Holy Paladin & Healing Addons

90 Gnome Mage
I've finally reached a level where it seems that healing addons would improve my playing as a holy paladin. I've done some reading on forums and it seems tat Vuhdo might be attractive, so I tried that out. The idea of using the mouse to cast spells faster seems amazing, but unfortunately I only have a 2-button mouse. Any tips on what kind of mouse might work well for mouse spell-casting? I haven't started running dungeons with this mod yet because of my lack of mouse buttons, but I was wondering how you deal with stuff like "cleanse" with these addons? I'm guessing there will be some indicator of when it is needed? Also, what kinds of hotkeys are people using for the mouse for holy paladins? Any tips would be appreciated since I'm close to quitting right now due to frustration (and a !@#$ty mouse). Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I use a razor naga and I just started using Vuhdo, (after spending weeks trying out different mods) probably my favorite out of all I tried.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I own a 5-button mouse, but I don't use them all for casting. I used the shift/ctrl/alt buttons in combination with my left and right mouse click. that does just fine for me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Vex
I use a regular 3 button mouse, and I use Vuhdo as well. Just use modifier keys to program your other spells. I tried a Naga once, they are very nice, but too many buttons for me, I prefer to keep it simple.
Edited by Wyntery on 1/29/2013 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I use a 3 button mouse, the scroll wheel acts as a 3rd button, I play one handed using my elbow to press the ctrl key to give me 8 spells with the mouse as I am an amputee. Holy light on the left holy shock on the wheel press, flash of light for the right button. My ctrl action has eternal flame on the left, cleanse on the wheel press, and holy radiance on the right. I also use scroll up/down for hand of sacrifice and hand of salvation. I have a 4th and 5th button on the left side of the mouse that I only use for auto-run. it is a simple setup that has worked for years.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
OP, you say you have a 2 button mouse? Does it lack a scroll wheel? You can do very well just with a regular 3 button mouse (left and right click, and click the scroll wheel for middle). A 5 button mouse is even better, and I got mine for only 10 dollars and it's worked great for a couple years.

I think vuhdo is great, but if you are feeling overwhelmed with setup, healbot is almost the same and works fine without much setup. It might be a better starter addon.

Whether vuhdo or healbot, this is how I've got my spells bound, which is going to be different for every healer. It's not a perfect setup, but just so you can see what one person is doing:

No modifier: left click is FOL (need to change this one), middle is WOG, right is HS
Shift: left is HL, middle is HR, right is DL
Control: left is my tier 9 talent (I macrod them together), middle is SS, right is BOL
Alt: left is HOSal, middle is HOSac, right is HOP

HOF, LOH, and mass rez were on buttons 4 and 5 and I used Decursive to Cleanse. LOD I used the keyboard for because it's not targeted.

Here's why:
Things that are instant cast that I use all the time like HS I bind with no modifier. That way I can strafe/run and click that spell easily. I used to need those FOL instants in cata pvp, which is why it's there.

Shift is next easiest to reach so I use spells I use all the time that have a cast time with shift.

Healbot and vuhdo will let you know someone needs to be Cleansed by the bar changing color. Just bind it like any other spell, like to left click or control left click.

If you find you are out of buttons to bind stuff to, just make sure you bind "Target" as one of your spells, then heal from your bars as you used to for those little used heals. Or, you can make mouse over macros for those. Also, one good thing about vuhdo is that you can bind things to scroll wheel up and down.

Hope I have said something helpful! Good luck :)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
01/28/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Morwin
I've finally reached a level where it seems that healing addons would improve my playing as a holy paladin. I've done some reading on forums and it seems tat Vuhdo might be attractive, so I tried that out. The idea of using the mouse to cast spells faster seems amazing, but unfortunately I only have a 2-button mouse. Any tips on what kind of mouse might work well for mouse spell-casting? I haven't started running dungeons with this mod yet because of my lack of mouse buttons, but I was wondering how you deal with stuff like "cleanse" with these addons? I'm guessing there will be some indicator of when it is needed? Also, what kinds of hotkeys are people using for the mouse for holy paladins? Any tips would be appreciated since I'm close to quitting right now due to frustration (and a !@#$ty mouse). Thanks!

