

I'm guessing a dmg class with DoT protection (that extends to firemage/locks/boomkins) who can offensively dispel, offheal, silence, disarm, fear, root (undispellable), break block/bubble, lifeswap, disperse, lifegrip, vanish, freedom themselves, and really burst hard; is fairly difficult to counter in the right hands, with the right partners.

Maybe we r a joke 1v1 against some melee, but the game isn't balanced around 1v1, or 2v2. Put us with a solid healer and someone that can peel and spriest is scary as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
to understand what Blizz is doing to DP im going to say i think its a better idea the DoT to DP isnt all that great and if they change it to were it actually scales with SP the DoT should tick at least Dbl to what it is now, if you have to spend 3 Sh Orbs the DoT has to be more affective then VP and SW:P, imho im curious to see how much the change to an actual SP Scale will change it. as for the Duration i agree that it should be raised to at least 12 secs but Blizz has there own plans.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
02/14/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Prospectus
to understand what Blizz is doing to DP im going to say i think its a better idea the DoT to DP isnt all that great and if they change it to were it actually scales with SP the DoT should tick at least Dbl to what it is now, if you have to spend 3 Sh Orbs the DoT has to be more affective then VP and SW:P, imho im curious to see how much the change to an actual SP Scale will change it. as for the Duration i agree that it should be raised to at least 12 secs but Blizz has there own plans.

Dp change was reverted abt 2wks ago. Its back to frontload dmg.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/14/2013 10:08 AMPosted by Foxnews

Dp change was reverted abt 2wks ago. Its back to frontload dmg.

It was interesting, they gave us back our frontloaded DP and buffed Mind blast damage. Was rather confusing to see.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Not really, fdcl is fairly useless now with glyph only effecting non-proc spikes.

Yin/Yang. Id rather have the spikes back.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
Im not sure they khow what to do with Devouring Plague. It was a fun spell in LichKing. They should just do this. And stop messing around. Just take away the up front damage of Devouring Plague. And make it were it has notthing to do with shadow orbs. Just make it a fulltime dot like shadow word:pain. I just dont understand these guys. Are they playing the class or they going by hear say? I realy dont think spriest are overpower.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Ghostcrawler is out of touch with SP with is unreasonable nerf to phantasm
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I think they totally gave up on Shadow priests. We are going to be at the bottam of the dps and damage meters again in pve because they cant figure out how to buff us without making us too powerful in pvp. Every time someone posts something about priest changes in the ptr forums they get deleted. I dont think they want to deal with it anymore.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]