Ret Unique RBG spell Ideas

90 Draenei Paladin
Dk's get brought into RBG's for grip. Rogues are brought in for smoke bomb and ninja cap. Warrior are brought for mobility and CC.

What would you like to see Ret paladin have that would make people say, "LF1M Ret RBG"

Please be creative, and specific. Also, try not to get caught up in the logistics of any one idea please.

Mine.

Aura of Unshackled Faith
2 min cooldown 6 sec duration
All part members within 40 yards are immune to all CC and slowing effects for 6 seconds. You can only have one aura active at a time.

Other Suggestions

Devotion Aura has 1.5min CD for Ret, or last 10 seconds when a Ret cast it.

HoR or Crusader Strike Applies a 25%/15% Healing debuff.

Hand of Freedom also removes stuns or fear (any of those will do but not both), but can only do so every 25 seconds (this would prevent clemency from being far too OP).

When you cast Hand of Sacrifice you reduce the duration of all incoming CC for 40% of your current target ( Can only Happen once every 1 min to prevent Clemency being too OP).

Glyph of Templar verdict now last 8 seconds, and applies 5% damage reduction around the paladin (10yds).

Retribution Aura- 35-40% damage reduction 20% returned to dealer as holy damage 10s duration 1m cooldown. Purple glow to armor. Can be activated while stunned.

Aura of the Light
1.5 minute cooldown
Enemies near the paladin take 35% less healing, allies near the paladin take 35% more healing. Lasts 6 seconds.

A Denounce like debuff added to our TV preventing our current target from critting thus nerfing their damage or heals.

Retribution Aura
"Provides you and all teammates within 40 yards a holy shield that reflects [X% of paladin's attack power] damage back to attackers for Y seconds. Only one aura can be active at a time

Hand of Retribution
You place the Hand spell on an enemy target and 50% of the damage they deal is reflected back to them up to 50% of the paladins health.
Or it is placed on to a friendly target and 50% of the dmg dealt to them is reflected back to their attackers up to the casting Paladin's health.

Eye for and Eye
The way I see E4E working is a stacking buff to damage, and possibly run speed which is applied when the paladin is CCd. If the ret is cc'd during their burst, E4E stack is going to carry over the damage increasing buff so the burst CDs aren't totally countered by CC.

Unfearable for 3 seconds when Freedom is casted, castable while feared on self.

Blizzard update
01/30/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Ghostcrawler
We agree that Retribution does not offer enough benefits to an Arena or Battleground team beyond just taking a Holy paladin. We are going to try a change where Hand of Sacrifice also dispels all harmful magic effects on the target for Ret only.

you seem like a smart guy, explain how this helps our current problem?

We were trying to solve a very specific problem here, where a paladin wants to join an Arena team, and the team says "Can't you just go Holy, because you won't lose anything?" or the paladin looking for an RBG team who hears "We need a rogue and a DK, but don't have room for a Ret paladin." We were specifically looking for a modest buff to group utility that was Ret specific.

On survivability specifically, I feel like we're hearing that DKs are squishy and paladins are squishy and shaman are squishy, which makes me think that once Defensive Stance for warriors isn't overpowered that all melee might feel about the same.

yeah, we agree. It's not "Ret mandatory on every 3s team" good, but I think you can understand why we wouldn't want that.

We are considering some other buffs to Ret still. We don't know yet if we will do any or all of these (they are emphatically not promises) but the kind of thing we are considering:

- Glyph of Blessed Life -- no longer requires Seal of Insight. You can have any Seal or none active, which puts the glyph in Ret's hands.
- Glyph of Templar's Verdict -- damage reduction triggered by Exorcism (or both) instead. That way you aren't choosing TV over a heal.
- Light's Hammer -- also snares targets it damages while in range. This one potentially buffs Holy too, but we're not sure that many Holy paladins would give up Prism to take it.
Edited by Capnflags on 2/1/2013 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Didn't we have similar talent in early MoP beta that made consecration a CC immunity for any party members in its area of effect?
Reply Quote
I really like that idea!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Rework of devotion aura

For ret only

Aoe fear break, silence and fear immunity for 6 seconds to all party members within range.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Someone else in another thread suggested and AOE hammer of justice which made me laugh but then I thought about it and its not so far out when you look at other class abilities.

