Choosing the right pc

100 Tauren Druid
Personally I'd get a different brand of 7850 than PowerColor, such as ASUS, HIS, Sapphire, Gigabyte, or MSI.

You also need to add a powersupply.

Besides that, everything looks good.
Edited by Manik on 2/4/2013 9:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
I have a corsair gaming series 600w psu in my current computer. Which I will be reusing.
Edited by Ramulus on 2/4/2013 9:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I must have missed that earlier. Everything looks good though, although since you aren't overclocking the CPU the after-market cooler isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
02/04/2013 09:17 PMPosted by Manik
I must have missed that earlier. Everything looks good though, although since you aren't overclocking the CPU the after-market cooler isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

Just out of curiousity, why do you recommend against the Power Color gpu?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
It's more or less an off-brand, and the other brands I listed have much better coolers. It's mostly a personal preference though. I'm not entirely sure whether or not they cost much more than the Power Color card though.

Here are a couple of other 7850s around that price range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125451
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161425

This is a good time to be buying 7800/7900 series cards since AMD brought back their Never Settle game bundle. With a 7850 you get Bioshock Infinite and the new Tomb Raider.
Edited by Manik on 2/4/2013 9:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
I just put the order though on newegg right before I posted this. I wonder how long it will take for them to put the money back in my account if I cancel the order.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
As long as they haven't shipped it out yet it should be pretty quick. I don't think they charge you immediately for it either. When I built my PC I think I accidentally added two i3-2120s to my cart (it was some moderately expensive component) and I didn't notice it until half an hour later. I cancelled one of them and it never charged me for it.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161426

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161425

I don't see a huge difference between these two cards. Yet, the second one is $10 more.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The second card has a better cooler. Whether or not that's worth the $10 extra is up to you.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
I'm not overclocking anything in the PC. I think the case came with 3 fans stock....most of the games I play aren't super cutting edge. I'm hoping that means the slightly less expensive card will be okay.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
It should be. The only significant difference I can see between the two cards is the cooler.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
Since no one really answered your question about OEM vs full for your OS, OEM is for system builders i.e. Joe at computer corner or w/e down the street builds and sells computers in his shop. He would put OEM versions of Windows on the computers he builds and any support that the end-user needs would come from Joe. Full versions come with support from Microsoft (which honestly you don't need if you have an alternative method of accessing the internet like a smartphone). Getting the OEM version saves you a nice chunk of change, which you could apply toward your computer if you wanted a slightly better part that was just out of price range.

Build looks nice, is there a particular reason you chose to puta micro ATX board into your mid-tower case? Just curious
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
Since no one really answered your question about OEM vs full for your OS, OEM is for system builders i.e. Joe at computer corner or w/e down the street builds and sells computers in his shop. He would put OEM versions of Windows on the computers he builds and any support that the end-user needs would come from Joe. Full versions come with support from Microsoft (which honestly you don't need if you have an alternative method of accessing the internet like a smartphone). Getting the OEM version saves you a nice chunk of change, which you could apply toward your computer if you wanted a slightly better part that was just out of price range.

Build looks nice, is there a particular reason you chose to puta micro ATX board into your mid-tower case? Just curious

This is my first computer build and I don't know too much about cases sizes or motherboard sizes. After reading the computer compendium that's on this forum, I chose a motherboard that seemed to have all of the options I wanted at a reasonable price. I bought the case because it was well reviewed and has a lot of cable management options. Plus, I like how the case looks and it was under $100.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin

This is my first computer build and I don't know too much about cases sizes or motherboard sizes. After reading the computer compendium that's on this forum, I chose a motherboard that seemed to have all of the options I wanted at a reasonable price. I bought the case because it was well reviewed and has a lot of cable management options. Plus, I like how the case looks and it was under $100.

Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out that you chose a mid tower sized case (quite large) and a micro atx board (quite small). Everything should still fit without issue, you'll just have a lot of empty space in the box.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight

Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out that you chose a mid tower sized case (quite large) and a micro atx board (quite small). Everything should still fit without issue, you'll just have a lot of empty space in the box.

That just means more room for future upgrades. :p
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
not quite, the micro atx footprint is smaller than the atx footprint, so less of that right hand side panel is covered by green PCB, but the drives and power supply still occupy the same spaces as with a full atx board. micro atx boards are just smaller to be able to fit into those smaller cases (like those little lan party boxes)

Essentially, you have more space, but you can't really do anything with it other than swap for a larger board without changing cases later on down the line when you upgrade
Edited by Yongsa on 2/6/2013 2:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
My old computer (a Dell Inspiron 570) has a 500 GB hard drive. I wasn't planning on keeping it, but I recently got to thinking. It seems dumb to throw away a perfectly fine hard drive. I assume it's possible to remove the hdd from Dell's case and reuse it in my new one. Perhaps one of the HDDS could solely be for the OS and other essential files, while the other is used for games/music/movies?

This is probably a dumb question, but like I said earlier..I don't know much about these things. I am getting Win 8, so I know I'd have to reformat the old hdd, other than that I don't see why it would cause a problem.
Edited by Ramulus on 2/6/2013 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]