Gallywix

90 Goblin Rogue
Should quit the Horde and go join as a high-ranking member of the Venture Co. It's just the sort of thing he would do, after all (it's not like he has any real loyalty to the Horde anyways).

The Steamwheedle, while on good terms with the Alliance, definitely seem to be on slightly better terms with the Horde, if only because they have far more contracts with them than the Alliance. They can be described as "a little bit crazy, fairly greedy and opportunistic, but generally friendly as well".

The Bilgewater joined the Horde after SI:7 tried to kill them as witnesses to their attempt to kidnap Thrall. Their loyalty to Garrosh seems to be a combination of fear and just being along for the ride. While they possess all those same characteristics as the Steamwheedle, they seem to place a little more emphasis on being crazy (explosions & wacky inventions) and a little less emphasis on being greedy (relatively speaking compared to other goblins, anyways).

The Venture Co., as one Tauren put it, are loyal only to greed. They are evil and will do virtually anything to turn a profit. Say what you will about the other two cartels, they do have their limits as to how far they will go to turn a buck, either that or they have enough foresight to see that stabbing people in the back causes you problems in the long run. Oddly enough, you don't see nearly as many explosives or wacky inventions around the Venture Co. as you do the other two cartels.

Gallywix:
Didn't show any real fondness of explosives.
Was willing to hire South Sea Pirates to attack his own people... twice.
Was willing to rob the food stores for himself, leaving everyone else to starve.
Was willing to enslave his own people.

He definitely sounds more like Venture Co. material than Bilgewater or Steamwheedle. It's not like it would come as any great surprise to anyone if he betrayed them... again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Eh...

Given his backstory, I get the impression that he wouldn't be willing to become subordinate to someone else now that he's on top of his cartel. The only reason he's letting Garrosh be the guy at the top of the Horde's hierarchy was because the alternative was him being killed by the player goblins on the Lost Isles. Even then, it seems like he's given a fair bit of autonomy, and is still at the top of the Bilgewater's corporate command.

That, and he probably knows it's safer to stick with one of the big factions, rather than go with a group that's hostile to both and has the ire of at least one of the other cartels.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
I don't get why he would. He's running his own cartel, he's making money, and from the limited screentime he gets he doesn't seem all that phased by the current situation. Anyway, I think the only thing separating him from the rest of his cartel members is his apathy towards allies.

Morally, they aren't all that different. Megs Dreadshedder enslaved a bunch of ogres in Tanaris to be shipped around Kalimdor to fight for the Horde.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
I don't get why he would. He's running his own cartel, he's making money, and from the limited screentime he gets he doesn't seem all that phased by the current situation. Anyway, I think the only thing separating him from the rest of his cartel members is his apathy towards allies.

Morally, they aren't all that different. Megs Dreadshedder enslaved a bunch of ogres in Tanaris to be shipped around Kalimdor to fight for the Horde.

I was wondering how long it would be before I got a post from our local Alliance fanboy Gandred.

Eh...

Given his backstory, I get the impression that he wouldn't be willing to become subordinate to someone else now that he's on top of his cartel. The only reason he's letting Garrosh be the guy at the top of the Horde's hierarchy was because the alternative was him being killed by the player goblins on the Lost Isles. Even then, it seems like he's given a fair bit of autonomy, and is still at the top of the Bilgewater's corporate command.

Valid points unfortunately. :P
I figure it wouldn't be too hard to write in that he's been scheming for a while now to somehow jump ship and take about 50% of the cartel's savings with him.

01/29/2013 08:22 AMPosted by Marriama
That, and he probably knows it's safer to stick with one of the big factions, rather than go with a group that's hostile to both and has the ire of at least one of the other cartels.

I think he's reckless enough to do that.
Edited by Khass on 1/29/2013 8:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
01/29/2013 08:40 AMPosted by Khass
I was wondering how long it would be before I got a post from our local Alliance fanboy Gandred.

I'm not sure whether to be offended that you dismissed my comments via this statement to avoid addressing your dodgy OP, or amused that I've pissed in your cheerios and still have no idea who you are or why you're relevant.
Reply Quote
Children children, simmer down naw...

