Why Is This Tank Taking Massive Damage?

75 Gnome Priest
I'm in Maraudon last night and the Warrior tank was taking really intense damage even from trash pulls. Turns out he doesn't have a shield and a bunch of his armor has intellect.

I came back to WoW a few weeks ago and have been playing all the various healing classes up into the 30s and 40s. Dealing with tanks in random dungeons is like going to a really bad comedy club.

Everybody seems to be infected with the zoom zoom disease. Run fast, never look back, pull a ton of mobs and then scramble to recover from the chaos. Many low level tanks never once check to see where their group is.

I've had tanks start on bosses while I'm rezzing somebody who just died on a mega-trash pull. I've had tanks pull masses of mobs, get them mostly dead and then head off into the distance while the DPS struggles to finish with the pull.

Fast is one thing but stupid and blind is another. What ever happened to the days when a good tank was like a Shepard to the group and took pride in a clean run?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
+1
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Lots of people queue as a tank to get faster queues, tbh.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
The lower level dungeons are a pretty miserable experience in general. You'll find that the proportion of good to bad groups gets better past level 80. In lower level dungeons, you're going to find yourself dealing with tanks (and dps for that matter) that cannot hold aggro, that pull wildly, that have a poor attitude, and that wear gear totally unsuitable for their class.

I once saw a tank that told me that tanking with a fishing pole was a good idea because they thought it looked good.

Remember:
- It's perfectly normal for tanks in lower level dungeons to pull everything
- Expect players to have no idea how to properly gear their toons
- Dps sometimes pull for tanks
- Tanks frequently will LOS their healers or pull when the healer is low on mana
- You will find that although these dungeons are AOE fests, tanks are far from invincible and that they can die when poorly played

My advice is to get 1 toon up to the endgame and see how you like things. Until past 80, this is going to be the norm I fear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You'll see this so much while leveling. Leveling my Warrior tank I get a lot of comments to the effect of actually having someone who can tank and who pulls correctly, which still happens to her at 81. I don't pull slow mind you but I pull small groups in quick concession and and just keep that up through the dungeon to each boss. Even when I mained a tank in Cata I still got people who were twitchy because I wasn't pulling an entire room /facepalm.

There are tanks that do take pride in clean runs but sadly you won't see a lot of in LFD till max level. Even now I get tanks who feel that a big mess of pulls is A-Okay as long as I can keep us covered. No, no it's not and makes me want to beat them over the head with their own stupidity.

To be straight up honest I did lose it once on my Resto Shammy during Cata. I was healing a random for a satchel and got H SFK. Got a tank without a brain. Pulled the whole room and the second boss on top of us plus some guys from the kitchen just because. I went into survival mode. We made it and I sit t drink and the tank runs off. I tell him to park it because until I said what I wanted to say he wasn't getting healed (the rest of the DPS were by me and I was getting whispers of "How the hell did you heal through that" etc.).

I went off on him (something I really just don't do) telling him my ilevel (~400) and the smart hunter with his pet were the only reasons we didn't wipe. That he wasn't even in all tank gear and as a Pally that was bad and he needed to pay attention because he next healer probably wasn't going to be as geared as me. So to keep his squishie !@# alive he better learn to pull properly since I would be glad to keep the DPS up over him. He slowed down but I still don't think he got it at the end.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
the Warrior tank doesn't have a shield and a bunch of his armor has intellect.

There's your problem.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Remember:
- It's perfectly normal for tanks in lower level dungeons to pull everything
- Expect players to have no idea how to properly gear their toons
- Dps sometimes pull for tanks
- Tanks frequently will LOS their healers or pull when the healer is low on mana
- You will find that although these dungeons are AOE fests, tanks are far from invincible and that they can die when poorly played

all this. Or you get the DPS specs that que as a tank to get faster que times.
Edited by Shammyren on 1/25/2013 6:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If you have the heirloom gear, which I see you do, then you should be able to carry the group.

You cant go oom at low levels. The scaling is all bonkers, and every flash heal will heal for ~70% oh peoples hp.

I leveled this shaman through dungeon crawling, and I dps'd the entire time. Even lich king dungeons. Really only starting in Cata heroics did i start having mana problems when people did dumb !@#$ in every pull.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If you have the heirloom gear, which I see you do, then you should be able to carry the group.

You cant go oom at low levels. The scaling is all bonkers, and every flash heal will heal for ~70% oh peoples hp.

I leveled this shaman through dungeon crawling, and I dps'd the entire time. Even lich king dungeons. Really only starting in Cata heroics did i start having mana problems when people did dumb !@#$ in every pull.

It's actually rarely a question of going OOM, even in dungeon blues and greens. But at lower levels, it can be literally impossible to heal everyone fast enough to prevent a wipe.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Your going to encounter players who are new to the game,your going to encounter players who are dungeon trolling,your going to encounter players,that lack the experience to play the game.Some players I encounter think they are bad !@# and want to finish an Instance real fast the tend to mess up the most runs I do in an Instance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]