Chakra: How it should be (it needs a change)

90 Human Priest
I love the idea of having Chakras. However, they feel like they are a pain when healing is getting tight and every GCD matters. This is how I envision this spell should work, and why it is a better system.

Chakra: Your various types of spells increase your presence in that Chakra. Upon gaining enough presence, your Holy Word: Chastise will change to meet your Chakra.

Chakra: Serenity - Casting Heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal, Binding Heal increase your Chakra: Serenity. Upon reaching 5 Chakra: Serenity, you gain access to Holy Word: Serenity. Stacks 8 times, increases healing done by single target heals by 4% per stack. Casting non-Chakra: Serenity spells reduces Chakra: Serenity by 1 stack each spell cast.

Chakra: Sanctuary - Casting Prayer of Mending, Prayer of Healing, and Circle of Healing increase your presence in Chakra: Sanctuary. Upon reaching 5 Chakra: Sanctuary, you gain access to Holy Word: Sanctuary. Stacks 8 times, increases healing done by AoE healing spells by 4% per stack. Casting non-Chakra: Serenity spells reduces Chakra: Sanctuary by 1 stack each spell cast.

Chakra: Chastise - Casting Smite, Holy Fire, and Holy Word: Chastise increase your presence in Chakra: Chastise. Upon reaching 5 Chakra: Chastise, you gain access to Holy Word: Chastise (if not currently active). Stacks 8 times, increasing damage dealt from holy and shadow abilities by 6% per stack. Casting non-Chakra: Chastise spells reduces Chakra: Serenity by 1 stack each spell cast.

Realign Chakra - Realigns your Chakra, clearing your current Chakra State. Your Chakra qualifying spell cast will enter you into the corresponding Chakra with 8 stacks. 1 minute cooldown, Instant.

EX)
Cast realign - cast Flash heal. I am now 8 Chakra: Serenity. HW: Serenity active
I cast PoH, CoH and PoM. I am now 3 Chakra: Sanctuary, and 5 Chakra Serenity. HW: Serenity active
I then cast PoH again. 4 Chakra: Sanctuary, and 4 Chakra Serenity. HW: Serenity active
I then cast PoM, 5 Chakra: Sanctuary, and 3 Chakra Serenity. HW: Sanctuary becomes active
I cast CoH, and another PoH. 7 Chakra: Sanctuary, and 1 Chakra Serenity. HW: Sanctuary active
I cast realign - then Flash Heal. 0 Chakra: Sanctuary, and 8 Chakra Serenity. HW: Serenity now active
etc...

The visual for this could be a triangle indicator that lights up as it flows from one chakra to another.

The main reason why this method is a better way of handling chakra is because chakra intuitively should be a flowing energy. This method preserves the feeling it has, and maintains the spell structure, but allows for the dynamics of the priest to change with the situation and not be hard locked into a chakra. Your thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Clunky, hard to monitor, and still unnecessarily punitive if you have to rebuild stacks in preparation for a specific type of damage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/29/2013 02:11 AMPosted by Keirisonis
Clunky, hard to monitor, and still unnecessarily punitive if you have to rebuild stacks in preparation for a specific type of damage.

Re: Realign?

If you are prepping for a specific damage phase that happens more than once every minute then you are casting the wrong spells to begin with. and explain how it's hard to monitor? Holy power, Combo points, Soul shards, Eclipse, all have specific UI elements. That's all it would take.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
When someone takes a spike just before the big aoe damage happens then either you lean on your other healers to do your job without you, or you do subpar aoe healing because you had to single target for a second. How is that a good thing?

It's exactly the same as the current chakra system just with stacks instead of a cooldown. It's not that engaging, and leads to a style of play where you can't cast what you need to because you'll gimp another part of your healing by doing so. Exactly what the current chakra system does, only with more of a headache involved by having to either balance your chakra perfectly and be mediocre (which would probably involve alernating abilities) or sit in one extreme and tell the other healers to do what you can't.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
When someone takes a spike just before the big aoe damage happens then either you lean on your other healers to do your job without you, or you do subpar aoe healing because you had to single target for a second. How is that a good thing?

It's exactly the same as the current chakra system just with stacks instead of a cooldown. It's not that engaging, and leads to a style of play where you can't cast what you need to because you'll gimp another part of your healing by doing so. Exactly what the current chakra system does, only with more of a headache involved by having to either balance your chakra perfectly and be mediocre (which would probably involve alernating abilities) or sit in one extreme and tell the other healers to do what you can't.

And your suggestion to fix the issue is?

