Do not bubble! .... wait.. what?!?!?

90 Dwarf Paladin
Yes, and no; a lot of it depends on fight mechanics and how Blizz chooses to code things. On Sha of Fear, and Tsulong, you can bubble out of the fear; on Sha, I usually have CDs running first fear, so I double click to kill the fear and cancel my bubble without gutting my burst. Simple, effective.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

^

Do this, Divine Shield is still an effective tool to a Prot Paladin, you just have to use it properly.

So wait.... Divine Shield can be used to dispell Mass fears? I thought when you where feared, you couldn't do anything though?

Not so. There are several class abilities that can be used while feared (and to cancel fear). We have Devine Shield/Hand of Protection. Hunters have Bestial Wrath. So on, so forth...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ah, ok then. I'll be sure to do that when I am feared then so I can get the mobs back together.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You can cast Divine Shield under all kinds of awful debuffs. Look at your bars during a loss-of-control effect, and you will often see Divine Shield is the only one lit up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pretty much the only thing that will prevent you from using Divine Shield is if the holy tree gets locked out (i.e. if you get interrupted while casting a heal). You can Divine Shield out of silences, stuns, fears, incapacitates, polymorphs, etc.
Reply Quote
Back in Cata, I would test my prowess by Bubbling, Taunting the boss, then using Righteous Defense to have the boss's aggro the entire duration of the bubble.

Using Divine Shield optimally is key here for Prot Paladins. One thing is you should definitely carry a macro to cancel it when necessary. If you want to take the advantage of it for a couple of seconds, do this:

- Bubble
- Taunt
- After ~3-4 seconds, drop the bubble

I'm not sure if the horn would allow the boss to fixate on you, so don't quote me on that one.

Also really fun - if a PuG pisses you off, pull the boss and Bubblehearth. XD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks to the new "AMG YOU BE CC'D, BRO" UI changes, you should be able to see what abilities you can use while in said CC. Pay attention to your bars.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
There's actually something I've been wondering, but I've been a tad embarrassed for not knowing. I mean, the answer seems obvious, but I always felt it too risky to experiment.

Bosses that fixate, such as Gara'jal and Sha of Fear... If I pop Divine Shield and leave it on, they won't flip out and HULK SMASH the raid, right? Sha isn't gonna start spamming Reaching Attack if I bubble and laugh at his pitiful attempts at hurting me. That's what I figure but I've always been too paranoid to try in situations like that.

I'm not sure if the horn would allow the boss to fixate on you, so don't quote me on that one.

I wish the horn actually taunted, but it turns out it just aggros stuff. Like a giant face pull.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You can BoP the tank in Gara'jal, but I'm not too sure if that would include bubble, I would imagine so, as they are pretty similar in terms of what they do.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You can use bubble as a tank IF you can quickly cancel it. I do this sometimes when the heat becomes too intense. Make a macro that looks like :

#showtooltip
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield

If you click/hit it once, it'll bubble you, hit it again immediately to cancel it and follow up with a holy wrath or something to regain threat. I've done this many times but you MUST attack right away before the mobs run off and kill someone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When you're tanking one dog in Stone Guards and an Overload is about to go off that shouldn't, you can taunt the dog you're tanking, bubble right before the Overload happens, then drop the bubble once the Overload goes off, but before the taunt wears off. Even if the right one Overloads at about the same time as a wrong one, your taunt should be coming off cooldown right as the next dog begins to cast Petrification.

If you use it right, it can save your life and your healer's mana.

01/30/2013 12:50 PMPosted by Inares
You can BoP the tank in Gara'jal, but I'm not too sure if that would include bubble, I would imagine so, as they are pretty similar in terms of what they do.

It works in LFR, and I don't see a reason to believe it wouldn't in normal and heroic. A fixate means that it doesn't matter what your level of threat is, the boss will attack you until either the fixate ends or a new one overwrites it. The bubble doesn't make it impossible to attack you, it just makes it so those attacks don't do anything.
Edited by Arriay on 1/31/2013 5:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/31/2013 05:27 PMPosted by Arriay
It works in LFR, and I don't see a reason to believe it wouldn't in normal and heroic. A fixate means that it doesn't matter what your level of threat is, the boss will attack you until either the fixate ends or a new one overwrites it. The bubble doesn't make it impossible to attack you, it just makes it so those attacks don't do anything.

Fixate is based on Voodoo Dolls. Wasn't sure if a full immunity with spell removal would remove the debuff or not, thus wasn't 100% sure on it, whereas HoP is only physical and doesn't remove magical based abilities, that was my only concern. If you're saying it works, all the better. :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Just tested it and this macro works:

#showtooltip Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Reckoning

One click will pop your bubble and taunt simultaneously. Another click cancels the bubble. Wait until the fixation effect from the taunt wears off before you cancel the bubble though. That should solve your "OH MAH FAPPIN GAD! DON'T BUBBLE!!!" problem.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
[quote]

So wait.... Divine Shield can be used to dispell Mass fears? I thought when you where feared, you couldn't do anything though?

You can trinket (PVP) or you can Shield yourself. Both will break fears/stuns/silences/loss of control effects.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
He was usually top dos, and then went onto badger the healer to give him an item that the healer won.

But, divineshield, unless I am reading it wrong, the tool tip doesn't say it causes you to lose aggro, so why would all threat be lost, and what's the point in having an active skull to reduce damage as tank, that causes you to drop aggro?

No offense but how do you not know that it causes loss of aggro after hitting lvl 90? Okay I am sounding mean on this but let me put it out, if you are immune to whatever the mobs can do, they will target someone else to attack. It's kind of like in ZF when they turn you into a frog all the mobs go after the other people.

Might I ask, how did you get to level 90 on your paladin without noticing certain things? If you become feared, stunned etc, certain abilities that break that can be used, they will still be lit up like normal, while the abils u cannot use will be shaded.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
No need to necro a post.

No need to insult the OP.

He simply asked a question, and came with good intentions. He might be new to tanking, no need to insult his intelligence.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I bet the item he wanted from the healer was a DPS item.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]