Frost Mage 5.1 PVP Glyphs, RBGS, CC vs DPS

90 Human Mage
Okay -- What 3 glyphs are you using? I'm currently using Icy Veins, Evo and Ice Lance. I feel like Ice Lance and Icy Veins are holding back DPS. Help!!

Currently I lead lots of 1900 rbgs groups. I do over 100 ccs per game but the problem is, I bottom the charts for damage everytime. Like 1-3 million. I have full malev and about 16 malev upgrades currently. I just reforged (today) from Mastery BACK to haste. It didn't change anything much when I went to Mastery from haste the first time... Typically when I'm in a target my rotation is (when im going for damage) Freeze, Icelance, Frostbolt x3 if possible, deep freeze, presence of mind- frostfire bolt. Icelance when proceed, Frostfire when Procced.

I just set up focus macros which should help me loads. That way I can cc the heals while dpsing. That alone should def increase my damage. But I feel my rotation is way off.

Mainly, I need to increase my damage. Any suggestions of the Top mages I can armory to see their stats??
Edited by Subzelo on 1/27/2013 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
98 Undead Mage
Venruki
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Stop CCing so much you're probably putting down your globals and cast times. Only CC when you really need it.

Also spamming sheep can sometimes not even be worth it because of all the AoE.

Haste is probably better just so you have more GCDs to work with and your NT will hit more quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
It seems like not many mage glyphs are rbg oriented, lately I've been using ice lance, deep freeze, and evocation

Usually I cc people who venture too far from the group, it's not worth cc ing people in a large mob as there is a large amount of aoe going around
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You need to alter your rotation completely. Frost single target damage wont get you anywhere in damage charts and the burst alone wont kill anyone unless someone else is helping you. What you need to do is spam nether tempest on most players you can. CC when needed to land a burst kill. Use your frostfire procs to line up kills, frostbolt is kinda useless, Ice lance glyph is fine.

It's not a glyph issue, just change your rotation to what I said and you will notice a large increase.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
First off make sure your gear is all set up. Socked pvp power as much as you can depending on how well you can survive in rbgs. Make sure you have all the right mop enchantments including jade spirit to wep (that will increase damage significantly). Your first two glyphs should be ice lance and icy veins for the most damage output and kill setups. Your third should be either glyph of polymorph (for more reliable cc) or glyph of armors (for extra survivability). Also you could use glyph of deep freeze for cc and kill setups as well. Next make sure to take incanter's ward as your last talent.

Now you are ready to Rbg. Your first problem is you are trying to cc way to much. You have to wait for good opportunities when you know your cc will stick on your target without being broken, or when your team is about to make a switch target in which case you would focus cc the healers then burst.

When going for raw aoe damage your best spell is without a doubt is nether tempest. Spread it to everyone and everything you can see in rbgs minding not to break cc. Your next best aoe spell is FROZEN ORB. A well placed orb that hits every target in their raid mixed with some novas and rings will fill your screen with huge crits that crush damage charts. The orb cannot be wasted on single targets unless absolutely necessary. Many frost mages overlook frozen orb but it is your second most damaging spell in rbgs.

Your third best spell for aoe damage is your ice lance with glyph of ice lance especially during a phase such as after you use frozen orb where you wall have fof procs that you can continuously unload on people in a close group.

When setting up a kill on a single target you wait for a brain freeze proc from nether tempest wile activating incater's ward to get the 25 % increase in damage. Then pop your pvp trinket, icy veins, and mirror images (macro these together). Pet nova the target to keep him in place and generate two procs from fof. Now you have the target in a kill position with all your procs and power-ups activated. Use your frozen orb to break the nova and slow the target in place. pop presence of mind and right after alter time. Deep freeze the target and cast 2 frostfire bolts into him, one from the fof proc and the other from the pom. use your ice lance procs and alter time again to have all your procs back up. Repeat your burst and watch your target melt. If you get lucky and have your other trinket and jade spirit proc your target will be one shot.

With these combinations i wreck damage charts and 2.2k ratings usually pulling around 20 mil depending on the map. Just make sure the healers are taken care of with a god ring before you try and land a kill.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Qzq,

thank you VERY much. I'm getting ready to try this and hopefully I have success! anyway you could real id friend me?

