Shifting Problems? (Seeking advice)

Greetings all and salutations.

The reason I'm making this thread is it has come to my attention since 5.0 and beyond maybe that there have been some shape-shifting issues like being un-able to shift out of flight form into caster/bear/cat/moonkin/etc. you get the point, any other form.

I was curious if any other Druids are experiencing similair issues or if it is just myself? I've done a few personal tests myself and it has occured with a clean user interface that Blizzard starts us off with, or with whatever custom add-ons we use.

For myself the shifting problems occur at random after several hours of play, but I have noticed that when it happens for me, there is a half a second delay when I press or click on the ability or form I wish to shift into then it gets me in there and hiccups and wont let me shift out unless I go in doors or click Incarnation.

My add-ons below are:
AtlasLoot Enhanced
Bagnon
Bartender4
MyRolePlay
Prat 3.0 (May get rid of that chat add-on.)
X-Perl UnitFrames

All of the add-ons are up to date. Any help or those with similair shifting issues are welcome to post here.

Thank you and have a safe and pleasant day and lets keep it civil.
Reply Quote
yes I was wondering if it was a change or bug myself. I have been gone for quite a while and didnt know if they changed anything.
after disabling somthing in the interface i can now instantly pop out of flight form when i hit most spells but,
I have to e on the ground to cast prowl. Prowl also casts catform automaticaly if you are not in cat form, so It used to be very usefull to come in low, out of aggro range, hit prowl, and you drop down in stealth granted you were not high enogh to take fall damage.
now prowl simply will not change you if you are not on the ground.
but everything else seams to be working, but i do get stuck in flight form often.
Clicking flight form often does not cancel the form and i have to right click the buff to cancel the effect. this is particularly annoying when trying to get in just the right spot for one of those node spawns that are half way between a rock and a wall.
also I have had on a few occasions, shift flight form as soon as i land from the WR and get stuck with no buff. I cannot right click the buff to cancel because it is not there, and i cannot get out of flight form by casting, bear, cat, motw, or anything else. I am forced to log out and relog, then i will have my buff, and can now shift.
I have reported that particular bug to blizzard, but have not recived any feedback, so i guess they dont care that they broke somthing.

and i am not useing any addons at all. this is a new pc, and i just started playing again and have not installed any. infact, i havnt even bothered to look to see whats out there or were to get them.

the big one for me is the not being able to cast prowl unless on the ground. if i am fast enogh i can shift into cat, then prowl while in the air, so it would make sence to beable to cast prowl in flight form a few feet up sence it auto casts catform. its got to be a bug.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You can't shapeshift while in flight form unless you cancel the buff or unshift first. Think of shapeshifting as an ability when it comes to flying mounts. If you're a healer you can't cast a heal in air, but if your mount is on the ground and you cast it, it will dismount you and cast the heal.

So, unless you're on the ground...you can't straight shift from Flight form to Feral form without first cancelling Flight form while in mid air.

Otherwise, I've never had a problem and if you do, it's most likely due to latency.
Reply Quote
If latency is an issue then why does it occur so often and at random intervals? I can understand not being able to use most abilities while flying as a bird but the problem has occured even before I got flight form in Southern Barrens and CRZ came into play unexpexectedly with half a second milisecond lag and not having Incarnation or the like to shift me out of cat form?

True it does happen mostly in flight form and the solution work arrounds I can find while leveling as Guardian now is use Incarnation if stuck in flight form to clear the affects, run into a closed inn, or simply log out of the game which is annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/29/2013 09:01 AMPosted by Lunasea
If latency is an issue then why does it occur so often and at random intervals?

Because you said random intervals is the only reason I said latency. Latency is effected by pretty much anything. I.E. annoying roommate deciding to stream 1080p youtube videos of whale noises at 2am.

Anything can come into account, especially when you and/or a handful of people are having this problem. I'm putting my bet on your computer/internet though, probably not up to snuff.

The only known bug that quite a few people have is being unable to leave Flight form without logging out (although it's never happened to me).
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 09:13 AMPosted by Lorantum
If latency is an issue then why does it occur so often and at random intervals?

Because you said random intervals is the only reason I said latency. Latency is effected by pretty much anything. I.E. annoying roommate deciding to stream 1080p youtube videos of whale noises at 2am.

Anything can come into account, especially when you and/or a handful of people are having this problem. I'm putting my bet on your computer/internet though, probably not up to snuff.

The only known bug that quite a few people have is being unable to leave Flight form without logging out (although it's never happened to me).

True but like you said. Random which is what I said first. Who is also to say so and sos computer/internet isn't up to snuff, but whatever? lets leave that out of the equation for now. Congrats it hasn't happened to you.

Anywho, the point of this thread was to see if others were having similair experiences or not. Lets carry on with the friendly discussion.

Using Comcast at their 20MB speed and no room mates and no network issues with my router.
Reply Quote
There is a pretty well "documented" issue where if you are changing forms as you are changing zones (ie entering a dungeon, crossing a CRZ boundary), you can get stuck in that form. Is it possible that the "random factor" is that you are crossing a boundary when you get "stuck"?

More often than not when I've gotten stuck, it's been as a cat, because I have a habit of playing "Death from Above" - ie switching forms to cat from flight form, glide falling the last few meters, and hotkeying Savage Roar as a I drop.