A 2 button mouse will work fine. VuhDo allows for you to set up spells with modifiers (shift, ctrl, shift + ctrl) This essentially gives you 8 buttons on your mouse. Play around with it. I bet for your main spells you'll find it adequate. The rest can just be hotkeyed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I use the naga razer and I use all 5 buttons plus some shift+buttons and vuhdo as well. I barely started healing on my paladin but I have healed with vuhdo for years on my druid, it's the best addon for healing imo.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You don't really need an addon. It's all preference. I've tried every healer add on out there, and I wasn't very impressed. Try them out, you might find a good fit.

Another solution is to make mouseover macros for your heals. It hasn't failed me yet. Plus, I like not having to stress every patch day or worry about updating anything. Lazy? Sure. But so are healing add ons :)
Edited by Vlada on 1/29/2013 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You don't really need an addon. It's all preference. I've tried every healer add on out there, and I wasn't very impressed. Try them out, you might find a good fit.

Another solution is to make mouseover macros for your heals. It hasn't failed me yet. Plus, I like not having to stress every patch day or worry about updating anything. Lazy? Sure. But so are healing add ons :)

I've recently tried healing with the default interface and it's very good. In fact, I'm going back to healbot trying to get it to do what the default interface can do!

I don't think either way is lazy, it's about getting the information you need displayed where you can see it quickly, and about getting your heals off as fast as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Thanks for all the feedback! I went and ordered the naga, but we'll see if I can adapt to all the extra buttons. I have a hard time using alt since its near my windows key and awkwardly located. I also appreciate some tips on hotkeying holy paladin abilities, it seems the most used ones should be regular left and right clicks. I might give healbot a chance then go back to vuhdo when I get more comfortable with all the settings. So decursive is used to automatically cast cleanse when it is needed? And can I use the decursive addon in combination with healbot or vuhdo? Thanks a ton! Once I get the naga I'm thinking of using some of the thumb buttons for heals, and doing something like shift+ a thumb button for some of the CDs. Again, thanks for all the input.
Edited by Morwin on 1/29/2013 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
i've been playing my paladin for a while now as holy and at one point I wanted a ton of addons and over time my philosophy has changed. now, for me, less is more. I wouldn't bog yourself down with a bunch of addons. some people have so many addons they can't realistically interpret every little thing.

I've used vuhdo and grid.. and I would recommend the default wow raid frames with clique. they actually aren't that bad at all and you don't have to worry about them breaking after a patch or ever not being supported. at this point I think the only addons that are really important to me for raiding are clique and DBM. I'm tempted to use weakauras sometimes but don't believe I really need it.

I like logitech mice with 2 buttons on the side. I use shift,alt, ctrl as modifiers and also use the "~". you can use more than just your mouse though... I started using like shift-f/r to mount and stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Morwin
Thanks for all the feedback! I went and ordered the naga, but we'll see if I can adapt to all the extra buttons. I have a hard time using alt since its near my windows key and awkwardly located.

Forget the alt key. I use it and the F-keys (F1, F2, etc) for 1 hour buffs and other "non combat" abilities. Shift is the best modifier for your key stuff; Ctrl for anything less reflex-critical.

I also appreciate some tips on hotkeying holy paladin abilities, it seems the most used ones should be regular left and right clicks. I might give healbot a chance then go back to vuhdo when I get more comfortable with all the settings. So decursive is used to automatically cast cleanse when it is needed? And can I use the decursive addon in combination with healbot or vuhdo? Thanks a ton! Once I get the naga I'm thinking of using some of the thumb buttons for heals, and doing something like shift+ a thumb button for some of the CDs. Again, thanks for all the input.

Just stick with Vuhdo. Bouncing between add-ons won't help. You can get Vuhdo started with a default profile anyway. Decursive won't "auto cast" anything (add-ons can't do this), and a basic Vuhdo setup will cover this anyway (i.e. show debuffs you can remove on the unit frames).

I have left click/right click as FoL and Holy Light. Everything else is bound to the keyboard, and I can just mouseover the Vuhdo frames to cast: Shift + F for Cleanse, Q for Holy Shock, Shift + V/Shift + B for Hand of Prot/Hand of Freedom, etc. Will probably bind a side mouse button to Holy Shock as well, and/or Blessing of Sac (for arena) later on.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have a hard time using alt since its near my windows key and awkwardly located.

