Holy pally PVE help/guides/info

90 Draenei Paladin
My line of thought, while giving the talent a try is that, even though VooDoo Dolls does not in fact give a "periodic ticking damage debuff" it is, in itself, a periodic effect. So I gave it a try. It seems to work, though I cannot for the life of me figure out where to track mitigated damage on WoL. (Please help)

I'm fully aware that this could just be a series of coinciding cds but it does appear that the dmg taken is greatly reduced while it is up (from my viewpoint during the fight). Hopefully you guys can know where to look to let me know if it is actually working, like I thought it was.

This is SG where it is known to work
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-arxxljysgx72w30v/sum/healingDone/?s=8933&e=9247

This is Gara, which I would like to know if it is actually working
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-k77kxm5rzi6vevtn/sum/healingDone/?s=5721&e=6056
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Just from a quick look, a lot of the times you're casting Purity on the tank, the tank doesn't take any Voodoo Doll damage in the next 6 seconds at all, so it would have no chance to reduce his Voodoo Doll damage taken. This is of course because the only damage transferred via Voodoo Doll to the tank is damage from Spirit Realm adds on the other Dolls, and if you are keeping adds under control this happens infrequently.

I am still looking for a situation where the tank has Hand of Purity up, and another Dolled person takes damage, and that damage is transferred to the Purity-buffed tank, to see if the damage from Voodoo Doll is actually mitigated by HoPurity. It's just not happening much.

Okay, so consider what I'll call "Case 1": Hand of Purity on a player reduces the amount of Voodoo Doll damage that player takes from other Voodoo Dolled players. Here is a log showing you casting Voodoo Doll on a tank, then another Voodoo Dolled player taking a Shadowy Minion's Spiritual Grasp, and that damage being transferred via Voodoo Doll to the tank:

[19:12:07.360] Ceresc casts Hand of Purity on Exzion
[19:12:10.730] Shadowy Minion Spiritual Grasp Xhutch 59606
[19:12:11.140] Xhutch Voodoo Dolls Exzion Absorb (59606)

You can see that Xhutch takes 59606 damage, and transfers to Exzion, through Voodoo Dolls, 59606 damage (which Exzion absorbed, because he's a cheaty DK tank and that's just how he works, or because you have Illuminated Healing up, either/or :P), even though Hand of Purity is active on Exzion at that time. If Hand of Purity mitigated this damage, we'd expect that last line to read more along the lines of "Xhutch Voodoo Dolls Exzion Absorb (17882)".

Consider "Case 2": Having Hand of Purity up on a Voodoo Dolled target reduces the amount of damage they transfer to other Voodoo Doll targets. Here is that same Purity cast, showing Gara'jal damaging your tank, and that damage being transferred to the other Voodoo Doll targets.

[19:12:07.360] Ceresc casts Hand of Purity on Exzion
[19:12:09.510] Gara'jal the Spiritbinder Sweeping Kick Exzion 106452
[19:12:09.910] Exzion Voodoo Dolls Ceresc 102881 (A: 3571)
[19:12:09.910] Exzion Voodoo Dolls Xhutch 102945 (A: 3507)

You can see that Gara'jal dealt 106452 damage to the tank, and the Voodoo Dolls each took 106452 damage from Exzion's Voodoo Doll transference. If Hand of Purity worked in this Case, you would expect Ceresc and Xhutch to have taken only 31936 damage each.

I don't think it's even worth considering the possibility that Hand of Purity is mitigating the direct attacks to that tank. If that were the case, then the Sweeping Kick from the log above would be dealing (106452/0.3 =) 354840 damage outside of Hand of Purity. That's incredibly unlikely; the largest hit I am seeing from any of Gara'jal's Shadowy Attacks in this log is 180k, at the end during the Frenzy, and the target of that attack did not have Hand of Purity active at that time.

So Case 1 and Case 2 hypotheses both do not appear to hold true. I am not trying to be mean, and I hope you aren't taking it this way, but I am fairly confident that there is no use for Hand of Purity on this encounter.

Cheers to Sparklefever for helping me navigate the log ;)
Edited by Dayani on 1/28/2013 9:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/28/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Dayani
I am still looking for a situation where the tank has Hand of Purity up, and another Dolled person takes damage, and that damage is transferred to the Purity-buffed tank, to see if the damage from Voodoo Doll is actually mitigated by HoPurity. It's just not happening much.

Well I'm completely comfortable to do more research so that I can look into it more. If it is actually working than its worth knowing that its working. And if it isn't actually working than its no loss as I've been healing with the placebo effect the whole time lol.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Check my newly-edited post above :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/28/2013 09:32 PMPosted by Dayani
Check my newly-edited post above :)

Ya I think I was going back at the same time you were. In fact, that is the exact example that I was just looking at. It does not actually work. Which does actually make my very sad. Though it had the appearance of working it was more of everyone else's buffs/mitigations working and not mine. :( Super sad. But now at least I know not to use it anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/28/2013 09:49 PMPosted by Ceresc
Ya I think I was going back at the same time you were. In fact, that is the exact example that I was just looking at. It does not actually work. Which does actually make my very sad. Though it had the appearance of working it was more of everyone else's buffs/mitigations working and not mine. :( Super sad. But now at least I know not to use it anymore.

Hand of Protection and Sacred Shield work great on this fight.

When I go into the Spirit Realm, I would drop Light's Hammer and refresh Sacred Shield to make it easier for the other healer.

I would save Hand of Protection for the last 20 percent mini enrage. Hand of Protection on the tank with agro first, and after that is done, I would put the second Hand of Protection on one of the non-tank Vodoo Doll.
Reply Quote
11 Goblin Shaman
Might be a little late to be adding this, but Getsu's Sanctuary is a good starting point for tips on paladin healing.

He gives recommended talents and healing tips for each of the boss fights so far in MoP.

While I've made some changes to things as I go, I found it to be a great starting point for how to approach each fight.

http://getsussanctuary.yellingontheinternet.com/?s=mogu%27shan+vault&op.x=0&op.y=0
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
VEX
Use Glyph of Holy Light, put Beacon on one tank and spam Holy Light on the other. Judge on cooldown. Just put yellow Int gems in all sockets, ignore socket bonuses. Since Divine Plea scales with the size of your mana pool and you already do so much overhealing, spellpower gems are mostly a waste.

If they tell you to stack spellpower and just spam Flash of Light, they're bad, ignore them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/29/2013 06:42 AMPosted by Nezne
Might be a little late to be adding this, but Getsu's Sanctuary is a good starting point for tips on paladin healing

Super helpful!! Thanks! I found info on EF blanketing that I was looking for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]