Holy playstyle to stat priorities

90 Draenei Paladin
My question is the huge debate I've seen is over other viable stat priorities so what is the difference in play style for each?

Mastery
Spirit>Mastery>Haste=Crit I would assume is the EF blanketing technique (which after vast research still don't completely grasp)

Burst Healing (this is what we are known for right?)
Spirit>Haste>Mastery>Crit

Output
Spirit>Crit>Mastery>Haste
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Mastery isn't just for EF blankets. It's the most mana effective stat that still gets good output.
It's not really a choice of picking between 3 viable secondaries, its more picking mastery or picking how you want to gimp yourself if you don't want mastery. (though I do think haste > crit, more dependable, and maybe haste will beat mastery when we have more ridiculous spirit)
Edited by Tóri on 1/25/2013 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mastery
Spirit>Mastery>Haste=Crit I would assume is the EF blanketing technique (which after vast research still don't completely grasp)

This is going to come across as blunt, but the concept here is pretty easy to grasp; the HoT portion of Eternal Flame continually adds a mastery shield onto the target. If you are expecting incoming AE damage onto the raid, you can roll Eternal Flame onto the raid and it will continuously add to our Illuminated Healing buff on a target with Eternal Flame on them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
At the moment Mastery is better for output as 100% of the shield can be effective, regardless of whether this is in mass aoe or single target damage phases. Once we are at higher levels of secondary stats, there will be far more freedom to put more of that mastery into haste, or crit if desired.

As for EF 'blanketing' . If you have 4pc PvP or 4pc PvE gear especially, it's one play style, of covering the raid in Eternal flames, giving every member a HoT that continually increases a bubble on them, and also providing mass healing to the beacon target (50% of every HoT tick on the raid is transferred after all, which means you can get up to 50k hps on the tank, without even directly healing them). The downsides are that it often eats a lot more mana then necessary, so it's more effective at higher levels of spirit + gear.
Of course it's not necessary to have the 4pc bonus for this play-style, however it becomes massively more effective with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/25/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Venì
The downsides are that it often eats a lot more mana then necessary, so it's more effective at higher levels of spirit + gear.

Depending on how you're generating HP, it actually doesn't eat up as much mana as trying to burst heal the raid to full. The pally isn't particularly well endowed in the burst healing category compared to some classes, although it certainly fairs better than others. The mainstay of paladin healing right now is a balanced combination of preventative, proactive and reactive healing mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I understand the idea of EF blanketing didn't mean to sound dense there my issue is with employing it within a fight. How to practically keep it up, without overhealing, or consuming stupid amounts of mana.

I love how everyone is defending the mastery playstyle, I wasn't questioning it I know it's best. What I want to know are what are the characteristics of the other playstyles? The sites that we are referred to to learn to heal or gear or stat from only talk about mastery rotations. People continuously bring up the other stat priorities in the discussions I've read but it's always just oh it's a playstyle choice. So is the haste choice more holy radiance and DL or what makes those other playstyles a different playstyle per say? Does the playstyle have alot to do with who your healing with possibly(two absorbing heals seems strange but I've seen it work)?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The problem is that there isn't really a reason to use a haste play style yet. Any burst healing scenarios that haste would help get through is just as easily smoothed over with mastery builds. And there aren't even any scenarios in current content where you need any of the extra bust healing haste provides, assuming you and your raid know how use CDs properly.

You can be successful though picking whatever stat you want. Your just gimping yourself by doing so. Your not even filling a rare niche that is needed on one or 2 fights ever expansion.

And crit doesn't really provide any more throughput. Considering you will go oom trying to do the same things that a mastery build easily does.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]