Obvious? fix for Discipline balance

80 Tauren Druid
I've been playing a priest since BC (and the only reason I didn't play Vanilla was because I was still playing my Cleric in EQ).

I've bounced between Holy and Disc through all the expansions, based on which was viable. Often I had two healing specs.

The main problem is that Disc shields completely snipe heals. So, instead of having bubbles absorb ALL damage. Have the bubbles absorb half the damage, and let half through. PW:S could still absorb 120k, but if an attack did 100k, only 50k would be absorbed, 50k damage would go through, and the shield would still have 70k left.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm not sure I get it.
Reply Quote
The duration would have to be vastly increased to account for it taking a longer period to be used...which would wreak havoc on rapture.

It may seem simple, but it is far from that.
Edited by Morenn on 1/29/2013 9:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I don't get how that would be a practical mechanic. Is that just to look better on charts? Anyone that has sense knows hps isn't the end all be all.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Yeah, no. They would literally have to redesign damage distribution for this as well as the entirety of discipline.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
People cry about every other class making them look bad at some point in this game. Thing is, when blizzard nerfs one class people simply go play a class that hasn't been nerfed. If you raid with a disc priest and succeed now, would you give up succeeding just to nerf your healer?

Each class has their specialties. Damage absorbtion is a disc priests function. You do your job and we'll do ours.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
I don't think Rapture or the duration would have to be modified. For tanks, they are going to take far more than 240k (2x 120k shield) in 15 seconds, so the bubble should still burst.

If anything, blizzard would have more flexibility. Maybe PoH could keep it's automatic DA. Or other spells could have an auto-DA component, instead of needed crit.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
01/29/2013 09:28 AMPosted by Ocyla
I don't get how that would be a practical mechanic. Is that just to look better on charts? Anyone that has sense knows hps isn't the end all be all.

It's a "be careful what you wish for" scenario. Remember when absorbs didn't show up on charts at all? Disc BEGGED for blizzard to change it so that absorbs would show.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/29/2013 10:17 AMPosted by Zasshu
I don't think Rapture or the duration would have to be modified. For tanks, they are going to take far more than 240k (2x 120k shield) in 15 seconds, so the bubble should still burst.

there's more to it then that

it will take half the time to break the bubble, that means i have to wait those extra seconds for rapture to go off cd. after say 10 rapture procs, we can factor in about let's say ~5 extra seconds for each one, that's almost a minute of downtime on it. it would destroy our mana regen worse then it already is
Edited by Kohnsu on 1/29/2013 10:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
It's a "be careful what you wish for" scenario. Remember when absorbs didn't show up on charts at all? Disc BEGGED for blizzard to change it so that absorbs would show.

Yeah, I always had baddie dr00ds talking about how horrible at healing I was in ICC/TOC until I linked Skada meters... It was still buggy, I'm sure, but I was doing at least as much healing (probably way more) than they were.

Please leave absorbs on the meters so I don't take a verbal beating by those who think meters are the be all, end all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/29/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Zasshu

Well, the reason people wanted it to show was that you had raid leaders like mine in Naxx/Ulduar who said, "You really need to go Holy, you're doing almost none of the healing." My tanks knew that they were alive because I was stabilizing their health with absorbs, but you couldn't see it on any meter.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
What if procs from DA and Power Word: Shield were unchanged (100% damage absorbed), but Spirit Shell was a 50% absorb?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/30/2013 02:59 PMPosted by Zasshu
What if procs from DA and Power Word: Shield were unchanged (100% damage absorbed), but Spirit Shell was a 50% absorb?

I really think that all they need to do is revert the DA buff and perhaps decouple SS from PoH and calculate it separately. That's it.

I don't like RNG procs period.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]