The thing is, that even though you feel that way, i believe this system is a great improvement. In your scenario, the person or two takes a big spike before a AE mechanic. 2 greater heals of 2 flashes, combined with effects from your other healers brings them up. you have a 4 stack buffer to allow for this type of instance before you lose your HW, and essentially, you could balance the percentages around 6-7 stacks. This makes the buff loss less of a penalty, and allows you to be tangibly better when you need to make those quick spike pickups instead of no benefit within the current system.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I like approaching it from a different angle. Instead of buffing specific spells, buff a style of healing. Remove the cooldown/costs on Chakra, eliminate the clunky Holy Word spells and just let the Priest switch as they desire. But make the bonuses such that switching on a spell-by-spell basis makes little sense:

Long cooldowns. Certain long cooldowns would cool down at four times the normal rate while in the appropriate Chakra (but cool down at the normal rate in other Chakras): Shadowfiend (Chastise), Guardian Spirit (Serenity), Divine Hymn (Sanctuary).

Prayer of Mending. Your Prayer of Mending could be cast on hostile targets as Prayer of Malice. It's performance when triggered would vary by Chakra:
In Chastise, it would jump to the most heavily damaged enemy.
In Serenity, it would jump back to the same ally or the most heavily damaged ally.
In Sanctuary, it would jump to the most heavily damaged ally.

So you could start in Chastise, cast Prayer of Mending on an enemy, switch to Serenity, hit that enemy to damage them and watch the Prayer of Mending switch to an ally (where it would sit for the remaining 4 bounces as a quasi-Earth Shield if you stayed in Serenity).

Renew. Depending on Chakra, different things could happen with your Renew:
In Chastise, enemies attacking a player with your Renew receive Holy damage equal to a single tick of that Renew but the remaining duration of the Renew is reduced accordingly.
In Serenity, allies who block, parry or dodge a melee attack refresh their Renew.
In Sanctuary, your Renew spell refreshes itself if the first tick completely overheals its target.

Note that switching Chakra also switches Renew performance. If you cast a Renew on someone and then switch to Chastise, the Rogue attacking them will start taking damage and chewing away at that Renew's duration. If you then switch to Serenity, the same Rogue will be auto-refreshing the Renew with his melee attacks (presuming the target blocks, dodges or parries them).

Suffering damage. Whenever you took damage, your Chakra state would create a secondary effect:
In Chastise, all enemies within 10 yards receive Holy damage equal to 15% of the damage taken.
In Sanctuary, all allies within 15 yards are healed for an amount equal to 15% of the damage taken.
In Serenity, you receive a HoT effect that heals you for 60% of the damage over 24 sec. If you cast a targeted heal on another player, this HoT effect is transferred to them.

Evangelism. This underused effect would gain some additional bonuses:
In Chastise, the mana cost of your Holy spells would be reduced by 6% per stack in addition to the normal effects (so 5 stacks would reduce Smite/Holy Fire by 60%, all other Holy spells by 30%).
In Serenity, your maximum health would be increased by 6% per stack and threat generation reduced by 6% per stack in addition to the normal effects.
In Sanctuary, your movement speed would be increased by 6% per stack in addition to the normal effects.
Edited by Medeyn on 1/29/2013 5:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
How chakra should be is that it shouldn't buff healing done by the spells but instead should only change what our holy word spell does and maybe keep the renew refresh in Serenity and perhaps something like make PoH a smart heal in Sanctuary

and just move the healing buff to a passive and lower it a bit (5-10%) to balance being able to use both AoE and single target at full power
Edited by Lilinette on 1/30/2013 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I like Chakra how it is now, tbh. It was cumbersome in Cata, requiring any ramp up or long term prep to swap is a pain.

The only issue I have with it currently is the cooldown being a little long. I'd like to see it at 15 seconds for QOL.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I still don't understand the problem with Chakra.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Chakra needs to be removed. It adds nothing to the class nor is it fun. With Chakra gone, we would have access to all holy word spells and their separate cooldowns.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Personally that is way to many stacks and part of the problem i have with chakra right now, the passive buff is WAY to high for comfort. When healing, If I am serenity and a large amount of aoe damage randomly hits a group (unplanned) then it makes me feel bad to be casting a prayer of healing. On the other hand if I am Sanctuary I will feel bad for casting a single target heal. The 25% increased healing to one side of our toolkit is a drastic difference. My prayer of healing goes from 27k per person to 33k per person and my greater heal goes from 70k to about 90k.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
01/30/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Riôt

It's not a major issue, but Chakra as it is promotes a really rigid play style.

I'll take Heroic Sha P2 for example - it involves heavy single target healing every Huddle in Terror and AoE damage everything the Light is passed. With a 30 second CD on Chakra, you're effectively unable to swap between the two as the Huddle is on a <45s timer, disabling a Holy Priest from properly adapting to the type of damage going out, which contradicts the entire purpose of Chakra.

The simplest fix to this would be to simply reduce its CD to allow more decision making via Chakras in a Holy Priest's play. Too bad it's always a dichotomy with GC - it either has a CD or it doesn't, as evidenced by his latest response to Chakra's CD.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

Riôt

It forces you to choose between absolutely godawful pathetic useless overpriced single-target heals (the same ones that are so bad that Disc would rather PoH on 1 target, although thankfully it can Atonement now instead) and subpar AoE heals.

