Error 114 - SEA Region - Gathering Data

(Locked)

85 Night Elf Hunter
Have tried everything and have had no luck :(, Just came back after a year and a bit of a break and I can't seem to get in..

On another note could this be effecting me being able to access my characters profiles, as I can't and this is the error message I get.

http://vvcap.net/db/qDTA4FsFIfZxd6jANrBd.htp
85 Undead Mage
01/31/2013 08:57 PMPosted by Starmaged
It looks like this problem has nothing to do with DNS (although changing DNS will resolve the problem) and more to do with 68.232.45.253 being misconfigured.

Yep, I agree. The DNS servers having this problem are a symptom, not the root cause. Which is as expected: there's a lot of DNS servers having issues and all the obvious stuff doesn't appear broken.

As touched on by another poster, adding this entry to your hosts file should fix the problem:

12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.net

You can then change your DNS servers back to their defaults, although leaving a Google server as a secondary resolver isn't a bad idea.

Also: on OS X 10.7 and up you'll want to run:
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

On Windows, run:
ipconfig /flushdns
90 Pandaren Hunter
editing the hosts file worked for me, you can remove the line after you log in if you want, It seems to let you log in again if you have done it once before.

How to edit hosts file.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

add the following line to the bottom.
85 Human Mage
OK I think I have found a temporary solution which should work until a solution to this issue has been resolved. From my understanding, it has something to do with the DNS server that some computers are connected to. Dankorii has mentioned the following. There just needs to be a couple of slight changes that need to be typed later on, which should work. I have listed some steps which worked for me below.

Many players from the Southeast Asia region including Japan, Australia, and New Zealand are having difficulties logging in to the North American servers. Some have been able to log on after using an alternate DNS server.

DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

Go [to] the Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.
Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
Click OK.
Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844

Restart the connection you selected [from above].

Firstly, open up command prompt by going to start type cmd under search programs and files. Type ipconfig which will bring up a list of addresses that you will need so don't close Command prompt.

Open Network and sharing centre or you can access this through start, control panel, network and internet and then once into network and sharing centre, click change adapter settings, right click on local area connection and select properties. Highlight internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click properties. Look at both the general and alternate Configuration, keeping in mind of any numbers.. write them down for future reference. If not proceed to USE the following ip address.

Now go back to command prompt, and under ipv4 address, type these numbers in IP address in ipv4 properties, doing the same for Subnet mask and Default Gateway.

Select Use the following DNS server addresses and for preferred DNS server type 8.8.8.8 and for alternate DNS server type 8.8.4.4

Click OK and click OK for the Local Area Connection properties. You can exit command prompt. Enter and log into game which worked for me. From what i know you can go back to these setting and click obtain an ip address automatically and also for Obtain Server address automatically. I still don't know why it works after using a different DNS server and then you can switch back to your original one. Hope this helps.
Edited by Eclipsz on 2/1/2013 2:09 AM PST
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
02/01/2013 02:08 AMPosted by Eclipsz
I still don't know why it works after using a different DNS server and then you can switch back to your original one. Hope this helps.

Possibly because after switching it the correct info gets cached from us.depot.battle.net
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
editing the hosts file worked for me, you can remove the line after you log in if you want, It seems to let you log in again if you have done it once before.

How to edit hosts file.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

add the following line to the bottom.

Ah so it does work for other people :)

I've been testing this a few times on my computer but as I'm on a Mac and am fairly technically minded I didn't know how simple it was to edit the hosts file on Windows. Did you have to flush your DNS cache after ?

One caveat - I've found that information from the depot server appears to be cached. So before making the hosts file change you need to make sure the game is shut down and delete the following Caches :

* Cache folder in wow folder
* Cache folder in Data folder of wow folder
* Battle.net cache at : https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/deleting-the-battlenet-cache-folder-pc
Edited by Bluspacecow on 2/1/2013 4:09 AM PST
85 Night Elf Hunter
Editing the hosts file just worked for me as well, I also deleted both the caches. IM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW thank you to the people above me!
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Just a quick note about editing the Hosts file :

This may make the login process a smidgen slower at first as it caches the new info.

I also experienced slightly higher latency at first. After about 5 minutes of game play it evened out.

