Out of Mana Podcast Episode 3

Sorry to say I wasn't able to view live. My friends were hanging out in my dorm room, and WoW isn't really their thing so I was uncomfortable viewing this in front of them. They probably would have disrupted my viewing process with jeers.

Fortunately, though, I did watch the latest episode's replay. Although I have no clue what you guys were talking about with the upcoming changes to class skills and what not (being new to WoW), I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. Something about in-depth discussion of healing, the mechanics, the everything... just makes me happy. It's inexplicable, really. Keep up the great work!
Edited by Aoz on 2/1/2013 9:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Glad you enjoyed it! :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Glad you enjoyed it as well :D! Least you can catch the episodes later ;)

And we have lots of episodes planned in the future!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'd like to see some discussion about what this guy is saying about Spirit and healing in general:

http://iam.yellingontheinternet.com/2012/10/08/why-more-spirit-is-not-the-answer-to-your-healing-problems/

I know a bunch of people (Kaels included) loved that article, but I found it to be dumb, I'm sorry. Maybe it's just because I healed on a shaman, so there is (1) the whole MTT thing and (2) the fact that we have increased spell size not only from intellect but also from mastery.

But this part of the article bugs me:

Let’s work an example: as a Druid, let’s say I used a Spirit flask, 1000 Spirit. Over the course of, let’s say, 3 minutes of healing, that 1000 Spirit will get me just over 20000 mana. Or, roughly enough to cast 2 Rejuvenations. So that’s the first step. In my head, I’ve relabeled Flask of Falling Leaves as “Flask of 2 Rejuvs.” Suddenly it does not seem very compelling.

Well then, since 1000 spirit provides only two rejuvs, let's just go ahead and reforge out of 1000 more spirit then, that's only two more rejuvs. Hey, what the hell, let's go down from 9K to 5K spirit, that's only a total of 8 rejuvs!

The guy who wrote this is Hamlet of Elitist Jerks. Maybe he used to raid in other expansions, but honestly, he doesn't appear to raid very much at all now. He has a handful of MSV normal kills, and one kill of Vizier Zor'lok on normal. Nothing else. It is easy to tell people they don't need much spirit when you aren't actually tackling the content.

Edit: He also appears to be running with 4887 spirit. He is logged out as resto, but who knows, maybe he is usually boomkin.

To be fair, Hamlet has been maintaining the Druid spreadheet Treecalcs forever, as well as the Boomikin version, Wrathcalcs. Both are very impressive simulation tools, and nothing to just shrug off.

Also, he is really focusing on the 1:1 trades for spirit:intellect, and not others areas such as gemming where it is 2:1, or reforging spirit to other secondary stats. He has had similar blogs/posts in the past evaluating regen versus throughput tradeoffs, so he has spent significant time pondering it all.

This was one of my favorites from Cata:

http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/1152-hamlet/555-theorycraft_101_regen_vs_throughput_choices_healers/

Don't forget this is Druid-centric to boot. He does go into more detail on this topic (forget if it was in that specific blog, or on the forums) that the class/spec does matter, as many have a higher value for spirit.

I happen to agree with him wholeheartedly, and think trading intellect at a 1:1 ratio is a poor choice for a Druid. I flask and eat int food, yet I still gem/reforge for max spirit, etc..
Edited by Fangthorn on 2/1/2013 10:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I swear, Fangthorn, you are never online when I try to poke you.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Now I feel like a dirty raid logger!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Sorry to say I wasn't able to view live. My friends were hanging out in my dorm room, and WoW isn't really their thing so I was uncomfortable viewing this in front of them. They probably would have disrupted my viewing process with jeers.

Fortunately, though, I did watch the latest episode's replay. Although I have no clue what you guys were talking about with the upcoming changes to class skills and what not (being new to WoW), I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. Something about in-depth discussion of healing, the mechanics, the everything... just makes me happy. It's inexplicable, really. Keep up the great work!

Thank you. We'll most likely do an episode where we talk about some of our tricks when it comes to healing to try and help out new players.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/03/2013 02:29 AMPosted by Alphadruid
Didn't find this on youtube. Where is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B47RFl8Uzhg
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]