Tier 15-Massive ilvl Discrepancy

(Locked)

100 Human Warrior
fury warriors hitting 100% crit

it might happen
:D
This inflation could get messy if they follow it into next tier.
90 Night Elf Druid
Maybe? I'd say blizzard has really failed if this is the case though, I'll leave it up to guys smarter then me to do the math and figure it out.

What do you mean "really failed"? It's like normal by now. Half the tier sets are such that the new bonus is good enough that, say 384 tier will be better than old 391 tier (where have we seen this before), while the other half is such that even 397 4-pc isn't worth it, or only worth it once you have all 4 pc's of the exact 4 slots (also tooootally new, *cough* Resto Druids).

The former being more true than the latter, especially going up tiers.
Edited by Slashlove on 1/23/2013 5:13 PM PST
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I was hoping that a nerfed T14 would fill the role of an easier normal mode for casuals/pugs next patch. This would work best if they made T15 LFR drop loot slightly worse than T14 normal modes. Say ilevel 493. By setting T15 LFR to 502 though that will kill off most of the interest of pugs and the like for doing T14 normals. They have shot themselves in the foot here and made T14 obsolete even for very casual raiders too soon.
Edited by Murdina on 1/23/2013 5:20 PM PST
90 Orc Warlock
You aren't going to get geared up through LFR that quickly. Normal T14 will still supplement your gear to get into normal T15 while you are slowly getting LFR T15 gear. It's not like they want you to have to raid T14 after nerfs for months and months before being able to do T15. Eventually the LFR gear will supplement your T14 normal gear just like the gear from nerfed T14 will supplement your current gear.
100 Dwarf Death Knight
You aren't going to get geared up through LFR that quickly.

Psychology though. People will think "why should I slog through T14 normals for crap loot when I might get lucky in LFR this week or the next". Its not rational, because the drop rate in T15 LFR will be low, but this is how a lot of people will think and it will largely kill off interest in T14 normals.

With T14 they released a huge number of bosses tuned quite high on normal, with no nerfs while it was current, and it looks like this tier will only be current for about six months. So relatively few people got to complete the tier on normal. It looked like they might be going back to a BC model, in which T14 normals might be current until T16 was released. But instead we're back at Wrath/Cata model with each new tier completely obsoleting the previous. This is a pity because then few people will get to see all of T14 on normal.
Edited by Murdina on 1/23/2013 8:21 PM PST
100 Gnome Mage
01/23/2013 03:39 PMPosted by Zikx
It's probably to prevent BiS gear from heroic T14 existing.

From dev interviews this seems to be why.
90 Orc Warlock
01/23/2013 05:27 PMPosted by Murdina
Psychology though. People will think "why should I slog through T14 normals for crap loot when I might get lucky in LFR this week or the next". Its not rational, because the drop rate in T15 LFR will be low, but this is how a lot of people will think and it will largely kill off interest in T14 normals.
If people want to wait for their gear then they can wait. If they understand how the loot actually works they will do T14 normals along with LFR before they're read for T15 normals. People are going to complain no matter what the system is. People will complain that T14 got nerfed too early, got nerfed too late or too little, that LFR T15 doesn't drop enough loot, that T15 is too hard and they should be able to progress with normal T14s and blue etc etc.

You will never make everyone happy, and people will complain no matter what. But the fact is that LFR will supplement your T14 progression to push you into T15. If people don't want to believe that, or refuse to follow that path, then it will be a tough going for them.
100 Worgen Druid
This all just preparation for the inevitable ilvl squish. Anyone who even marginally understands how ilvl works knows it's needed, but to drive the point home, blizzard is going hog-wild with ilvl this expansion. They are going to INFLICT ilvl on us, intentionally letting it get out of control, and by the end everyone is going to be begging for the squish.
100 Human Paladin
01/23/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Murdina
I was hoping that a nerfed T14 would fill the role of an easier normal mode for casuals/pugs next patch.