Once it's cached things correctly you *should* in theory be able to swap it back to your normal DNS server.
Support Forum Agent
Here are the steps suggested by Bluespacecow compiled into one post:

If clicking on the link below says anything but "00 Test successful.", you're connecting to a misconfigured server and need to add a line to your hosts file in order to connect to the correct server.

http://us.depot.battle.net:1119/000000test.txt

Before editing the hosts file, you will need to clear out some cached data.

Here's how to do that:

1. Navigate to the Worold of Warcraft folder and delete the Cache folder.
2. Navigate to the World of Warcraft/Data folder and delete the Cache folder.
3. Delete the Battle.net Cache.
4. Flush your DNS Cache.

Once that is done, you can go ahead and edit your hosts file.

How to edit hosts file: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

Add the following line to the bottom of your hosts file:

***You are using the line above instead of the "0.0.0.0 www.facebook.com" line used in the How-To Tutorial***
90 Blood Elf Paladin
DSN1:

Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1

Name: us.logon.battle.net
Address: 12.129.206.130

DSN2:
Address: 192.168.0.1

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I did the IP thing in the CMD line, Changed the host file. Deleted cache and nothing seems to work for me :-/
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage

Thank you for posting your instructions Dan.

Can I just add here there's a few other addresses you can use ?

Here's some I found :

Not really essentially to use any of these addresses it's just in case people can't use 12.120.152.128 for some reason or find it too slow to login (do ping tests to find the lowest pingable one).

PS I can't really take credit for this fix tho - there's 3 people in this thread who helped out majorly in this thread. A similar fix was posted on the SC2 forums about 5 days ago.

PPS As of this moment us.depot.battle.net is pingable guys.
Edited by Bluspacecow on 2/1/2013 9:48 PM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
HI I repaired my laptop after 3mth not playing WoW on it but playing main PC with Win 8 . The lappy is running Vista ultimate 64 bit .

Yesterday I updated WoW at home thru home WiFi network I didnt try logging in because I ran out of time , when I went to log in useing my phones WiFi hotspot I got the error#114 , I tried again then got a email on my phone saying Acc locked .

When i got home I could log into WoW on my PC but when I tried the Lappy I got the #114 error .

So : laptop WoW would not login thru phone WiFi Telstra or home WiFi iPrimus .

I am now back on phone WiFi researching this , I have just ,

Edited the host file , which was set as read only ? so I had to change that or it would not save .

Flushed the DNS ,

Deleted the Cache file but not the World of Warcraft/Data folder and delete the Cache folder or the Battlenet folder . as i dont have enough Gb data allowance to DL them again .

I started the desktop Wow exe as Admin entered details and it took about 20 seconds but Login was successful , I hope this lasts .

I hope this helps others working out the problem as I will be going to Win8 soon .
90 Human Hunter
Got the same problem on iMac late 2012 both OSX/Windows. I try everything i can find on the forum but nothing seem to work. I got 2 internet connections and 3 other PC/Notebooks others work fine except this iMac tried on both ISP(1LAN/1Wireless) start to think it might be hardware problem but strangely everything else work fine only the error#114 on world of warcraft.

1st ISP
ISPs dns:
Address: 192.168.1.1

googles dns:

Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

----------------------------------------------------------------
2nd ISP
ISPs dns:
Server: true.true
Address: 192.168.1.1

googles dns:
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

82 Night Elf Hunter
Yay! Changing the host file seems to have worked!
Although now the game tells me i need to buy more game time even though my account is active.
Oh well onto another problem i suppose...
73 Human Paladin
Here are the steps suggested by Bluespacecow compiled into one post:

If clicking on the link below says anything but "00 Test successful.", you're connecting to a misconfigured server and need to add a line to your hosts file in order to connect to the correct server.

http://us.depot.battle.net:1119/000000test.txt

Before editing the hosts file, you will need to clear out some cached data.

Here's how to do that:

1. Navigate to the Worold of Warcraft folder and delete the Cache folder.
2. Navigate to the World of Warcraft/Data folder and delete the Cache folder.
3. Delete the https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/deleting-the-battlenet-cache-folder-pc?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=support_forums&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS" class="bml-link-url2">Battle.net Cache.</a>
4. [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ip-release-renew-and-flush-dns?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=support_forums&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS"]Flush your DNS Cache.[/url]

Once that is done, you can go ahead and edit your hosts file.

