Error 114 - SEA Region - Gathering Data

(Locked)

90 Human Priest
Here are some questions that you guys might want to contact your ISP with:1. What's the closest best DNS servers I should be using?2. Why does my game not work when I use that ISP DNS server and it does with Google DNS?3. What is the difference between your DNS and Google DNS?

Surely a more appropriate question to ask is: Have we made changes at blizzard recently to cause these errors that were not happening previously to start happening.

The ISPs are too various to be the cause unless they all route through a similar path. I have 3 computers connecting and only one will not connect unless I cange the router DNS to the Google one and that one had no issues either until a week ago.

Edit: The computer that required the Google DNS to connect has finally reverted back to connecting without stipulating this DNS, so those that have made the change may want to try taking it out after a day or two and see if the problem has gone away.

Server: Unknown
Address: 10.0.0.1

Non authoritative answer:
Name: us.logon.battle.net
Address: 12.129.206.130

Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Edited by Brugar on 1/30/2013 11:59 PM PST
Update. After logging in under the google DNS and playing it a while, I changed it back to my previous DNS and attempted another login and it let me on. Random!
90 Human Warlock
reformatted my system, which had no issues with wow before format.

i'm now receiving this 114 error

i have done everything suggested in previous posts about this error, resetting my network, i release/renewed and flushed dns on each one of these dns swaps, i have deleted the battle.net caches and attempted to run 32 and 64 bit and both as admin. aswell as running wow.exe and wow64.exe both normally and both as admin.

my isp dns:

Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1

google dns:

comodo secure dns:

Server: ns1.recursive.dns.com
Address: 8.26.56.26

ok so after typing out this post and retrying wow i am now logged in using the comodo secure dns servers, i would recommend anyone having issues to try the comodo dns servers aswell.

as i play other games tho using a foreign dns is not a solution for me, seeing my ping will be horrible on australian servers. step it up bliz lots of good games out now dayz :P
53 Night Elf Druid
just fixed the 114 error on my g/f's freshly formatted pc running win7 64bit, and step-daughters existing install running on win7 32bit... both having 32bit versions of WOW...
they've had ongoing issues for a couple of weeks... both in Adelaide Australia, both have different ISP's (internode & telstra)

followed the instructions at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7709861874

didn't flush dns or change password...

changing the ipv4 DNS didnt make any difference... or so it seemed
but changing the ipv6 DNS or a combination of both fixed both installations, the game has loaded successfully numerous times using the launcher and wow.exe...
i did disable and then enable the network adapters, restarting the pc would do the same...

hope this makes sense, i know absolutely nothing about WOW, except how to fix the dreaded 114 error!

i don't understand why, if the problem is purely ISP related why my other step-daughters old installation still works without having to change DNS settings... seems anyone that formats and/or tries to install a fresh copy of WOW is likely to experience connection issues... there must be something within the game itself or more likely an update that has caused the problems...

cheers...

btw... i had to use my g/f account to post coz just registering at battle.net apparently isn't enough... i had to create an in-game character to be able to post a reply...

edit: also just got it running on my g/f's laptop running win7 64bit...
Edited by Alurar on 1/31/2013 7:45 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
This is the reply I got from my ISP (Internode)

Internode run our own DNS servers (as would all major ISPs) and having read through the page http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7591983147?page=2#24, the issue seems to be appearing on Internode, TPG, iiNet, Optus, AAPT and Dodo (just by that page). I also note that there are people in other countries (Japan) having problems. As Australian and international ISPs use their own resources, and the problem is not isolated to one particular ISP, this suggests that it is not a problem with ISP's DNS'.

Even when switching DNS servers, you will still have the same external IP address. Having read through the forums, switching to Google's DNS appears to have resolved the issue for some (but not all) people.

Ultimately, although we are unable to provide support for this issue as it does not appear to be an Internode issue, I will try and provide you with as much information as I can by answering Dankorii's questions from http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7789659167#16 :

1. It is best to use Internode's DNS servers whilst on your Internode connection. These will resolve to local resolvers. 192.231.203.132 / 192.231.203.3 (http://www.internode.on.net/support/guides/general_settings/#dns)

2. There is an interesting post by "Bluespacecow" which is definitely worth a read: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7789659167#7
By doing some basic troubleshooting, I can tell that Internode's DNS servers have a different A record for us.depot.battle.net (as per Bluespacecow):
> dig us.depot.battle.net
;; ANSWER SECTION:
us.depot.battle.net. 146 IN CNAME wpc.758c.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.att-acdn.net. 1041 IN CNAME gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net.
gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net. 1099 IN A 68.232.45.253

