Do not bubble! .... wait.. what?!?!?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So, earlier today I was running a dungeon with an obvious.... Can't even say it on here... But, he was telling me not to bubble, as I lose threat... All I was doing was using divine shield on bad pulls, and using the 30 second absorb, forgot the name lol.

The guy was teling me not to, as I lose threat when I do, and he was the onlyone getting killed. Do I lose threat when using those skills?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mobs will not attack you if you're bubbled, meaning they go onto the dps and healer. You never bubble as a tank unless you're using a macro to bubble and instantly cancel it to remove a specific debuff. If you bubble and leave it on, you're basically just killing your group.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, divine shield causes you to drop all threat. The dps in question was probably 2nd on threat before you bubbled, and so all aggro went to him.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
He was usually top dos, and then went onto badger the healer to give him an item that the healer won.

But, divineshield, unless I am reading it wrong, the tool tip doesn't say it causes you to lose aggro, so why would all threat be lost, and what's the point in having an active skull to reduce damage as tank, that causes you to drop aggro?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You're immune to damage so they attack those that aren't immune.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/28/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Arollan
But, divineshield, unless I am reading it wrong, the tool tip doesn't say it causes you to lose aggro, so why would all threat be lost, and what's the point in having an active skull to reduce damage as tank, that causes you to drop aggro?

Try paying attention when you use it. The mobs beating on the dps or healer is not them pulling threat off you, it's you dumping threat onto them.

Whenever a character is immune from damage, mob threat shifts to the next highest threat on the table. Tooltips won't tell you everything.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ah, ok, thank you. I just wont use it then, only if the healer pulls aggro. Thank you. I never used it until then because it felt useless.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
At level 82 you learn this. Wow.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Paladin
01/28/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Palastorm
At level 82 you learn this. Wow.

Don't be rude. He's probably just a bit new to tanking. I never even had Ret spec on my Pally until I was 85 and 3/4 of the way through Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
01/28/2013 05:05 PMPosted by Arollan
Ah, ok, thank you. I just wont use it then, only if the healer pulls aggro. Thank you. I never used it until then because it felt useless.

Don't simply not use it, just learn to use it appropriately for tanking. Bubble can be used to remove certain debuffs that may not be dispellable, for instance - or for dispelling things that a healer can't get to, like mass fears (do this all the time on Sha of Fear in LFR as Ret). It's best to have a /cancelaura macro to use with it, though:
#showtooltip
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield
One press effectively bubbles you, a second press cancels it - this way, while solo, you can still bubble as necessary without having a separate keybind.
Edited by Grôgnárd on 1/28/2013 5:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
what's the point in having an active skull to reduce damage as tank, that causes you to drop aggro?

It's a class skill, and there are two other specs in the class.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes, bubbling in any form (Divine Shield or Hand of Protection) will basically instantly drop all threat. The tooltip doesn't need to say it drops threat, it normally assumed since the enemies can't attack you at all in any way, they'll attack the next person who has larger threat, or will just randomly run and attack someone. Normally once you pop it the healer will quickly grab all threat on any random enemies, and a good DPS will also grab threat.

Only time you use your bubble is like someone said, to remove something awful that can't be dispelled, and only then you immedietly cancel you're bubble, either with a macro or by right clicking it's buff icon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
/cast Divine Shield
/cast Hand of Reckoning

:D
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Divine Shield is a virtual aggro drop, not an actual one. I'm just saying this because you don't actually lose any aggro when you Divine Shield, it's just that monsters do not attack players who are immune to damage unless there are no other targets available.

But you can still use Sacred Shield, Divine Protection, Guardian of Ancient Kings, etc.. None of those grant total immunity, so it won't make monsters choose a different target.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Don't simply not use it, just learn to use it appropriately for tanking. Bubble can be used to remove certain debuffs that may not be dispellable, for instance - or for dispelling things that a healer can't get to, like mass fears (do this all the time on Sha of Fear in LFR as Ret). It's best to have a /cancelaura macro to use with it, though:

#showtooltip
/cast Divine Shield

One press effectively bubbles you, a second press cancels it - this way, while solo, you can still bubble as necessary without having a separate keybind.

^

Do this, Divine Shield is still an effective tool to a Prot Paladin, you just have to use it properly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You can always taunt right after bubbling. Mob will fixate on you for the duration of taunt, which I think is about 4-6 seconds. Good way to save your life when you've got nothing left and not kill your group members. But you'll want to click it off after the fixate ends, or you're back to groupacide.

I do it in raids as Ret, and tell everyone in vent how bad@ss I am. Yes, I actually do this. Both of the things I just said.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My Bubble macro is:

#showtooltip
/use Divine Shield
/e sings, "My Bubble's so Bright, I got to wear Shades! I got to wear Shades!"
/lol

Of course that marco does nothing for the OP, but no one really gives me issues over popping it, either. : )

SJ
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/28/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Arollan
and what's the point in having an active skull to reduce damage as tank, that causes you to drop aggro?

There are plenty of other defensive abilities that you can use to reduce damage while you are tanking in five mans and even raids. Most of the time its best to avoid using Divine Shield or Hand of Protection(on yourself) unless like previous posters on this thread have said and you need it to remove debuffs that healers can't cleanse. Here are some of the other defensive cooldowns you could use instead:

Argent Defender
Devotion Aura
Divine Protection with Glyph of Divine Protection
Sacred Shield(if you spec into it)

Divine Shield should only be used without cancel aura if you really DO want to wipe your group. Like in the event that they are being arseholes and you really don't want to run with them any longer. In this case you should use Glyph of the Righteous Retreat along with it. But what kind of prot pally would do that sort of thing? 0.o muahahehaheha.... MUAHAHAHEHAHEHA!!!
Edited by Mahvet on 1/29/2013 8:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Divine Shield does exactly what they are saying. Divine Protection on the other hand is different. That one is a major tank cooldown, preventing 40% magical damage (20% magic, 20% physical, glyphed).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

#showtooltip
/cast Divine Shield

^

Do this, Divine Shield is still an effective tool to a Prot Paladin, you just have to use it properly.

So wait.... Divine Shield can be used to dispell Mass fears? I thought when you where feared, you couldn't do anything though?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]