What has happened to my class?

85 Tauren Paladin
This was the first toon that I levelled to 70 back when I started in BC. Before that I had a warrior, but kept dying so much that the guy who got me hooked on WoW suggested I try a paladin, so I did. This character was my main all through BC, but an alt during most of Wrath, and then was going to be my main in Cata, but my guildmates levelled faster than I did, started raiding while I was still trying to get my iLvl to minimum, but then they got frustrated at the raids (high difficulty, even on normal mode, and little room for error) and moved on to greener pastures. I moved with them, but then came back for MoP.

I remember starting out this toon, having to set the right auras, have a seal going, buff myself with a blessing, etc. Now, auras are gone replaced by seals, instead of having 5 or 6 blessings (Kings, Might, Sanctuary, Wisdom, etc.) we only have 2 and other classes have the same buffs and can overwrite each other. And the biggest thing I miss is Consecrate as a Ret Paladin. They've made one of the signature Paladin abilities only a Protection spec ability now. I miss my Consecrate and lots of the other things that have been tossed by the wayside with each expansion since BC.

Back to Consecrate, can't they bring this back for all Paladin specs, but just modify what it does based on spec? As a Ret spec, I have no AoE damage abilities anymore (I think) aside from Divine Storm and that takes a ramp-up to be available. For example, in Holy spec, instead of damaging enemies, its a short-range AoE heal. For Protection spec, it works like it used to and damage enemies, but the threat is increased? And for Ret spec, it does double or triple the damage as Prot, but with no increased threat than would normally be generated?

Am I off my rocker?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you stopped at Cata, you'd have found that Consecrate was a terrible ability for Paladins and its only sole virtue was to add a tiny portion of DPS into our rotation as a filler ability. Its ability to unstealth rogues vanished too once they were given more range to their openers

You're right that a lot of what gave Paladins a sense of identity did vanish in the forms of auras and Consecrate going away, yet they gave us some pretty decent tools in compensation. Devotion Aura is an amazing raid cooldown, our Seal usage is actually pretty significant (except in the case of the terrible, terrible Seal of Righteousness), and our rotation's a lot smoother with Holy Power generation. Believe it or not, our AoE's actually pretty decent, too - simply switch off HotR for CS and Divine Storm for Templar's Verdict and you're doing a decent amount of instant damage, moreso if you have the Light's Hammer talent.

As for Consecrate, well. Your suggestions are basically what Light's Hammer is, and it's actually a pretty cool ability. When you hit 90, try it out.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Are you trolling? Consecrate was terrible for ret, it was one of our lowest damaging abilities. Our AoE is pretty !@#$ing amazing too. Put in glyph of exorcism, use lights hammer, and roll your face.

I leveled this paladin at the same time as you. But I can honestly say I don't miss 30 second seals and 5 minute blessings and having to carry around 500 symbols for 1 raid night. Besides, our dps is much better now than it was then. Back then we shouldn't have even been ret because the dps was so bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/29/2013 09:17 AMPosted by Hikoro
But I can honestly say I don't miss 30 second seals and 5 minute blessings and having to carry around 500 symbols for 1 raid night.

OH DEAR GOD WHY WOULD YOU BRING THAT MEMORY BACK WHY?!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
To drive my point home, brother.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The scars only JUST healed. Just.

Offtopic, but this reminds me of when BE Paladins still used Seal of Blood. I used to call it the Emo Seal, as we'd literally cut ourselves for DPS, and on fights like Prince in Karazhan where using Seal of Blood would kill you, for lulz (or on imminent wipes) I'd scream "I CAN'T TAKE BEING YOUR BUFFBOT ANYMORE I WANT OUT" and Avenging Wrath/Judge for epic death sequence.

That, and the fact that it didn't cause durability damage when it killed you. :D
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I miss the 30s Seals; gimme that back, but keep the reagent-less, hour-long Blessings. >_>
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Haha yeah, I remember a few times on malygos getting the damage buffs, i'd be !%*#@###@@ dps with it, then the next thing I know, dead. Like !@#$.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
The scars only JUST healed. Just.

Offtopic, but this reminds me of when BE Paladins still used Seal of Blood. I used to call it the Emo Seal, as we'd literally cut ourselves for DPS, and on fights like Prince in Karazhan where using Seal of Blood would kill you, for lulz (or on imminent wipes) I'd scream "I CAN'T TAKE BEING YOUR BUFFBOT ANYMORE I WANT OUT" and Avenging Wrath/Judge for epic death sequence.

That, and the fact that it didn't cause durability damage when it killed you. :D

I had a funny story running ToC as Holy spec. I don't remember if it was a 25-man or 10-man, but we were on the Twin Val'kyr and on one attempt, most of the group was failing left and right, and it eventually got down to me as healer, one tank and maybe one DPS, but we managed to eek out the win. To emphasize how much I had been healing my !@# off, a few seconds after combat ended, I DI'ed myself, role-playing as if my character had had a massive cardiac arrest or something. I got a laugh from the others in the group on Vent.
Edited by Saintangus on 1/29/2013 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Are you trolling? Consecrate was terrible for ret, it was one of our lowest damaging abilities. Our AoE is pretty !@#$ing amazing too. Put in glyph of exorcism, use lights hammer, and roll your face.