How to edit hosts file: <a href="http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

***You are using the line above instead of the "0.0.0.0 www.facebook.com" line used in the How-To Tutorial***

I'm living in Vietnam and having the same problem, but the solution above make my WoW connected to Blizzard server. Now it's done, you guys should try it out!!!

P/S: After changing the "hosts" file and successfully log into WoW, you can restart the machine and then remove the "12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.net" line to make your host file normal again since the connection data has been saved to your cache folder in your WoW directory. And please Blizzard, fix your client issue since the client is lack of connection information to connect to the server when you make a fresh install of WoW to your system and please remember this: your WoW users are not only in US, there are people around the world like Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Brunei, etc... (SEA) so make your client carefully for us to download the fresh installation and set it up
Edited by Artian on 2/2/2013 2:05 AM PST
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
02/01/2013 11:38 PMPosted by Vargr
Edited the host file , which was set as read only ? so I had to change that or it would not save .

As it's in System32 I do believe you have to run Notepad as Admin. Not sure how to do that as I use a Mac.

Deleted the Cache file but not the World of Warcraft/Data folder and delete the Cache folder or the Battlenet folder . as i don’t have enough Gb data allowance to DL them again .

Deleting the Data folder is the last thing you want to do. There is a Cache folder inside the Data folder. That is the folder we are wanting you to delete as it's a Cache folder that gets rebuilt by the client. We don’t want you to have to redownload the game to fix this.

There’s two battle.net folders we could be talking about here. One holds the Agent/Launcher tools , the other is a battle.net cache folder inside a Blizzard/Blizzard Entertainment folder. It isn’t strictly necessary to delete the Agent tools each time and is the larger of the two. It’s the smaller battle.net cache we need you to delete here (IIRC >5MB).

It’s a little confusing as the folder that holds the Agent tools is called “battle.net” and sometimes referred to as the battle.net cache folder erronously.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
02/02/2013 01:54 AMPosted by Artian
And please Blizzard, fix your client issue since the client is lack of connection information to connect to the server when you make a fresh install of WoW to your system and please remember this: your WoW users are not only in US, there are people around the world like Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Brunei, etc... (SEA) so make your client carefully for us to download the fresh installation and set it up

It isn't a lack of connection info or anything to do with a fresh install.

The issue is 68.232.45.253 appears to be misconfigured.

IMHO We don't know enough about how the depot servers work or how they are administrated to really make judgement calls here. That IP address appears to be registered to Edgecast networks but that doesn't say much about who actually owns that server (or if Blizzard rents it) , who manages/runs them and if Blizzard have any active admin control over it.

For all we know 68.232.45.253 could be run by a third party network ops team that Blizzard doesn't have any direct admin control over.
90 Night Elf Hunter
And please Blizzard, fix your client issue since the client is lack of connection information to connect to the server when you make a fresh install of WoW to your system and please remember this: your WoW users are not only in US, there are people around the world like Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Brunei, etc... (SEA) so make your client carefully for us to download the fresh installation and set it up

It isn't a lack of connection info or anything to do with a fresh install.

The issue is 68.232.45.253 appears to be misconfigured.

IMHO We don't know enough about how the depot servers work or how they are administrated to really make judgement calls here. That IP address appears to be registered to Edgecast networks but that doesn't say much about who actually owns that server (or if Blizzard rents it) , who manages/runs them and if Blizzard have any active admin control over it.

For all we know 68.232.45.253 could be run by a third party network ops team that Blizzard doesn't have any direct admin control over.

But shouldn't Blizzard at least check this out and give us some kind of update apart from reposting fixes that simply don't work?

I opened a ticket in Account Management gave them all the information that was asked for and got the same old spiel as what has been posted here, even though I mentioned I had already tried all of the things suggested except for the hosts file fix as I don't feel capable of doing this without someone that knows what they are doing in case I stuff it up.

I did a fresh install twice after I formatted my computer once from disc and again from download.
I tried the DNS lookup thing and it said access denied, so I have no idea what to do next.

I can login on my partner's computer and we both are plugged into the same router, yet he isn't having this issue.
If he tries to login on mine he also gets the same error.
I've had this issue for three weeks and I'm sick of waiting for a proper fix from Blizzard that actually works.

I hope they get it fixed before the 60 day game card I bought and activated runs out.
Edited by Ellysyrian on 2/2/2013 8:32 AM PST
42 Undead Warrior
Still locked out. Is this issue being looked examined at all.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]