Paladin Tanks?

88 Human Paladin
Hey guys, I was just looking for some feedback on how good paladin tanks are for end game raiding. Are they any better than other tanks or should I simply look to stay holy and find a MT for my guild? I'm just curious on you guy's feedback.
Reply Quote
I’m wondering this myself. I’m dual-leveling a DK blood spec and this pally (leveled as Prot until Pandaria, then had to go Ret most of the time).

It seems to me that my DK is just … better … at surviving the big pulls and the elite mobs. When I go into old instances, my DK survivability seems to be better, and she has a TON more HP with not-as-good-gear (DK is 86, Pally is 88).

Would doubt DKs are *that* much better as my experience shows, so I’m betting that I am missing something.

So…yeah. Again, I’m interested to hear the response to this also. :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
All tanks are pretty similar form my experience, but I find pallies to be easier than DKs.

Play what you like the most. You're not limited by which tanks are good or bad.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
End game we are less wanted on most fights because most of our defensives are magic based and many encounters mainly just smash your face in. brewmasters are the worst off right now but warrior and dk are far better choice for end game progression.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/28/2013 10:08 PMPosted by Drinkadin
End game we are less wanted on most fights because most of our defensives are magic based and many encounters mainly just smash your face in.

This isn't even remotely true.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
All tanks are reasonably close for end game content, you can't really go wrong...

Paladin tanks are real solid though, they have some of the best utility out of all tanks (hand spells, healing)

You ever see a tank top DPS and Healing meters at the same time? Paladins can do that on certain fights.

Dmg is just lower than other tank classes without vengeance
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
01/28/2013 10:08 PMPosted by Drinkadin
End game we are less wanted on most fights because most of our defensives are magic based and many encounters mainly just smash your face in. brewmasters are the worst off right now but warrior and dk are far better choice for end game progression.

End game we are less wanted?
I can't think of a fight where paladins aren't a solid choice. Same can be said for all the other tanks except monks.

Magic based? what are you talking about?
We have 1 cooldown that is exclusively for magic dmg and it can be glyphed to become more of a physical cooldown.

Encounters smash your face in?
You know shield of the righteous blocks like 40-50% (depends on mastery levels) physical dmg right? And a dencent tank should be able to keep it up AT LEAST 30% of the time. Not even considering we have the most dmg reduction cooldowns .... or self healing through WoG or a glyphed seal of insight.

LFR superstars should refrain from giving horrible advice....
Edited by Kaezar on 1/29/2013 1:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
In MoP, I've noticed a lot less warrior and druid tanks. It seems that paladins and death knights are the tanks of choice. This seems true on my server anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think I've seen 4 guardian druids since MoP launched :o
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2013 03:07 AMPosted by Vlada

I can beat that, I've seen exactly one (raidwise I mean, mind you), and he normally main specs a healer.

Though that's probably just a mark of how dead our server is. <.<
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I was a hardcore feral until MoP hit.

"Active mitigation" meant a self heal or extra dodge. Yawn.

edit:

THEN I saw paladins toolset.

-Got a DPS who strung some lucky crits and really nailed their opening rotation and got ahead of you on threat? Hand of Salvation to catch up.
-Healer pulled threat on some adds you couldn't scoop up immediately? Blessing of Protection.
-Offtank undergeared or is a brewmaster who doesn't know how to stagger/shuffle? Bam, Hand of Sacrifice.
-Raidwide magic damage? Devotion Aura.

Lots of abilities to help smooth out raid wrinkles, great healing to those around you with Battle Healer glyph + Seal of Insight, 3 of the most interesting level 90 talents (in my opinion), WINGS!

Yeah, I'm hand-down and converted paladin tank. Ret as offspec, meh, but it gets the dailies done.
Edited by Kaskarum on 1/29/2013 7:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Our other tank is a paladin, so I can assure you they're quite good for endgame. Having said that, you really have to use all their abilities to make them worthwhile. If you don't utilize sacred shield, hands, lvl 90 talents, cds, and battle healer then you will find then weaker than other tanks. Learn to use all these things and you'll wonder why you hadn't brought a paladin before.

The bonus of dks is the opposite. You can just go through your normal rotation and be about 75% effective, which will still get you through most normal mode encounters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i hated my paladin tank in Cataclysm. i could never get the stats right. took too much dmg, and such, but in MoP we Paladins are the bomb. being Top DPS and Top HEALS in the same fight on some raid bosses is just great. if u reforge ur gear following something from a website such as askmrrobot.com or some other one, u should be ok, just make sure to use all of ur abilitys. that is key.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Blood DK/Prot Pally is the best tanking combo atm. Individually Prot Pallies are currently the top tank at the moment. Great raid healing, enormous utility, good self healing, raid magic dmg reduction, and with enough haste, great dps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2013 06:37 AMPosted by Jackishi

I can beat that, I've seen exactly one (raidwise I mean, mind you), and he normally main specs a healer.

Though that's probably just a mark of how dead our server is. <.<

If I leave out LFR and LFD, I'm down to one. So glad he's not squishy anymore <_<
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]