(or did, I respecced to Guardian last night...)

I've just about trained myself not to do this into a dungeon entrance any more.

<S>
Reply Quote
You can't shapeshift while in flight form unless you cancel the buff or unshift first. .

umm, wrong.

i can fly up as high as i like, max hight if i want, shift into bear strait from flight, cast a instant heal or anything else instant except prowl, then shift back into flight form if i want befor i hit the ground.
i can shift back and forth between flight and cat or bear while in the air untill i run out of mana. thats not the issue, the issue is geting stuck in flight form and having to relog or fly into a building, and cant cast prowl unless im on the ground. dosnt always happen when leaving zones.
there is a option in the interface that lets you dismount on cast witch works with flight form. works with everything but prowl with out having to cancel form.
I am guessing prowl is bugged in that reguard.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
i can fly up as high as i like, max hight if i want, shift into bear strait from flight, cast a instant heal or anything else instant except prowl, then shift back into flight form if i want befor i hit the ground.
i can shift back and forth between flight and cat or bear while in the air untill i run out of mana. thats not the issue, the issue is geting stuck in flight form and having to relog or fly into a building, and cant cast prowl unless im on the ground. dosnt always happen when leaving zones.
there is a option in the interface that lets you dismount on cast witch works with flight form. works with everything but prowl with out having to cancel form.
I am guessing prowl is bugged in that reguard.

That's the same thing as cancelling the buff, WoW just gives you the option to do it internally rather than have you do it manually, thanks though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I notice it trying to prowl when in flight form. Sometimes I have to go to cat form first and then prowl. I have played for ages with a /cancelform macro though, which I find really useful. My all terrain best form macro is bound to 'R' and my cancelform macro is "Shift-R". This is what I use to jump out of form so this is probably why I dont notice the same issue as you. Seeing as cancelling my shapeshift doesn't incur the GCD I just tap this and then whatever I was trying to do. Playing in Australia has made me get used to all these server lag issues. Particularly with nature's swiftness.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've also noticed some shifting problems. Most of my shifting bugs are generally during solo play - as a restoration druid just starting Heroics, there's not too much shifting going on in an instance. It also usually occurs during times when my latency is 500+ms which, if you're on an Oceanic server like I am, and live in the Australian outback, is most of the time.

The only example I really have is whilst mining last night and the night before, I came across one issue when switching in and out of flight form. It may perhaps be because of an insane amount of lag issues I was having last night, but even during periods where my latency was still around 200ms on my home network and 200ms on the server, I came across the issue. When I would approach a vein, I'd land in flight form and right click on the vein, which would cancel flight form and begin the mining process. However, last night, for about 3-4 hours, I'd come across the message "You are shape-shifted," or something along those lines. I'd have to /cancelform and then mine the vein, where the usual process would cancel form and begin the mining process.

However, that's the only issue I've come across.

In case you're wondering, my AddOns are:
Auctionator
ElvUI
Healbot
Bagnon
AtlasLoot
Reply Quote
could you give me a good macro for that? the one i have dont seam to work anymore

/cancel form
/cast prowl
thats what i used a few years ago when it was screwy
Reply Quote
Glad to hear feedback from others. I guess it is a weird latency spike at times since I live in California connecting to Wyrmrest Acord servers and usually for both ends of home and world latency stays in between 45 range to 60 range. at odd intervals sometimes server will be 15 faster or 15 slower than home latency speed.

Not a big expert on macros but I do have the auto-dismount enabled on settings and
good thing I love leveling as a Guardian Druid. Just annoying to hit Incarnation when stuck in form but such is the draw.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't have any latency issues related to this (I think) but I've definitely gotten stuck in many forms with no way out. I've noticed the actual form buff is *missing* oddly enough. I've had to restart WoW to fix it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Just to counter people who say "unshifting before you prowl is the only way"

I don't. I just hit prowl while in flight and boom, kitty form and prowling.

Typhoon requires me to unshift (with "you can't do that while pacified"), but there is no other spell that has the same effect. I love doing NS+roots/clone on random questing hordies while flying.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I have noticed erratic behavior myself.

I can still do an "aquatic -> surface the water -> jump -> flight form" combo, but I cannot go into cat form, stealthed or not directly from flight form, I must cancel flight form, and either click cat/etc form, or use Prowl in caster form to go into cat and stealth.

It doesn't seem "as designed" but it's not a game-changing bug I think.

I've also noticed that I can use more quest objects in flight form than in Cataclysm, making some quests trivial since I don't have to even fight the mobs on top of the quest item if I can click it fast enough.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Reset auto-unshift back to default and most problems are solved.

/run SetCVar("autoUnshift",1)

Other problems not caused by lag are most likely related to a macro not written properly or conditionals to prevent shifting under specific circumstances.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I've also noticed that I can use more quest objects in flight form than in Cataclysm, making some quests trivial since I don't have to even fight the mobs on top of the quest item if I can click it fast enough.

It's better than that - you can usually interact with quest objects without activating a mob. Just approach the quest object from directly above and stop moving as soon as the interaction mouse cursor appears.

This doesn't work against ranged mobs obviously.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]