> dig us.depot.battle.net @8.8.8.8
;; ANSWER SECTION:
us.depot.battle.net. 243 IN CNAME wpc.758c.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.att-acdn.net. 7144 IN CNAME wpc.758c.na.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.na.att-acdn.net. 4 IN A 12.120.152.128

This is maybe intentional due to load-balancing or may be unintentional due to configuration or propagation issues. Either way, we do not manually control the A-record that is set in our servers, and it is obtained from the authoritative server. If this is the problem, it needs to be fixed by Blizzard, or the CDN provider.

3. Our DNS servers are located across Australia, and generally perform better than using 3rd party DNS servers, as these 3rd party servers are often located overseas, which means that response times are generally lower. It also means that when using, for example, CDNs, you should be routed to a server closer to you.
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
Dankorii

Would I get in trouble if I translate your post into Japanese?
Support Forum Agent
Alvraen

Would I get in trouble if I translate your post into Japanese?

No, it should be fine.
If you were using the Google DNS workaround, switch back to your original DNS settings. Once that is done try this:

1. Navigate to the World of Warcraft folder and delete the Cache folder.
2. Then go into the Data folder and delete the other Cache folder.
3. Once that is done, do the steps in this support article: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/deleting-the-battlenet-cache-folder-pc?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=support_forums&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS
4. Lastly, you'll want to do a power cycle and DNS flush.

Here's how to power cycle:

1. Turn off all computers on the network
2. Unplug the power from the modem and the router (if applicable)
3. Wait about 1-2 minutes
4. Plug in the modem first and wait for it to completely boot up
5. If there was a router, plug the power back in and wait for it to completely boot up
6. Turn on the computers and try the game out

Here's how to flush the DNS: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ip-release-renew-and-flush-dns

Let me know what happens.
My ISP DNS is :

Server: dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au
Address: 61.9.134.49

and Google DNS :

By the way I am not sure if this has any correlation but I am yet unable to view my character in character profile on here as a message keeps coming up "Oops character not available". It just seems like something is missing and not going through from this end of the planet although I have activated my account after not using it for quite a period of time and nothing is being processed. This might be a coincidence but I have seen that a couple of people have had this same issue while looking through the threads and had the same ISP? and majority (including me) being in Australia. Just abit strange that others had this problem in the US and most of it was resolved, yet I am still stuck on the login page.

p.s Dankorii I just saw your sticky just then thanks so I may have moved away abit from the issue and may have not made sense there haha
Edited by Eclipsz on 1/31/2013 12:19 PM PST
Support Forum Agent
Eclipsz

Which character and realm are you trying to access when you get that message? Are you using the Google DNS when you get the message?
Eclipsz

Which character and realm are you trying to access when you get that message? Are you using the Google DNS when you get the message?

I get the "oops character not available" either way before I set it to google DNS and when I use my default server. I keep getting that message for every character on my account, on the Frostmourne server as well as the Akama server from what I can see. So I can't view any character profile although I recently activated my account.
Support Forum Agent
Eclipsz

OK, let me look into this and see what I can do.
Eclipsz

I sent you an email with some information. Post in this thread once you have read the email and tested your account.
01/31/2013 03:30 AMPosted by Madspoon
using a foreign dns is not a solution for me, seeing my ping will be horrible on australian servers. step it up bliz lots of good games out now dayz :P

[/quote]

It won't increase your pings to servers. It will only increase the latency on requests for non-cached or expired DNS look-ups/entries (i.e. if you haven't visited the site before, or the cache tells you to check again). Once you have the DNS address of the game server, DNS doesn't factor into the latency equation.

PS: The Google DNS servers are multi-homed now anyway and have nodes in Sydney, so this is irrelevant.
85 Undead Mage
Note that many servers have different records for us.depot.battle.net

iiNet (Australia)

~ dig @203.0.178.191 us.depot.battle.net

;; ANSWER SECTION:
us.depot.battle.net. 300 IN CNAME wpc.758c.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.att-acdn.net. 3600 IN CNAME gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net.
gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net. 3543 IN A 68.232.45.253

Google

~ dig @8.8.8.8 us.depot.battle.net

;; ANSWER SECTION:
us.depot.battle.net. 36 IN CNAME wpc.758c.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.att-acdn.net. 866 IN CNAME wpc.758c.na.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.na.att-acdn.net. 27 IN A 12.120.152.128