What about reforging? Someone just told me 10% haste, 15% crit, rest matery.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Also... what Armor are you using? Frost Armor. or Mage armor? I switched my glyphs to Ice Lance, Ivy veins and Deep Freeze. The Armor glyph on frost armor... wouldnt that only increase the Slow effect? But I guess if you use mage armor, it's a diff ball game.

Gems... I have 320 pvp power in every slot I possibly can. I believe my resil is like 61 or 62%. But I DROPPPPPPPPP so fast. Should I use the 160-160 power/resil gems? Or should I first get my damage up to where I want it and then mess with resil?

Do you ever use presence of mind/frost fire bolt?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Also... what Armor are you using? Frost Armor. or Mage armor? I switched my glyphs to Ice Lance, Ivy veins and Deep Freeze. The Armor glyph on frost armor... wouldnt that only increase the Slow effect? But I guess if you use mage armor, it's a diff ball game.

Gems... I have 320 pvp power in every slot I possibly can. I believe my resil is like 61 or 62%. But I DROPPPPPPPPP so fast. Should I use the 160-160 power/resil gems? Or should I first get my damage up to where I want it and then mess with resil?

Do you ever use presence of mind/frost fire bolt?

You use mage armor for Frost PvP, for the added boost in dmg from Mastery and the -20% off magical dots and CC effects. You usually only want to PoM for your Ring of Frost in RBGs since it can be interrupted quickly and you won't have the 2 second prompt to the team that "a ring is going to be right there! Move out!" , it will just instantly appear.

As a mage, you're naturally squishy. You just need to learn to peel back, LoS, and manage your ice blocks sufficiently.
Edited by Kelsus on 1/29/2013 7:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I normally top dmg in my rbgs at 1700.

Glyphs i run are sheep/Icelance/Deepfreeze

Sheep is for when i need a cc to stick. Icelance is to increase pressure by damaging people around my target so they have to spread heals and can't just turret heals into someone. Deepfreeze is because anything off the global cd is awesome.

I run a NT build that utilizes haste. I gear for haste>crit(to cap)>mastery>crit

Run with full res gems.

My dps strategy is to keep pressure applied. Usually it boils down to keeping NT on at least 3 targets. Good usage of alter time with 2 procs and ffb.

They holy grail in this situation is when you get a lock on one of the teams healers then orbing into a mess of players with NT ticking. So your rotation looks something like

Dps trinket> altertime> ILx2 >FFB>ILx2>FFBx2 >ILx2. (Hypothetical, depends on how much your orb decides to proc and when NT fades from enemies, but none the less its a !@#$ ton of IL's and FFB)

Usually 2-3 people are dipping low due to your cleave on your teams cleave.

I actually like to focus Deep healers instead of deeping a kill target while i have Fof procs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
That person was on drugs, for reforging make sure you first get the 6 percent hit cap then stat priority is as follows: PvP resil> PVP power>Mastery>Haste>Crit so reforge all of your crit into hit until you are at 6 percent, then reforge all the remaining crit to mastery or if the piece has mastery already then reforge the crit to haste. Next reforge all the haste you can to mastery.
Edited by Qzq on 3/3/2013 4:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Normally in rbgs i use the mage armor not only because it causes you to stay in cc for a shorter period but also because of the huge mastery buff. In my opinion the higher mastery will give you much better damage overall then the haste because frost mages currently don't cast all that much not to mention it will give you a higher burst damage to drop targets which is what you really want. For gems i would either use full resil gems or full pvp power/pvp resil (vivid) depending on how good you are at surviving but do not use any full pvp power gems, you will die way too fast and no matter how much pvp power you have if you are dead you wont do any damage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
If you want to do the most over burst do as follows: put up nether tempest wait for a brainfreeze proc once you get it pop your burst macro with icy veins and trinket. Next pop frozen orb which will give you fingers of frost procs. At this point you should have 2 procs of fingers of frost and one brain freeze proc, use pom then alter time use your brainfreeze proc then another instant cast frostfirebolt from pom (this frostfire bolt will not count as a brain freeze proc so it wont act as if your target is frozen thus use deep freeze at this point) next use your fingers of frost procs then alter time again. This will once again give you full procs and another pom to use so just repeat the first steps listed above. Once you master this rotation you will destroy targets but know that it is very hard to do all of that in a pvp situation due to ccs and dispels. add me real ID if you need any more help. 2bbaltusnik3@gmail.com
Edited by Qzq on 3/3/2013 4:17 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]