I'm hoping he sees Garrosh as the victor in the SoO and decides to side with him. I would love to see a fight where you fight him in his shredder and a bunch of engineered defenses. They could really get creative in this fight. Garrosh I'll admit won't face exile even though I think it would make for a better future storyline, but Gallywix could face it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
While half implied, it is highly likely he will show his face before the SoO rocks around. Turns out he has little faith in Garrosh keeping the Horde afloat financially, and has told his Goblins in Pandaria to make his orders top priority, should they receive them. So yeah, have faith, we will see him this expansion.
Thats a Goblin Guarantee!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
01/29/2013 08:04 AMPosted by Khass
Should quit the Horde and go join as a high-ranking member of the Venture Co. It's just the sort of thing he would do, after all

How so? The Venture Company is a shoestring operation that's constantly harassed by basically every other force in the world.

That's a huge step down from financing the second most powerful war machine on the planet.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
01/29/2013 08:56 AMPosted by Gandred

I'm not sure whether to be offended that you dismissed my comments via this statement to avoid addressing your dodgy OP, or amused that I've pissed in your cheerios and still have no idea who you are or why you're relevant.

I've dismissed your post because it's like ALL your other posts:
"The Alliance have been mistreated and the Horde are completely evil. Wah wah wah."

In other words, I've dismissed your posts because you're incapable of having enough reason to see the two sides of anything related to lore. And that's why YOU'RE not relevant. If I wanted to hear the rantings of a close-minded individual, I'd go to some discussion board where people argue for or against abortion.

The other four posters have, more or less, disagreed with me, but at least they came up with reasons beyond your typical "because the Horde is always evil" garbage.
Reply Quote
Khass you must be new to the Story forums. They are heavily Alliance populated with most of its posters having varying degrees of bias who will each argue till they are blue in the face (no pun intended). Best thing you can do it lay down some ideas and move on before the feeding frenzy comes for your legs.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight

I've dismissed your post because it's like ALL your other posts:
"The Alliance have been mistreated and the Horde are completely evil. Wah wah wah."

In other words, I've dismissed your posts because you're incapable of having enough reason to see the two sides of anything related to lore. And that's why YOU'RE not relevant. If I wanted to hear the rantings of a close-minded individual, I'd go to some discussion board where people argue for or against abortion.

The other four posters have, more or less, disagreed with me, but at least they came up with reasons beyond your typical "because the Horde is always evil" garbage.

"I don't get why he would. He's running his own cartel, he's making money, and from the limited screentime he gets he doesn't seem all that phased by the current situation."

Pretty much what they all posted. He has no reason to join the Venture Co other than what I believe is your want to put a more favourable faction leader up there. I didn't even mention the Alliance, because it's not relevant, and largely I like to stay on topic without pointlessly derailing with flame bait, because I'm not an idiot.

Oh, but I suppose you're feeling a little mad because of this:

"Anyway, I think the only thing separating him from the rest of his cartel members is his apathy towards allies. Morally, they aren't all that different. Megs Dreadshedder enslaved a bunch of ogres in Tanaris to be shipped around Kalimdor to fight for the Horde."

Annoyed that the Bilgewater aren't morally pristine?
Edited by Gandred on 1/29/2013 10:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
01/29/2013 10:32 PMPosted by Searik
Khass you must be new to the Story forums. They are heavily Alliance populated with most of its posters having varying degrees of bias who will each argue till they are blue in the face (no pun intended). Best thing you can do it lay down some ideas and move on before the feeding frenzy comes for your legs.

Or you could, y'know, actually articulate and defend your points rather than running away after saying something under some silly pretense and big bad alliance players not agreeing with you.

Nevermind that Khass' complaint there didn't make any sense in the first place, since Gandred neither called the Horde evil nor even mentioned the Alliance.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 11:29 PMPosted by Leviathan

Or you could, y'know, actually articulate and defend your points rather than running away after saying something under some silly pretense and big bad alliance players not agreeing with you.

Nevermind that Khass' complaint there didn't make any sense in the first place, since Gandred neither called the Horde evil nor even mentioned the Alliance.

Man everyone on this thread is always super cereal...
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
01/30/2013 12:22 AMPosted by Khass
The response was mostly in regard to Gandred's track record, not this particular thread exclusively.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Night Elf thread. Moving on.

If you want to talk about point-by-point:
Many races have used slavery over races they view as more 'brutish' than themselves, Alliance and Horde. And you're gonna victimize ogres of all things? Ogres might be the most-justifiable case of slavery in WoW:
- Ogres tend to rule by intimidation, and more or less a loose form of slavery to whoever has proven themselves to be the strongest until someone kills that guy. Their entire culture is based on being forced to obey someone stronger than themselves.
- Ogres are generally violent and hostile. I don't think anyone in Tanaris is gonna object to having them lose their free will (since that free will would mean "Me smash! You die!").