Unless they put in huge nerfs, T15 LFR would always have ruined that idea.
90 Draenei Paladin
I don't mind LFR items being that high, so long as normal mode gear remains a nice leap upward as well (which it is). I think part of the intent was to help those that ran into difficulty in this latest tier be able to go back and clear it without instituting across the board nerfs. Just my 2 cents. :/
100 Dwarf Death Knight
There probably will be blanket nerfs for T14 when T15 is released. Blizzard's attitude has been that if you want a real challenge you should do the latest tier, and even with somewhat better gear an unnerfed T14 would still be quite challenging to learn.
100 Dwarf Death Knight
sadly, this ilevel just Firelanded Tier 14.
90 Goblin Hunter
Blizz is in a pretty tight balancing act unfortunately. There are 2 things you don't want: 1. You dont want BiS gear, especially tier, to be from old content. The hardest difficulty should have the best rewards. Not considerably overgeared content.

2. You don't want characters to get too powerful since it makes balancing things very hard. While the fixed mana pools will really help, healers are still going to keep getting more and more spirit making healer mana less and less a problem. Then you have things like getting too much haste or crit creating odd situations like warriors with over 100% crit, energy capping by those classes, etc.

Theoretically what I assume Blizz wishes they could do is just flat out reduce all ilvls by 20 or lower all scaling on all stats by a bit. Unfortunately that effects pvp making that next to impossible.

Where's the middle ground you want to be at end of xpac?
100 Human Paladin
aus
01/23/2013 08:37 PMPosted by Zikx
Blizz is in a pretty tight balancing act unfortunately. There are 2 things you don't want: 1. You dont want BiS gear, especially tier, to be from old content. The hardest difficulty should have the best rewards. Not considerably overgeared content.

Actually its mostly blizzard that don't want that. Don't mix up blizzard and players. Their is a certain comfort in knowing the item you brought 36 hours after dinging max level remained bis for the next 2 years(Holy Pally relic) Its one less decision to think about.
90 Tauren Druid
This stat inflation may just break the balance of tanking. Especially for bears. Before this was announced, theincbear.com did some theorycrafting on the new mastery increase and how it could effect the armor cap. (http://theincbear.com/stat-inflation-and-breaking-tank-balance for Reference)

Theoretically, with this change, Bears may be able to hit Armor cap (thats 100% physical dmg reduction through armor), or so close to armor cap that we are considered "broken" compared to other tanks. Forcing either a huge nerf to us, or a huge buff to all tanks mid-teirs. This kinda re-tooling is bad as historically its never really been gotten right.

Please note: With that post, it estimated 515 would drop from normals, with 528 being heroic t15... With heroic T15 being even higher then the estimated amount, T16 may be the teir where we see bears beginning to hit armor cap.

Sigh.
90 Worgen Mage
I really hope the current ilvl that these items are posted on the PTR are only for testing. Heroic T12 was an item level of 391 with a few 397 items while T13 LFR was 384-390. Sure there's the current item upgrades but this doesn't nearly close the gap between t14 and t15 due to the hard cap of 3000 valor (used to be 4k) and the weekly cap of 1k with the price of upgrading being 750.

If anything I was expecting LFR ToT to be around 490-495 max and definitely not 500+.
90 Worgen Mage
01/23/2013 09:54 PMPosted by Mate
You dont want BiS gear, especially tier, to be from old content

Blizzard failed to do this in T13 where the legendary staff was BiS (necessary because it IS a Legendary) and other tiems such as the 391 agil cloak and 391int necklace.
90 Goblin Hunter

Actually its mostly blizzard that don't want that. Don't mix up blizzard and players. Their is a certain comfort in knowing the item you brought 36 hours after dinging max level remained bis for the next 2 years(Holy Pally relic) Its one less decision to think about.

With you I actually was referring to Blizz designers. My bad for being unclear.
Edited by Zikx on 1/24/2013 10:29 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]