Writing Contest: Winner announced!

90 Night Elf Warrior
“They’ll be here soon.” She meant the adventurers and tourists from among the other races, sent to collect the token that he could offer, and the wisdom that he would share.

“It is enough that I can see you. How long can you stay this year?” His face fell just a fraction as he glanced over her shoulder, spotting the first adventurer, a Human, heading toward him.

“Just two days. But there is always next year.” She smiled brightly, another tear running down her cheek. Even though she’d lost him, he’d always return for her. And she’d return for him, until age or battle claimed her, and she could join him in Elune’s light for eternity.

“There is always next year”, he agreed.

She stepped back away from him, her eyes never leaving his face, as the Human stepped up to receive his first token of the Lunar Festival.

I know it's a little long, but I love this holiday.

The original post can be found on my website. =)

http://slywynwrites.wordpress.com

:D
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Thank you, Sinfalore! <3
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Thank you, Sinfalore! <3

=)

I was starting to think I broke it because noone responded for so long! xD
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Sprucing up this thread with some much needed color variation.

Also a question, you mention the stories about the elders and using specific ones. Though does it need to be a specific one in-game? This is not a problem with what I had already started writing, but I may adjust a few things and check out the NPCs in game if so.

Also thank you for all that are hosting and contributing to this. This is one of the reasons I stubbornly cling to this server even as some friends have left.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I love these little challenges of writing. And you all are being amazingly generous to hold this contest.

I hope I can get an entry done in time. I have an idea for one :D
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Also a question, you mention the stories about the elders and using specific ones. Though does it need to be a specific one in-game? This is not a problem with what I had already started writing, but I may adjust a few things and check out the NPCs in game if so.

Also thank you for all that are hosting and contributing to this. This is one of the reasons I stubbornly cling to this server even as some friends have left.

To answer your question: Yes, it will need to be one of the NPCs in-game. I don't know if this may save some traveling (although you are highly encouraged to explore the game world :D), but the Wowhead Lunar Festival guide has all the Elders named and mapped out:

http://www.wowhead.com/news=210153/2013-lunar-festival-january-27-february-9-guide

And thank you and Civardi for the kind words! We are really grateful that the community is pitching in to make this a fun contest!
Reply Quote
Looking forward to reading alllll the entries! :3
Reply Quote
I always love it when someone does a contest. First thought: yeah, I wanna enter a story! Second thought:....

(Brain freezes, every time.)
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Bump!
Reply Quote
I always love it when someone does a contest. First thought: yeah, I wanna enter a story! Second thought:....

(Brain freezes, every time.)

You can do it! Just flow of thought it and edit later! :3
Reply Quote
I was just wondering where the heck the elders came from, and I HAVE been wanting to write something...
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
01/30/2013 10:43 PMPosted by Brigeda
I was just wondering where the heck the elders came from, and I HAVE been wanting to write something...

We'd love to read a story from you!

If anyone else is reading this and getting the jitters, think of this way - take it as a fun little writing prompt. If you're afraid of what others may think about your story, e-mail it to us at the address in the original post! This is really just an encouraging attempt to get people's creativity stirred up - give it a try!
Reply Quote
Is it ok to write about more than one elder? I had an idea for something humorous involving all of them together.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
01/31/2013 07:32 AMPosted by Brigeda
Is it ok to write about more than one elder? I had an idea for something humorous involving all of them together.

That's fine!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Up we go! Still time to write something for the contest :)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I blame this thread for consuming my weekend (unusual weekly schedule.) My entry is below in 2 parts due to length. If I should win anything out of this I request it be split evenly and sent to Roulette and Lotuslily in recognition of their contributions to the RP community.

Otherwise thanks for hosting this, I had a lot of fun writing this. It reminded me of just how much I love night elf lore.

EDIT: I also approached this from an unusual angle, so I understand if it might be ineligible. Mostly just appreciative of having cool prompts like this.

The sun shone down brilliantly on Astranaar, and a strong sentinel who stood watch over the lake's shore. Mere years ago a shaft of light here and there would be the only signs of day. Jaethe sighed at the thought as she stood guard. Though the sun's warmth was kept in line by the cool breeze of the season, that large gap in the forest canopy was a constant reminder of the orcs' presence.

'At least I'll have a quiet shift,' she thought to herself. True to their Common name, her people preferred the night. And anyone that spent much time in Ashenvale knew the orcs' misplaced sense of honor dissuaded them from striking the kaldorei unaware. On the rare exception to this, they were kind enough to provide their own alarm with their brazen warcries.

Jaethe wandered to the lakeside shrine, idly playing with a thick coin in one hand. The other she ran over the structure's ancient woodwork. A few sparse banners, and ribbons adorned it. Above hung a paper lantern, shifting with the wind and fighting against the sun to cast its dim blue light. On one pillar was an inscription, "Riversong." Below that, Jeathe knew, was a brief account of the elder's feats in battle. Now a parchment sign had been placed over it with a rough approximation of the same name in Common. Jaethe frowned, turning to watch the water, leaning on the shring with crossed arms.