If the stun duration was shortened it might be plausible tho I'm more of a fan of less stuns in the game and more stun/fear immunity.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

For ret only

This is essential! If its not just for rets, people will just see it as a buff to the holy toolkit.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Devotion Aura has 1.5min CD for Ret, or last 10 seconds when a Ret cast it.

HoR or Crusader Strike Applies a 25%/15% Healing debuff.

Hand of Freedom also removes stuns or fear (any of those will do but not both), but can only do so every 25 seconds (this would prevent clemency from being far too OP).

When you cast Hand of Sacrifice you reduce the duration of all incoming CC for 40% of your current target ( Can only Happen once every 1 min to prevent Clemency being too OP).

Glyph of Templar verdict now last 8 seconds, and applies 5% damage reduction around the paladin (10yds).

Any of these changes would do, but only one of them.
Reply Quote
*Spots Elias* /GASP
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Stun removing freedoms!
Reply Quote
3 Undead Rogue
It seems like some good suggestions have already been brought up. Hopefully Blizzard sees this post and considers a change to help us be viable in RBGs. As it stands right now with 2400 exp and T2 I can hardly work my way into a group at is 1800+.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I posted something about bringing retribution aura back in the PTR forums

35-40% damage reduction 20% returned to dealer as holy damage 10s duration 1m cooldown

Purple glow to armor. Can be activated while stunned.

This would def give us some much needed survivability and would provide a disincentive for teams to train us right away.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/29/2013 05:54 AMPosted by Malachi
I posted something about bringing retribution aura back in the PTR forums

I'm getting alot of suggestions about giving each spec its own powerful aura. I Really like that idea, but only if the aure is powerful enough to warrant bringing us into raids. It has to be a game changer in Rets case.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Some really nice ideas, I see!

Mine as well throw in my ability idea.

Aura of the Light
1.5 minute cooldown
Enemies near the paladin take 35% less healing, allies near the paladin take 35% more healing. Lasts 6 seconds.

Numbers can be adjusted accordingly if it's found too overpowered or too underpowered.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Chances of this being read in the class forums by a dev prob rather low..
Pity tho, there's a few good ideas here..
Atleast we all agree that ret does need something special and unique..
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
01/29/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Invincible
It's pretty sad that you guys resort to asking for game breakingly op spells for viability rofl.

01/29/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Astaeri
Numbers can be adjusted accordingly if it's found too overpowered or too underpowered.

I think this applies to all of our ideas.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Very funny invincible..
OP abilities seem to be what this expansion is about.
Even if our numbers are tweaked and brought closer in line with other classes..
Issue still is ret brings nothing unique! Everything we have, a holy pally has but better..
We are talking about making ret more viable.

In an rbg setting, look at some of the aoe abilities other classes have..

Solar beam
Smoke bomb
Ring of frost
Chaos wave
Howl or terror
Psychic scream
Shockwave

The list goes on and on with other aoe abilities that either put out massive plain or unique spells like boonies and ele shams being able to do push/knock backs
I don't think an aoe fear breaker/immunity is that far fetched.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well holy has plenty of cc..
HoJ, blinding light and repentance..
Dunno what your in about..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Invincible
Paladins aren't meant to break cc or have cc. That's just the way it is.

I also think it should be this way. But only if our damage was, at least, A LOT more than any other melee class - which is never going to happen considering that ret' DPS is actually one of the worst from any melee class and even considering that they have better mobility and/or better cc and/or better survivability/counter-cc as well; not to mention how OP our damage would be in PvE, where I think we actually are pretty balanced (considering our support toolkit).

So yeah.. until Paladin has only 1 DPS class we wont be what you think we should, unless you want people complaining how bad we are in PvP (specially BGs) or how OP we are in PvE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]