Disc Priests and Reforging (Help Please)

90 Night Elf Priest
So i have been having a really difficult time determining which stat would be best for healing in 10 man raids; i have been using Ask Mr. Robot, and on there, there is two different types of stats builds you can choose from.

"PvE: Default Build"
Spirit>Crit>Mastery>Haste

"PvE: Mastery Build"
Spirit>Mastery>Crit>Haste

I'm currently using the "Default Build" but I wasn't to sure if Reforging to mastery would be better. If anyone could please tell me which would be best for 10 man Raiding.
Edited by Mêrciful on 1/24/2013 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It depends on the fight (or more accurately, on what spells you cast). If you're doing a lot of spirit shell preshielding or the hard part of the fight is surviving big aoe burst, you'll want mastery until you're able to cap your spirit shell on both groups.

If it's a fight with a damage modifier (or some other reason to encourage you to do a lot of atonement healing) you will want... pretty much any stat other than mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I haven't been using Spirit shield enough it sounds like? I honestly think I'm still stuck in WotLK Healing, i use;
-Heal
-Greater Heal
-Penance
-Pw:S
-Renew

I haven't been doing to bad with the Crit Build, but at the same time, there is a holy pally who is always on me, because I'm 5 - 9 million Heals behind him, I know I don't have the greatest gear, i understand that, but what am i missing then? Just use Spirit Shield more? or Switch to Mastery?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
I'm going with the crit build but I NEVER cast heal or renew.

If you have crit, atonement is your friend. Use smite, holy fire, and penance offensively.

Gheal in emergencies really, but I hardly touch it myself.

And yes, use SS often. Even with a low mastery, it isn't terribly difficult to cap it quickly in a 10 group, so several people I know prefer haste and crit over mastery for that reason.

And archangel (which if you use atonement, you'll have available often) if you are not already.
Edited by Kerias on 1/24/2013 3:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you heal with a holy paladin you can essentially take all your single target spells and throw them out except in a few specific scenarios (tank burst).

Shield for rapture; avoid using shield outside of that except in emergencies
Keep PoM up (assuming it will bounce; don't use it if only the tank is taking damage)
Penance on cd
Holy Fire on cd
Spam the crap out of PoH (aoe damage) or smite (low damage phases or bosses with a huge damage modifier).
Use spirit shell with PoH before big aoe burst (such as on Grand Empress), or on cooldown during sustained aoe (Tsulong night phase).

That should be ~90-95% of your healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
How exactly do you get rapture to proc? i haven't ever seen it proc?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It doesn't pop up a message unless you have mana gains checked and combat text enabled; most people use a mod to track the internal cooldown, such as Ingela's Rapture (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/ingelasrapture) or something like Weak Auras or Power Auras.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
This is all from personal experience

I have viewed Spirit shell as already amazing on its own, so going into mastery seems like "ehhhhh. " I know spirit shell will always come threw, so I am looking to increase my heals while spirit shell is NOT up.

Haste was ok, I didn't feel that strong with it, just quicker. I have went with crit recently and it feels strong especially with atonement and AoE heals.

Also I do 10m raids and heal with a shaman for two heal and a paladin for 3 heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BUR
With the changes coming in 5.2 (Spirit Shell not being affected by mastery, PoH not granting Divine Aegis by default) won't crit (ahem) forge ahead of the other stats?

I am currently going all mastery, but I guess once 5.2 hits, I'll go

Spi -> Crit -> Mastery -> Haste
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]