Comodo (US)

~ dig @8.26.56.26 us.depot.battle.net

;; ANSWER SECTION:
us.depot.battle.net. 74 IN CNAME wpc.758c.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.att-acdn.net. 1781 IN CNAME wpc.758c.na.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.na.att-acdn.net. 5 IN A 12.120.165.128

wpc.758c.att-acdn.net is resolving to a number of different A records, and is probably the result of some load balancing (round robin? geographic?). The root issue may result from one of those end-points being misconfigured, and therefore those DNS resolvers (SE Asia/Oceanic ISP's...) that end up pointed to it cache the wrong record. This results in players being unable to connect.
85 Human Mage
Eclipsz

OK, let me look into this and see what I can do.

Eclipsz

I sent you an email with some information. Post in this thread once you have read the email and tested your account.

Hi Dankorii, I have noticed that when I logged onto this battle.net account, that I can see my mage picture now and its not just a display. Character profile has appeared again and I can view my other characters. I am still getting the error 114 when I enter my username and password at the game login. Battle.net seems to be okay now though. I tried entering any random letter as a password and I still get the exact same error.

I don't know if this has any relation, but I use to have a different email (my original one) which I do not use anymore because I lost the password. Fortunately I was still able to log onto this battle.net account and I changed my email address. I tried my past email address and the one I currently use now for this account and i still get the same error 114. You seemed to have fixed my battle.net profiles and all that. thanks

Just to add, I noticed that you logged onto my account and there was recent activity, yet I tried entering my username and password and still have the same problem error up to this point.
Edited by Eclipsz on 1/31/2013 7:55 PM PST
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
01/31/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Eltariel
It won't increase your pings to servers. It will only increase the latency on requests for non-cached or expired DNS look-ups/entries (i.e. if you haven't visited the site before, or the cache tells you to check again). Once you have the DNS address of the game server, DNS doesn't factor into the latency equation.

Not normally no.

But when I was investigated why switching DNS worked as a workaround for the #3007 error on Diablo 3 I found about us.depot.battle.net . From reports from players by setting it to Google Open DNS it resolved to an IP address in the states thus getting around the #3007 error.

I've also seen reports from players who after switching over to Open DNS were getting increased latency. Leading me to think us.depot.battle.net was doing some form of local caching or something that factors into the latency somehow.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
01/31/2013 03:23 PMPosted by Eltariel
wpc.758c.att-acdn.net is resolving to a number of different A records, and is probably the result of some load balancing (round robin? geographic?). The root issue may result from one of those end-points being misconfigured, and therefore those DNS resolvers (SE Asia/Oceanic ISP's...) that end up pointed to it cache the wrong record. This results in players being unable to connect.

Yeah I agree.

From my experience digging various DNS servers us.logon.battle.net never changes from 12.129.206.130 while us.depot.battle.net does change.

As you've shown the depot server resolves to something different depending on where you are in the world. It's also , strangely enough for a Blizzard server pingable.

Yesterday the #114 error evolved to what that was occurring right after putting the password in to one that was occurring when putting the authenticator value in (I'm calling this variant of the #114 error , #114B). Seems to only happen when I have us.depot.battle.net set to resolve to 68.232.45.253 in my Hosts file. When I have it set it to resolve to 12.120.152.128 in my Hosts file it let's me login.

A little slower then usual and my latency's a little higher once I login but it seems to even out after 5 minutes or so. So far I've used it twice to get past the #114B error. Not sure how complicated making entries in a hosts file is for Windows as I'm on a Mac.
Edited by Bluspacecow on 1/31/2013 7:56 PM PST
MVP - Technical Support
84 Troll Mage
It looks like this problem has nothing to do with DNS (although changing DNS will resolve the problem) and more to do with 68.232.45.253 being misconfigured. It is configured as a depot server, but it doesn't seem to recognize the hostname us.depot.battle.net. I had Bluspacecow give that IP some other hostnames to see what it might actually be configured for, but none of the names I could think of worked. Anyway, this is a job for NetOps at this point. If I knew someone there I'd let them know this myself, but unfortunately my previous contact no longer works there.

How to test if you are affected by this issue:

If the below link says anything but "00 Test successful.", you're connecting to the misconfigured server and need to either change your dns or add a line to your hosts file:
http://us.depot.battle.net:1119/000000test.txt
Edited by Starmaged on 1/31/2013 9:14 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]