I leveled this paladin at the same time as you. But I can honestly say I don't miss 30 second seals and 5 minute blessings and having to carry around 500 symbols for 1 raid night. Besides, our dps is much better now than it was then. Back then we shouldn't have even been ret because the dps was so bad.

No, I'm seriously not trolling.

What made me miss it was going out to Borean Tundra, right outside Warsong Hold where the packs of rhinos are, farming leather for an alt. I'd find a pack, but have to single-target everything and occasionally (when I had enough Holy Power) pop a Divine Storm and get multiple kills, where if I had Consecrate (and Holy Wrath), I could take down whole packs of rhinos at a time. Doing that just made me miss my Consecrate. It was a button that had always been there from low levels, so I was just used to having it there.

On the other hand, I do agree with you about how short the seals and blessings were and having to haul around reagents for the blessings and occasional DI.

I miss DI too, now that I think of it. It was handy for wipe mitigation ("target a healer and pop DI!" as the group is wiping), but I guess the devs thought it could be inappropriately used more often than what it was used for. Maybe they can bring it back and make it work like a Shaman's self-rez?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Doing that just made me miss my Consecrate. It was a button that had always been there from low levels, so I was just used to having it there.

I do miss it as well, if only just to have some non-targettable AoE besides Divine Storm.

But the scenario you described can be easily done with HotR and Divine Storm. They're still good AoE abilities, despite what the naysayers say, it's just that HotR's damage looks pitiful at first glance.

DI got taken out not because people were using it inappropriately, but because with how complicated fights were getting, DI was causing some weird !@# bugs making it hard to reset fights, so they took it out to save the playerbase grief. And yes, it does suck they didn't bring it back as a self-rez or a Battle rez, seeing as we were the originators of that in WC3. =(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I actually like the idea of consecration being an aoe heal for holy, that would be nice. I spend most of my time up in melee anyways, why not have the ability to drop a consecrate down for some extra heals on dps. Druids have efflorescence, shams have healing rain, it would be nice if we pallies had something cool like that and consecration would be a perfect way to implement it.

I have to say I agree on a whole that Paladins need some love.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 09:48 AMPosted by Grôgnárd
I miss the 30s Seals; gimme that back, but keep the reagent-less, hour-long Blessings. >_>

Just imagine all the Ret QQ.

"WE HAVE TO BALANCE ANOTHER MECHANIC! I DIDN'T ROLL A FERAL KITTY OR ROGUE! NUUUUUUU!"

Anyway, compared to Cata, MoP Ret is really smooth. Its rotation doesn't have too many gaps, we have more HoPo generators (Hammer of Wrath also counts as a HoPo generator!), and our AoE is much less restricted. Consecration and Holy Wrath cost way too much mana to really be noteworthy during our AoE rotation; especially Consecration and its pitiful damage and long cooldown to back up insult to injury. We have Hammer of the Righteous which increases its damage during Inquisition to be noteworthy even at two targets and Divine Storm as an AoE HoPo finisher. For extra bonuses, we can glyph Exorcism to be an AoE attack (at the cost of range sadly) and Judgment working nicely on 2 or more targets and only requires tab-targetting or just knowing how to manage focus targeting. If you need a way to unstealth Rogues in PvP, Holy Prism with the self-target macro works just fine.

Level 90 helps a lot. The extra tier really opens up something to do during downtime with a powerful DoT (Execution Sentence) or a powerful AoE option (Light's Hammer, at least on stationary targets).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I just wanted to say I do miss Consecration for all specs, yes it was nigh useless for Ret but it was one of my favorite animations.
Reply Quote
I would rather have Holy Wrath back for Ret than Consecration. Just imagine the "extra execute" we get.

Heheheheheheh...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
01/29/2013 12:02 PMPosted by Bassm

Just imagine all the Ret QQ.

"WE HAVE TO BALANCE ANOTHER MECHANIC! I DIDN'T ROLL A FERAL KITTY OR ROGUE! NUUUUUUU!"

Ahh, their tears of rage would sustain me!

30s Seals weren't even that bad, to me, but I didn't reach cap back then - barely made it to 43 (and there are people that whine about leveling now - HA!). Personally, I think more should have been done with our Seals as opposed to making them passives that we never seem to change.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd like to see holy paladins, and maybe another healing class, focus more on what I like to call 'active bolstering'. It's like active mitigation, in the sense that we have to juggle heals, seals and maybe some other new spells. Making the choice between heal or temporary buffs. For example, building resource and having the choice of dropping an AoE or instead putting those resources into judgment and buffing your group for 10s with something like 5% dmg reduction (use AURA graphics!). This could carry over to prot and ret, but I think it would work best with Holy as a melee healer.
Reply Quote
12 Troll Monk
Only thing I miss consecration for in Ret is in PvP to uncloak the stealthers... now you need to use holy prisim to do that I guess.
Reply Quote
Consecrate + Holy Wrath + Retribution Aura = Spec of Mass Destruction

AoE farming stuff like this was fun too.
Reply Quote
Consecrate + Holy Wrath + Retribution Aura = Spec of Out of Mana

Fixed.

Well at least from Cataclysm standpoint...

AoE is pretty good in MoP. I'm so lazy I just use Ctrl (though I should really use Shift) to modify Crusader Strike to Hammer of the Righteous and Templars Verdict to Divine Storm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]