Let me ask you this: What other races do you see enslaving an ogre clan to fight in their battles for them?

The reason for getting rid of Gallywix isn't a matter of "your want to put a more favourable faction leader up there." It's the fact that hardly anybody wants him in power there to begin with. There was virtually no reasonable explanation as to why he was put back into power beyond the game mechanics' need for a faction leader (which has become pretty moot now anyways).
Thrall, being the big-hearted individual that he is, probably wouldn't execute Gallywix on the spot like many of his people would, he probably wouldn't even leave him banished on the lost islands while everybody else left. He may even be kind enough to not lock Gallywix up upon reaching Kalimindor... but to put him back in a position of power with so many other up-and-coming potential leaders for the Bilgewater? It makes no sense.

And you know what else makes no sense? Gallywix abandoning the cartel that he is leading and making a lot of money from to be a subordinate in a group that is universally hated and fails almost every venture it sets out to complete. You want Gallywix gone? That's a normal reaction to having a leader that wants you dead, but removing him by handing him over the idiot ball isn't doing anything for WCs story.

I'm guessing it's the us-versus-them aspect built into the game mechanics (I'll never get over how often people say "typical Alliance" or "typical Horde" in general chat).

Probably because General Chat contains a fair number of circle-jerk doucheblimps that look for validation in having people agree with them senselessly. On the Story Forum, it's in your best interest to follow Leviathon's advice, and you won't get a thread derailed via your own insults.
Edited by Gandred on 1/30/2013 12:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
How'bout we just off'em instead? And not that its real central to the thread's purpose, but The Venture Company is just that; A company, one link in a greater Cartel. Mogul Razdunk (current leader) is just that, a Mogul. Moguls are the ones who take orders from a Trade Prince and run the numerous companies. It would be a shocking demotion to even be the head hauncho at the venture company. But ya, just garrote the multi-chinned bastard.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
I wonder if this has anything to do with the Night Elf thread. Moving on.

Your track record, from what I've seen, definitely predates that thread. Granted, part of it is because you stand out with your fishy 120 achievement points and your anti-Horde views posted from an unleveling Fosaken Death Knight.

You're splitting hairs and I think you know it. So they have to be Ogres only? Alliance races (especially humans) enslaving other races for various forms of combat don't count?

And you know what else makes no sense? Gallywix abandoning the cartel that he is leading and making a lot of money from to be a subordinate in a group that is universally hated and fails almost every venture it sets out to complete. You want Gallywix gone? That's a normal reaction to having a leader that wants you dead, but removing him by handing him over the idiot ball isn't doing anything for WCs story.

And you completely side-stepped my points made. Though maybe I should be grateful, since if you did address them you'd just split more hairs.

Probably because General Chat contains a fair number of circle-jerk doucheblimps that look for validation in having people agree with them senselessly.

And of course that in no way carries over to the forums.
Edited by Khass on 1/30/2013 9:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
01/30/2013 09:42 AMPosted by Khass
You're splitting hairs and I think you know it. So they have to be Ogres only? Alliance races (especially humans) enslaving other races for various forms of combat don't count?

When have Alliance races ever used slavery for combat purposes?

And you completely side-stepped my points made. Though maybe I should be grateful, since if you did address them you'd just split more hairs.

And you're doing the same thing. You want Gallywix to join the Venture Co, yet you're only providing meta reasons. There's a reason no one agrees with you, it doesn't make sense.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue

When have Alliance races ever used slavery for combat purposes?

Off-hand I can think of three:
Blackmoore used orcs as gladiators.
Lakeshire officials had the player use some kind of a magical stone to mind-control an Ettin to kill gnolls.
A captured Steamwheedle zeppelin captain was forced to use his passenger/transport zeppelin as a bombing run vessel that the Alliance used against pirates.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Khass, are you blind or something? Gandred only stated Gallywix's reasons to be with the Horde and the mentality of Goblins. Then you call him the "local Alliance fanboy"? Some other posters are way more Alliance than him.

And now, to answer your question, Gallywix sides with the Horde because of power. With all the gains of the Horde, why would he leave it? It's becoming more powerful with each battle (or it was).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]