Auction house "camper" with a twist

90 Night Elf Rogue
I’ve played with AH bots in the past. Camping the AH just like them and under cut them as soon as they undercut me. But this is boring after a time. When I do it, I'm waiting for a raid or LFR/ LFG. In most cases, I’ll just out wait them and start selling again when I don’t see any of their items up for sell.

But one bot did cause me to stopped playing the AH at the end of Cata. He was on 12 hour days 7 days a week. I just could not sell anything. I gave up for a couple of months and waited for Mist to come out.

I did have the money to keep undercutting him. I just did not want to spend the time nor could I camp the AH for 12 hours each day.

About a month ago, I started playing the AH again. The gem market was stable and no bots. I was making money again then it happens. Then bot was back…

It was the same low level bot from the end of cata but with a different name. All these bots had one thing in common. They were all from the same guild. A guild with only a level 32 guild leader listed and no one else.

So, I open a ticket and reported the bot. 24 hours later, I got the normal reply from Bliz that they would look into it.

For the last week, I have not seen the bot. Maybe Bliz took action and locked the account…
Edited by Nighthand on 3/5/2013 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Maybe the other person is real and you're the bot.

-M. Night Shamlalablammoban
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight

This. A real bot would be online for 24hours at a time, not 12. Of course it always could be a bot, but more likely it was someone laid off of work, on summer break, or who just enjoys playing the AH.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I have 14 guild banks and many have toons with GM's under level 10. I would often play the AH for hours a day and made millions this way when 4.3 dropped. This does not make me a bot. Low level alts are frequently your AH poster because they don't draw the same kind of ire that posting on your main might. I wouldn't realid people in my guild before we server transfered because I didn't want them to associate my main and my posting alt because I ran the gem and enchant markets on my old server. It was pretty amusing when the truth came out.

While bots do exist in the AH, they aren't overly common. You have to watch patterns and look for repitition. Simply because someone likes playing the AH doesn't mean that they use a bot or are one. As Jozie said, bots are almost never offline. Real people can only go for so long without food, drink, shower and sleeping.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
You're right. AH camper would have been better word then bot.

In all other cases, I wait for the person to get bored and stop camping the AH. This one case with the toon being in the same guild and for the length of time he's been camping the AH, I had to wonder... is he a gold seller. This was the only time I reported a player for being a gold seller.

Yes, I can understand someone might be willing to do this just to see if they can. But my reported them most likely not be the reason for them no longer playing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
01/25/2013 11:04 AMPosted by Jozie
A real bot would be online for 24hours at a time, not 12.

A person running an AH bot is (usually) not stupid enough to keep it running 24 hours a day. Rather, they just keep it online and active in 8-12 hours shifts where the most profits are to be made so as not to arouse too much suspicion.

Legit AH players can pretty easily discern actual competition from bots, but TSM cuts this line dangerously thin.
Reply Quote
You're right. AH camper would have been better word then bot.

In all other cases, I wait for the person to get bored and stop camping the AH. This one case with the toon being in the same guild and for the length of time he's been camping the AH, I had to wonder... is he a gold seller. This was the only time I reported a player for being a gold seller.

Yes, I can understand someone might be willing to do this just to see if they can. But my reported them most likely not be the reason for them no longer playing.

That's far from a fair thought. A person who camps the AH is rarely a gold seller. Many campers (myself among them) use a bank guild for simplicity in storage. The gold sellers, from what I can tell, are more likely to dupe/bot/otherwise exploit to get their gold. Its quicker and since they're breaking the rules anyway might as well, ya know? While, yes, I *could* sell gold I make on the AH, if I really wanted to make enough gold to make that risk worth my while I'd be much less honest about how I go about it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I guess I'm lucky, I've never encountered this on my server.

It seems to have a pretty good economy, with average prices.

There are quite a few niches which are unexplored, where players on the server don't sell certain items; Like I always see the same players selling stuff, who are obviously not bots, with zero competition.

I've occasionally put up stuff and had someone undercut me, but hardly ever. When I have, its obvious that its no one on at the time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Gold is how we Goblins keep score. If we sold it, we'd lose the game. Spending it on fancy mounts doesn't count. You have something to show for it.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Rogue
I too would farm ore, Prospec and sell gems due the boring dailies.. I Found this bot who sells Stacks and Stacks of gems without even going offline. He's in the Same guild, and make a new toon every 2 weeks. I opened up a ticket and I finally got a decent reply from a decent GM but still nothing has happend to BOTH bots I've reported.

-
This is Game Master Valescii and I hope this message find you well! <3 I want to thank you for letting us know about this issue regarding a couple characters possibly using bots to access the auction house. First let me start by sending my personal deepest thanks for taking the time to report this issue to us. Players like you help us to ensure we're protecting the game and it's economy.

Nect I'd like to give you a quick breakdown of how we handle reports of exploitation/botting that we recieve.

The large majority of these reports are actually players who have been victims of an account compromise or hack. So, we first check into the account to see if it has been the victim of such a situation. If so, we immediately make sure to apply any appropriate security locks tot he account and proceed to retore the account to its pre-hacked state and inform the owner of the account what has happend.