PC gaming 101: Get a screwdriver, or something equally as pokey, and pop that POS key out.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Thanks for all the feedback! I went and ordered the naga, but we'll see if I can adapt to all the extra buttons. I have a hard time using alt since its near my windows key and awkwardly located. I also appreciate some tips on hotkeying holy paladin abilities, it seems the most used ones should be regular left and right clicks. I might give healbot a chance then go back to vuhdo when I get more comfortable with all the settings. So decursive is used to automatically cast cleanse when it is needed? And can I use the decursive addon in combination with healbot or vuhdo? Thanks a ton! Once I get the naga I'm thinking of using some of the thumb buttons for heals, and doing something like shift+ a thumb button for some of the CDs. Again, thanks for all the input.

I have had a razer naga for about a month, but I am constantly changing the setup. Since I haven't found a setup I'm happy with, my comments are based on the setup I had before the naga. I will probably ditch decursive when I get the naga under control. Decursive just gave me an extra thing I could left click without a modifier, allowing me to easily run and cleanse.

I've used healbot, vuhdo, and the default frames, and all work very well. Vuhdo is more customizable, and healbot is simpler to use straight out of the box. Yes, vuhdo has a default setup, but I still maintain it is more irritating to get started with. Once set up, all three options are completely satisfactory, imho.

Hotkeys: I use R for bubble, T for HOP, F for trinket. Mousewheel up HOJ's my mouseover or target, and Mousewheel down is either Turn Evil or Repentance of my mouseover or target. Mouse button 5 to mount now, since on the naga Mouse Button 4 and 5 are in a difficult place and I need new binds for the things that used to be there.

BTW, I intend to rebind CapLock to alt, as a possible solution to the alt button issue. I've rebound it to shift before, and was very happy with that.

Best advice I've ever received: Bind one thing at a time in a place that makes sense to you and practice it. All of this stuff we are giving you here is too much to change all at once for most of us. I'm just writing it all down so you can have some ideas of where you might be going in the future. I suggest just starting with healbot and getting your basic heals on that for awhile.

If you want to pst me in game I'll add you and share my macros and stuff.
Edited by Andie on 1/30/2013 12:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Grid is all you need. I've been a raiding holy paladin for close to 8 years and I don't think clicking to heal or mouseover macros have ever been necessary for any level of PvE content. In all honestly though, I do use Clique as well but I only have cleanse and hand spells bound.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/30/2013 12:31 PMPosted by Bionìx
Grid is all you need. I've been a raiding holy paladin for close to 8 years and I don't think clicking to heal or mouseover macros have ever been necessary for any level of PvE content. In all honestly though, I do use Clique as well but I only have cleanse and hand spells bound.

I assume you mean you click to target, and then press a button to heal? If so, it works great for some people. I did it while leveling, and I'm thinking the OP did as well, based on his post. It's not for everyone though.
Edited by Andie on 1/30/2013 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
01/30/2013 04:29 AMPosted by Vlada
I have a hard time using alt since its near my windows key and awkwardly located.

PC gaming 101: Get a screwdriver, or something equally as pokey, and pop that POS key out.

I think they have programs that disable it too, or perhaps a windows setting, however I find that the alt key on most keyboards is in an awkward location: my left hand pinky would have to arch over, or my thumb would have to reach all the way back lol.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
One thing I've noticed is that it seems like the default ui has a delay when my allies take dmg their health bars seem to update slowly, even with a ping of 40 and fps of 100. But this could just be my perception or something I dunno. A part of me would prefer less but I can totally see certain advantages of the mods, like knowing when players go out of range and in what direction, knowing when aoe healing is more beneficial, or having help knowing when to use cleanse. Reaction time seems to be a huge thing that I have to work with... was in a dungeon and this dps was really mean to me blaming me for our group wiping, even though I had gotten cc'd several times from a totem that the dps was supposed to take down... I dunno! He's all like, what do you mean you don't use addon? what a joke? lol
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
also the razer mmo keyboard looks awesome, but since I just spent money on a naga i'm not going to get both
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]