"You seem upset," spoke a familiar woman's voice behind her.

"It's nothing."

"Don't you like the decorations?"

Jaethe grunted, "This is all the respect we have to pay our elders?"

"I appreciate the decorations' subtlety," the older woman admired. "And it is nice seeing people travel to visit."

"They're just tourists, mother." Jaethe turned to her just long enough to roll her eyes. Then the tired sentinel returned her gaze to the water shaking her head. "It's a novelty to them."

"You are in a bitter mood," sternly intoning her disapproval.

"And why shouldn't I be?" The strong woman turned with a gesture challenging her mother to answer. "They make light of what we fought to earn. But now we travel to the far corners of the earth at the beck and call of those children. They have us fight their wars, and die to their enemies!" The excited energy begins to leave Jaethe's voice, "I've watched my sisters fall to the living dead, orcs, even the plains tauren we called friends."

"Those same 'children' rose to defend the World Tree with us."

"Ha! Should I thank them for removing the trouble they brought us?" Jaethe crossed her arms, again turning away. "They also brought us the orcs. The orcs that are burning down our forest; your forest. How am I supposed to feel about them?"

After a long pause, she answered with a defeated tone. "I don't know, Jaethe."

Having talked herself into a sullen mood, Jaethe sat hunched over, elbows resting on arched knees. She produced that old coin again and turned it in her hands. "I'm sorry mom, I-"

"No," interrupted her mother, shaking her head firmly," it's fine. Still, maybe you weren't so different yourself."

Jaethe scoffed at the notion. "Oh yeah? And how's that?"

"Oh, I seem to recall a certain young girl who loved this celebration more than anything in the world: the parties, the colorful decorations," she chuckles, "the floating lanterns. You loved chasing them around and around as they bobbed in the air out of your reach. And the look on your face if you caught one." She stepped from beneath the shrine to her daughter's side, resting one hand on her head.

"I was just a girl," Jaethe dismissed in her embarassment.

A smile of maternal warmth beamed down at Jaethe's hunched form. A hand pulled its way through her coarse, wild hair. "A part of you will always be my little girl."

The tired sentinel leaned, resting her head against her mother's thigh as the woman continued. "Seeing you running around back then, laughing like that, what could I do but watch and smile?"
Edited by Shalune on 1/31/2013 5:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Jaethe's voice was soft now. She fidgets with the old stone coin in her hands. "It was different then. I was young and ignorant, and you-" She pauses. "You were a great warrior."

"I still help in my own way."

"But how do forget about it? Everything you've been through: the war, Omen?"

"Oh, I remember Omen: the bad, and the good." Her smile never faded. "I prefer to remember the good. Don't you?"

"It's not that simple."

"No, I guess it's not." The thought sank in. "Sometimes I forget how much you've grown Jaethe." She reached to gently pull back a lock of hair that had fallen over Jaethe's face. "Though I see you still bring that old coin with you."

"It's always with me." Jaethe stopped playing with it. "I remember when you first gave it to me. That's when you told me all about the Lunar Festival."

Her mother nodded, "I didn't mean to spoil the holiday for you."

"No," Jaethe countered quickly, " you didn't. I just didn't know the the real meaning of it, and it's not like dad ever told me."

"Well now, your happiness is no less meaningful." Jaethe's mother chided. "I think he understood that better than I did."

"Mom-"

The woman ignored Jaethe's interruption. "How is your father anyway?"

"He hasn't been to visit?"

"No." Her mother simply shook her head. Noticing Jaethe's furrowed brow, she added, "Oh Jaethe, honey. Don't be upset with him. It's complicated."

"Right."

"Come now, all that matters is that he loves you very much." She watched her daughter, concern crossing her timeless features. "And of course you know I will always be here for you, no matter what." After a pause she gave Jaethe's chin a gentle tug upwards. "You know that right?"

The weathered sentinel could not help a soft smile at her mother. "Of course."

Still leaning against her mother, Jaethe held the hand resting gently on the side of her face. For a long time the two enjoyed each other's presence in silence, watching the waves on the lake.

"Mom."

"Yes?"

Jaethe stared into the thick, ancient coin. She felt over its rough, chipped surface with both hands.

"I miss you."

There was no reply. Jaethe stood alone, and looked over the empty shrine. The wind must have blown out the lantern. She took a minute to light it again, with all the care of a loving daughter, before returning to solemnly watch the shore.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
01/31/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Shalune
I blame this thread for consuming my weekend (unusual weekly schedule.) My entry is below in 2 parts due to length. If I should win anything out of this I request it be split evenly and sent to Roulette and Lotuslily in recognition of their contributions to the RP community.

Thank you, and that is very generous of your request!
Reply Quote
Don't be shy folks, now's a great time to show off your writing! :3
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Bump!

I am continually amazed by the amount of amazing and generous people there are on this server. You all rock.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]