If the reported account does not appear to be compromised the account get moved on to a full investigation of the botting behavior. our hacks team will typicallly run these investigations by observing the behavior of an account over a few weeks or more to first, be 100% sure there is exploitive automation being used; and second to figure out how is getting around our detection system so that we can update or systems to prevent further use of any botting programs.

The end result is massive waves of account action where all the collected accounts that have been investigated are penalized at the same time! this is why you may see the same character a few times before any action is taken. Worry not though we are on the case and every verified expoiter meets the same end. :) for more information...

That was the Reponse. Hope this helps.

It's been over 2 month that this bot has been running the AH " Since I've noticed " and I think waiting it a little too much. It's obvious what an AH bot is.. and Isn't.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
For those QQ about "OMG you reported a real player", you dont have to worry. He has a new low level toon in the same guild (Only reason I know it's the same person) camping the AH as of yesterday. He was on when I logged off last night at 11:00am server and was still there when I got up at 5:20am server.

Why would a real player camp the AH long term? I could understand short term to make gold... But long term for months? I cant see this as playing the game. I can only see this as gold farming. And selling gold for real money is bad mkay.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

This. A real bot would be online for 24hours at a time, not 12. Of course it always could be a bot, but more likely it was someone laid off of work, on summer break, or who just enjoys playing the AH.

I hate to say this, but actually no. I've looked at some of the botting sites, and they have their own forums and they have some fairly sophisticated methodologies in place for actually using the botting software. One of the key piece of advice they given is to avoid running for 24 hours at a time.

The botters are actually wise to the fact that playing 24 hours at a go looks suspicious. The dumb ones might still try it, but there are a lot more who are smart about it, and avoid obvious behavior.

I don't want to sound like I'm speaking in favor of them, because I'm not. I strongly dislike bots in general, and I really despise the AH bots. My point though, is that the smarter botters appear to use a level of cunning beyond what I'd have expected prior to reading their website.
Edited by Tasida on 2/9/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
For those QQ about "OMG you reported a real player", you dont have to worry. He has a new low level toon in the same guild (Only reason I know it's the same person) camping the AH as of yesterday. He was on when I logged off last night at 11:00am server and was still there when I got up at 5:20am server.

Why would a real player camp the AH long term? I could understand short term to make gold... But long term for months? I cant see this as playing the game. I can only see this as gold farming. And selling gold for real money is bad mkay.

You assume he has a single account. Myself, I run two, with my AH character in pretty much all the time while on my other account I'm running around doing whatever strikes my interest at the time.

You still are making unfair assumptions.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
The thing that people on my server has done to AH bots, is COD them 50 things....it will plug up their mailbox and they are no longer able to bot the ah
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Cannibully
The thing that people on my server has done to AH bots, is COD them 50 things....it will plug up their mailbox and they are no longer able to bot the ah

I had that happen to me once and I coudln't figure it out. That explains it.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
27 Undead Warrior
A lot of ignorance/naivete about wow AH in this thread. Playing the AH is a big part of some people's playstyle. For starters, it can be fun. Anyone that played games like drugwars understands the appeal.

And keep in mind there is an AH app for your phone, and its actually a lot more user friendly. I would use it exclusively for my AH business if not for the transaction limit and having to be logged out of the game. Transactions performed on the mobile AH can be much faster. I can purchase up to 200 individual listings of an item in the time you purchase only a few. I can list bulk auctions faster also. And since I can do it from work, it might appear that I'm always on.

Just keep in mind that just like pvpers and pveers, ah players ate just people enjoying a facet of the game.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
02/09/2013 04:23 PMPosted by Consortium

I had that happen to me once and I coudln't figure it out. That explains it.

Thanks!

we had someone on our server running an AH bot, the person who sent the stuff got a hate rant in game mail from the person...well the bot is no longer playing wow anymore
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Talked with a GM... In general it's legal to run scripts that mass cancel and mass list auctions. It's allowed.

However, if blizzard cared about anything, they'd make it so you could only do like 20 auctions a day, more than enough for any player to do without obviously scripting the crap out of stuff to cheat.

20 auctions? what a joke, I post 20 auctions every hour at least. All these people wanting to handicap moneymakers is really sad. It's no different than someone saying they want to cap valor at 200/wk or take PvP gear out of the game so they can be competitive without putting in the same work.

I am a casual moneymaker, I don't use TSM but I do use Auction Master, keep both my crafting professions' items stocked on the AH and generally everytime I pass by the AH, I have the mod scan my auctions for undercuts and repost them. If you want to make money on the AH then spend more time doing it, just as you won't succeed raiding unless you raid a lot, you're not gonna get good take off the AH unless you pay attention. If you won't put in the work quit whining about the people who do, you don't have a right to make money by doing nothing.
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 12:01 PMPosted by Tsillah
they'd make it so you could only do like 20 auctions a day, more than enough for any player to do

ahahahahahahah

my bank alt's at 111 auctions posted and that's almost nothing
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]