Cooking 1-525, what's the point?

90 Troll Warrior
Since pandarian cooking has been introduced, you can level cooking from 1-525 in 10 minutes by just standing next to a vendor who sells just about all the materials for all the recipes she trains you in. I would like to know what the thinking was behind this. I do not see how this benefits Blizzard or the players in any way.

By making the first 525 levels take 10 minutes, Blizzard has effectively removed hours of time that it used to take to level up cooking, thus giving crafters less to do. How is this a good move in a subscription based game where you want people to take longer to do things? Why not just remove the first 525 levels if this is what they wanted? It makes the entire profession feel pointless if I just click a vendor for 10 minutes to gain hundreds of cooking levels.

Why not do the same thing for other professions too? Want to level Jewelcrafting? Just make a vendor that sells gems of all qualities so I don't actually have to put any effort into leveling. It's just one step closer until we all just pay a vendor 100g to be max level all professions.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Because alts.

/thread
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Prior to Mists, most players leveled cooking on their first character and that was about it. They rarely bothered leveling the profession on secondary characters while leveling. Only when they got bored in the final tier of the expansion or switched mains, would they consider leveling cooking on another character, so pre-end game content was already mostly pointless.

As such, they already sort of eliminated the need to level cooking thanks to the thanksgiving cooking dailies. You can easily hit 450+ with them and all of the veterans already know about it. The Mists cooking skill-ups don't prevent you from leveling cooking as you level, which is the only time the food is useful, they simply make it easier to power level the profession at 90.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
So why don't they do this with every profession, or at least secondary profession? This is kind of the point, that you leveled it when you were bored and wanted something to do. How does it benefit Blizzard to have people skip hours of leveling? So they can stand in town more?

I understand speeding things up, and I don't have an issue with that. But it's seems like a bit much in this case. Why bother having levels at all? If this is what they want then they could just make you pay 1 time and be level 600.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
As someone with a family and a 80 hour work week, I find this post highly offensive.

I don't have the time to put effort into this game. I like speed leveling all 11 of my characters in secondary trades.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Besides, tried leveling any/all the ways? that will slow you waaay down.

You can also still go to the cities and some reps to get the older recipes. Get a couple achieves that way too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
01/29/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Agronatek
By making the first 525 levels take 10 minutes
It takes 35 minutes to go from 1 to 525 using this method, assuming you have the mats that you can't buy from the vendor in front of you.

Pointless exaggeration is pointless.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
It takes 35 minutes to go from 1 to 525 using this method, assuming you have the mats that you can't buy from the vendor in front of you.

As a father of 9 who works 80 hours a week, I find this highly offensive.

The 35 minutes I spent on my 11 character's secondary professions should of been 10 minutes long. Who has time to level cooking anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Oh sorry, 35 minutes. The point is that it shouldn't take less than an hour to get over 500 skill levels. Besides, that 35 minutes is spent just clicking recipes and selecting "Create all". It's not exactly engaging stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Most people will have leveled cooking on a character already. 525 is entry level to Panderia. So they added in a way for people to catch up if they haven't leveled already. Nothing preventing you from doing it the old fashioned way and since cooking benefits every character equally, it doesn't hurt you if someone levels it fast or slow. Previously if you want to level cooking quickly, you simply waited until the Thanksgiving event when you could do the same thing.

Fishing has the same concept... Grind it once on a character and then you can buy books from Nat Pagle to level it on every other. Professions shouldn't be a grind or a chore in the game.
Reply Quote
10 Human Mage
R.I.P the days when fishing and cooking were semi unique skills because only a few of us had the patience.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
With all of the changes to cooking in Mists, I'm sure they wanted to make cooking accessible for those who didn't level it up on their main, or any of their alts. Knowing Blizzard and their thought process, I'm sure they felt that leveling cooking the old way was just too burdensome to realistically expect players to go through to reach the point of usefulness.

They already have changed fishing quite drastically by allowing anyone with a level 1 skill successfully fish from pools. It's not quite the same as power leveling to 525 in one short sitting, but it does make it accessible to those that are interested in it, but didn't want to go through the hours of grinding to get to the point where the profession is useful.

I would argue that first aid has always been accessible simply because you have always been able to easily purchase all of the cloth needed from the Ah, and grind it out to max level in one short sitting.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

As a father of 9 who works 80 hours a week, I find this highly offensive.

The 35 minutes I spent on my 11 character's secondary professions should of been 10 minutes long. Who has time to level cooking anyways.

I find your lack of grammar...disturbing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
So why don't they do this with every profession, or at least secondary profession?

Looks like they might be doing this with blacksmithing, according to notes up on MMO-Champion, today. Or at least give us an option for leveling through difficult or expensive ranges.

Smiths will get a "Training Project" recipe that takes ghost iron bars as a reagent, and "automatically changes to a training recipe appropriate to your skill level, up to 500 skill."
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
I'm split on this one. On one hand I agree that it is taking the easy way out to let someone just sit there and buy the mats to level up. On the other hand, is it better to make us grind out all the mats and recipes to make tons of useless stuff that nobody needs just to level it? I have an entire guild bank tab on my banker alt's guild bank full of all the low level engineering stuff I made that nobody needs, yet I don't have the heart to just sell it as vendor trash. Lots of time and investment for stuff nobody uses.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think you may be underestimating just how insane it's become to level Cooking the conventional way.

1. Don't expect to find any mats on the AH. No one bothers to sell them because old food is generally worthless. Sure, you can find some stray listings from folks who don't know what they're selling, but that's about it. You have to farm (and fish) pretty much all your mats.

2. Prepare yourself for a lot of fishing. If you don't want to fish, you need to do a quest in Silithus to hit 300 (some holiday items and world drops can avoid this). A relatively slow, low drop rate quest.

3. Northern Spices. Midway through WotLK, you'll run into a brick wall because you need Northern Spices - which are the results of Northrend cooking dailies.

4. Epicurean tokens. Once you've struggled through WotLK, you hit the brick wall of Cataclysm cooking: the dailies required to buy the recipes you'll need to level.

Cooking isn't impossible to level. But it's much, much more difficult than any other trade skill. Not because it was designed to be a challenge, but due to the problems that arise from crossing multiple expansions.

For people who leveled their Cooking as the expansions came out, it was pretty easy. For someone starting the game now, it's brutally hard in the absence of some shortcut like the Pandaren 1 - 525 mechanic.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
in general i agree with the OP but i think blizzard was concerned that people would just not bother with cooking if they didn't do something like this and they would never see the new stuff. Since there is personal stat benefits to primary professions as well as good sources of gold that really isn't much of a risk of that
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It would appear that, within Blizzard, there is a strong current of dissatisfaction with the first 85 levels, and they would do away with them if only they could. Raising your cooking is now trivial. Fishing is trivial as well, since you can get the best fish from pools with a skill of 1.

I find it disheartening that the people in charge of the world's biggest MMORPG are so hostile toward the RPG aspect of the game.
Reply Quote
87 Human Mage
Can someone explain this to me?

I just resubbed literally yesterday and this could be a huge boon for me.

( like everything, where this is, what i need, how much gold i'll need, everything. )
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]