The AoE heals in Serenity aren't really that bad - they're quite adequate HPS - but with Holy's limited mana, it really can't afford to take a 20% hit to its efficiency on a regular basis and still put out the expected amount of healing. (Keep in mind that Holy PoH already takes a 20-30% efficiency hit in practical use because of unavoidable unevenness of damage across groups, so we're talking casting a spell at ~60% of its ideal efficiency).

The single-target heals in Sanctuary (and Chastise) are probably the worst healing spells in the game. When we're forced to cast them, we cry. Literally. Priest tears. That's where all the forum QQ comes from. It's made of holy priest tears.

So when you're in one Chakra, you have to make a sincere and deliberate effort to pretend that the other half of your healing toolkit doesn't exist. If you want to do any significant amount of AoE healing, you must switch to Sanctuary. If you need to single-target heal, you must switch to Serenity. If you need to do a mix of both, or if you suddenly need to do one without warning...well, God help you, you're screwed.

That just doesn't work well in a spec that attracts people who want flexible, reactive healing and a widely-varied toolkit.

On the other hand, the OP's suggestion doesn't fix the problem. It arguably makes it worse (makes you avoid those off-Chakra spells even harder). It would be great from an RP perspective if Chakra had anything whatsoever to do with priests from an RP perspective, but it doesn't, so I think RP-related considerations should be the absolute last priority.

-----------------------------

What should be done is to remove the flat healing bonus from Chakra and just give Holy +15-20% flat healing baseline. Or, hell, just buff all priest healing spells by 15-20%. That fixes a lot of Disc's issues too, although you'd have to nerf Grace a bit.

They can then redesign Chakra to provide playstyle changes instead of numbers changes. For instance:

Chakra: Serenity: You gain access to Holy Word: Serenity. Your direct heals refresh the duration of Renew on their target. Your spell haste now reduces the cooldown on Holy Word: Serenity. Casting Renew grants one stack of Serendipity. Your Heal now benefits from, but does not consume, Serendipity. Your Heal and Renew casts reduce the cooldown of Chakra by 5 seconds and cause your next Chakra to increase your Mastery by 5% for 20 seconds. This effect stacks up to 3 times.

Chakra: Sanctuary: You gain access to (a cheaper and shorter version of) Holy Word: Sanctuary. Renew ticks now proc Echo of Light (affects existing Renews). Heals received from Holy Word: Sanctuary cause Prayer of Mending to jump to its next target. Casting Circle of Healing or Prayer of Mending grants one stack of Serendipity. Your Prayer of Healing and Greater Heal casts reduce the cooldown of Chakra by 5 seconds and cause your next Chakra to increase your spell haste by 5% for 20 seconds. This effect stacks up to 3 times.

Chakra: Chastise: Grants access to Holy Word: Chastise. Increases spell damage by 50%, and reduces the cost of Smite and Holy Fire by 90%. Your spell haste now reduces the cooldown of Shadowfiend and Mindbender, and the mana restored by Shadowfiend and Mindbender is increased by your Mastery. Your Smite and Holy Fire casts reduce the cooldown of Chakra by 5 seconds and cause your next Chakra to increase your healing done by 3% for 20 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.

Now you've got (1) a reason to switch Chakras (each one buffs the next, with the strongest buff coming from Chastise); (2) strong healing with any appropriately-used spell in any Chakra; and (3) Chakras with an actual practical purpose that doesn't restrict your spell selection (Serenity is for efficient, moderate healing; Sanc is for burst; Chastise is for low-level healing with some damage contribution).
Edited by Kaels on 1/30/2013 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
I thought you said renew rolling in Serenity was great.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
01/30/2013 02:27 PMPosted by Taymage

It might be good in 10 mans, but not viable in 25s. I don't think a spell mechanic should see such difference in utility and usefulness between the brackets.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/30/2013 02:27 PMPosted by Taymage

It is great. It's just frustrating because you're limited to just a few spells that work well with that strategy, when Holy has so much more in its arsenal. It's not a power issue, it's a quality-of-life/enjoyability issue.

It also doesn't work very well in 25s.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Ah.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
On the other hand, the OP's suggestion doesn't fix the problem. It arguably makes it worse (makes you avoid those off-Chakra spells even harder). It would be great from an RP perspective if Chakra had anything whatsoever to do with priests from an RP perspective, but it doesn't, so I think RP-related considerations should be the absolute last priority.

I've actually thought about this a lot, though I haven't talked about it at all, really.

Chakra actually makes more sense for Discipline than it does for Holy. Or at least the 'New Age' interpretation of Chakras do. Likewise, Evangelism and Archangel seem more thematically appropriate for Holy (especially Archangel, considering they already turn into angels when they die).

Not saying they should be changed or swapped, just talkin' 'bout themes.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Skoot, I agree.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
01/30/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Kaels
Skoot, I agree.

Second
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]