Healing and Dealing

90 Undead Priest
Somebody said to me while pulling trash, "YOU ARE A HEALER."

Well if I can handle healing and dpsing, shouldn't I be able to? I only do it if a tank is well geared, knows what he is doing, and I know the layout of the level so they don't have to wait if I go OOM.

Of course, there have been times where I was dpsing and and a dpser life dropped faster than I anticipated (standing in damage, not paying attention) and i couldnt shield, guardian spirit, etc fast enough to save him. But 99/100 of the time it makes the run go alot faster.

I set up my heals first, before I do damage, making sure people are topped off and wont go below 3/4 health before I start healing again, rinse and repeat during a pull.

Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What Barthom means is that you're Holy (and only Holy for some reason). Whomever gave you flak for dpsing wasn't necessarily being mean, he might of been wondering why you weren't Discipline.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
It's perfectly fine to DPS as a healer.... some tight berserk/# fights even require healers to DPS things at times (Ultrax,Garajal,Spine Tendons) so unless the tank is dying then the let the haters hate.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/28/2013 05:14 AMPosted by Barthom
atonement healing

I'm talking about serious dps and healing, while keeping up with the average dps damage.

As you can see I am holy, and doesn't holy output more damage than disc? I mostly run 5-mans anyways.
Edited by Healustrious on 1/28/2013 6:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Doesn't matter what others say. They were probably butthurt you were out DPS'ing them or something. As long as everyone stays up, I don't think the majority of people care or even notice what anyone else does.

That being said, you are now at the level where it begins to get a bit dicey for some mechanics (mostly for derp DPS). Make sure in the long run, you care more about healing when it's needed than DPS'ing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/28/2013 05:43 AMPosted by Katlei
They were probably butthurt you were out DPS'ing them or something.

Probably this, it was.
Edited by Healustrious on 1/28/2013 6:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nothing wrong with dpsing as long as healing is in good shape and you aren't running yourself oom. At the same time the advice to go disc and just atonement heal is solid, especially until the next patch. Then all that dps you do will also provide heals.

Offtopic: The name of this thread would make an awesome guild name!
Edited by Feyranna on 1/28/2013 6:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Most dps are just super butthurt these days that healers and tanks can out dps them.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
In 5 mans, it's very easy for me to currently do 6-7k dps with a bit of stance dancing and knowing the fight. I make sure I'm in Chakra: Sanctuary if we're coming up on heavy dmg or lots of inc adds. However, if I'm only healing a well geared tank and I want the boss to die, you bet I'll be in Chakra: Chastise to simply get some more output in my dps.

Have I out dps'd people? Sure I have. But my alt warlock puts my healer's dps to shame and he's a few levels lower.

Especially in LFG 5 man content, the extra dps makes it all go that much faster.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Why were you pulling?

I DPS while healing too. Did a LFD this weekend and go dropped into MSP. Tank was a real champ, running through as quickly as possible, grabbing multiple groups. It was great. Got up to Xin ...

Pop HotW, Wrath Spam ... who's at the top of the DPS charts while keeping everyone alive? This guy.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you were pulling, I'd certainly back a votekick if someone threw one out there. One of the most distasteful runs I've ever had was trying to tank SFK with a 'loomed out healer that pulled, even after he wiped us once.

Otherwise, it's no big deal. If you are doing it carefully enough that the only way everyone ever notices is by the meters, then no worries. But Lord in heaven help you if you make a mistake and someone dies an unnecessary death.

<S>
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
DPS: Fine.

Pulling: Not fine.

Difference: 3 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
01/28/2013 06:38 AMPosted by Ashpridesin
Most dps are just super butthurt these days that healers and tanks can out dps them.

This is very true. I believe in general most DPS are bad. In every 5 man or LFR i have done the dps rarely do over 50k with the vast majority falling in the 30-40k bracket. Obviously there are exceptions but I hope some braod generalizations of DPS and how poorly so many of them perform will spur some effort.
If people die because they are standing in something, well probably shouldn't have stood in that. Haters gonna hate like Dezie said.
Maybe try going disc, you seem to enjoy the idea of doing dmg and healing, why not do one better and heal WHILE you do dmg. the disc priest in my guild does crazy dmg as disc while doing really soild HPS like on garalon where the enrage can be pretty tight.
Reply Quote
Before they nerfed the heck out of it, I made it a habit to heal 5-mans as shadow. I could provide healing AND do a little damage if needed and while there was the oddball who thought that healers should be holy, ultimately no one complained b/c I got the job done and did it well. Heck, I've received guild invites based on my ability to heal and output a rather respectable amount of damage... and this was BEFORE Atonement became an ability.

Basically, if you do your primary job well (healing), then there's no reason for anyone to complain. Anyone who does complain is probably one of those persons who complains if their toast isn't buttered correctly.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/28/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Barthom
im not sure if holy can out dps disc, I do know that you heal and dps simultaneously as disc, also penance is a nice bit of damage that heals for whatever it hits, same for holy fire.

Holy absolutely can outDPS Disc. Holy is roughly 80% of your average DPS class on a single target; Disc is closer to 60%. If you're working on a boss where you can't beat the enrage timer with 3 healers, if the healing is handled aside from a couple of spots that could use major cooldowns, you can bring a holy priest in to basically be a DPS with healing CDs. That's mostly what I use my Holy spec for - when Shadow off-heals just won't cut it, but we can't use another real healer. (It's fabulous for early progression even if you eventually expect to be full-on DPS. Wiping? lolDivinehymn! Someone dying? lolGS!)

But Disc will typically do more damage in a healing role due to (1) no Chakra restriction and (2) not needing to stop and heal nearly as often. The only way you get decent damage as a holy priest is if your healing is mostly superfluous; you need to be able to hang out in Chakra: Chastise and mash 211111111211111112111111 until your finger bleeds.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I switch between chakras as needed, but mostly stay in chastise.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Why do people post stupid threads?

Do you want attention? Do you just complain about obvious things in the hope every idiot who ques a dung will read this thread..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]