Need Assistance/Help

90 Draenei Paladin
The issue i am having is that after the change and 1 button macro's out of the window... i am having to stare at my action bar to click on the skills manually... which in turn leads to me missing what the enemy is doing... and i get murdered by skills easy to avoid as i never see them coming... What am getting at is what play style or method should i adopt in order to not need to constantly stare at my action bar, so i can look past my nose as they say... Any help would be wonderful..
Edited by Andryana on 1/22/2013 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Use keybinds instead of clicking your spells. You should never have to stare at your bars. Get an addon that tracks ability cooldowns near your normal field of view (if you need one). Clicking significantly lowers your responsiveness in any aspect of the game. It seems like you haven't played since WotLK - Ret has changed significantly, and though it's hardly difficult, you do have to pay attention to a few more things than you did back then.

If you're not accustomed to using keybinds, I'd suggest starting out slow and binding 1-5 and some common "game keybinds" like F, R, Q, E, T, G or something along those lines. Do you use the arrow keys or WASD to move around? I grew up on FPS games so my keybinds are closer to FPS-style than anything else. Using Shift, Alt, or Ctrl as modifiers expands how many spells you can bind. Once you get used to it, you can keybind all of your spells and never have to glance down at your bars again.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
In addition to the above, you may want to check out the CLCret and needtoknow addons.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
My movement is WASD as i seem to have gotten used to the for movement... and yes i have not played from WotLK.. so my learning curb is a little steep... What would you recommend in the add on field for paladin for click assistance? And am not unhappy with the change, just looking for a good way to get passed this hurdle so i can stop lagging behind in my groups..
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Best recommendation is to stop clicking, start keybinding - as Veidt mentioned above. Ret's much too frenetic these days to be able to truly succeed while clicking. If you were relying on a one-button rotation macro back in Wrath, you should probably reroll now. Not intending to slight you, just my honest opinion.

That said, Lughnassdh's recommendation of CLCRet is probably going to be a significant boon for you, and I'll add Bartender to the addon list so that you can move your action bar to be directly under CLC's HUD, as that's the only thing I can think of to assist a clicker.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Grognard you are not that far off, and no offense taken about "i might want to re-roll".. Thing is I did re-roll after reactivating my account and my alt is <10levels under my Ret, and i am having the same issue with it as with my Paladin... The thing is am just not used to key binds, and it just seems a little strange that there is no alternative except:
1: click and suck
2: learn to key bind
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
What did you roll? And what are you mainly looking for in a toon that contributes most to your enjoyment of the game? Perhaps I - or others - could suggest a better class/spec that may be easier for a clicker that's not going to leave you feeling like you're holding your group back.

EDIT: Just occurs to me that you're getting into Cata content, and Cata 5-mans were intentionally designed to be brutal, unforgiving affairs. Maybe bite the bullet, grind to 85, and see what happens in Pandaria?
Edited by Grôgnárd on 1/22/2013 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/22/2013 08:57 AMPosted by Grôgnárd
Maybe bite the bullet, grind to 85, and see what happens in Pandaria?

I rolled a panda monk DPS (i know band wagon). Like you said I'll first get to 85, so I have time and I'll try to pick up key binding and adjust to it... other wise the sequence for the skills is not really that bad, so I'll need to work on the execution of said sequence.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you want to get away from staring at your action bar you will need retrain your muscle memory...
- do away with wasd movement and general keyboard movement, it is too slow. If you pvp, you will be dead. you need to use the mouse to move, it truly is liberating.
- now that you freed up your movement hand, this is where you need to find a new "home" position, something comfortable in the sides of the keyboard, so you can be close to the shift/alt/ctrl keys. If you are using the mouse with your right hand, then most likely your left hand will be placed on the right hand side so your thumb is hovering over the ctrl and shift. If it's is the opposite, then it will be the left hand side.
- bind those keys of your home position to your action bar. yes, you will most likely need to rebind those keys that were previously used for other functions. When you assign your spells to the action bar, I personally choose the abilities that I use most often on my pointer and middle fingers.
- now comes the hard part, practice. Use the mouse to move and use your hand on your keyboard to cast abilities, and force your hand to remember those abilities. Yes, it will feel like kissing your cousin for a bit, and you will mostly die in circumstances you ordinarily wouldn't. Don't give up, realistically it will take you 5-10 hours of playtime to get comfortable.
- finally addons like clcret or weakauras can help you move the "need-to-know" information in your field of view, instead of on your action bar.

Good luck!
Edited by Turand on 1/22/2013 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Ouch. Yeah, Monk's a lot like a Pally - lot to manage and watch, if you're not used to handling that sort of thing. Not going to be a good option, I think, even though their class daily (and a full set of heirlooms, plus guild perks) makes them insanely easy to level. Mine's 85 (also Pandaren, but less for bandwagon, more for nomenclature) and I enjoy the crap out of it, but all I really watch on him is the Chi bar.

Off-hand, I think we have about eight abilities to which we need fairly consistent access, and anything beyond six linear keybinds (read: number bar) usually gets a bit unwieldy. I've managed to condense a lot of wasted bar space down into modifier macros to compensate. As you work towards 85, I can give you a few handy macros that might help, if you'd like.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Ouch. Yeah, Monk's a lot like a Pally - lot to manage and watch, if you're not used to handling that sort of thing. Not going to be a good option, I think, even though their class daily (and a full set of heirlooms, plus guild perks) makes them insanely easy to level. Mine's 85 (also Pandaren, but less for bandwagon, more for nomenclature) and I enjoy the crap out of it, but all I really watch on him is the Chi bar.

Off-hand, I think we have about eight abilities to which we need fairly consistent access, and anything beyond six linear keybinds (read: number bar) usually gets a bit unwieldy. I've managed to condense a lot of wasted bar space down into modifier macros to compensate. As you work towards 85, I can give you a few handy macros that might help, if you'd like.

By all means please share, am at work so i can't test right away but i'll give them a go for the money as soon as I get home (and make diner)... If i can macro join even a few of the skills that would solve a big chunk of what's keeping me from moving from dirt snorkeling to DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Basically, just press any modifier (shift, alt, ctrl) and it swaps from one to the other so long as you hold down a mod key. As set up, they will automatically display the single-target spells (CS/TV), and change to AoE on mod-hold (HotR/DS).

- CS/HotR:
#showtooltip
/cast [mod] Hammer of the Righteous; Crusader Strike

- TV/DS:
#showtooltip
/cast [mod] Divine Storm; Templar's Verdict

This brings the minimum necessary rotational keybinds to six (including Inquisition), but you'll still need an extra button for Wings, another for Guardian (at 85), and for your L90 talents (I have a macro for that, too, but it won't be relevant to you for awhile yet).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Just wondering would any of the "/castsequence reset=n/[condition] [skill1], [skill2], ...." still be viable or are they gone for good?!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Workable, but not viable; if the macro hits something on CD, it will no longer attempt the next item in sequence. So it sticks at that one skill until it's off CD, potentially leaving other, harder-hitting skills to sit unused and delays Holy Power generation.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Is it possibly to macro so the game keeps running the macro even if [skill 1] is not active, like go through the list and activate what's not on a CD.

EDIT:
Never mind answer is no... no way exists as of right now for a spam macro... i'll start working my key binds when i get home...
Edited by Andryana on 1/22/2013 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]