Up and coming tank, voicing some concern.

90 Orc Warrior
Good evening tanks,

I have been doing some research after deciding I want to raid tank as a Warrior, just to see where other Warrior tanks were sitting. After some looking around on raidbots.com and looking through Warrior forums and Tank forums, I was a bit disheartened. First, Warrior tanks are at the low end on almost all raid settings (10-25M N/H) and on top of that, we're getting a defense nerf in 5.2.

I have a Monk tank that I've been toying with as well, but I really like the plate look, and just how long Warriors have been around. I don't want to invest 400k+ gold and hours of time into getting one up to par, only to find out I'm behind the rest and not desired.

TL:DR - Are Warriors tanks losing (and in 5.2 even more so) their raid MT viability when matched with other tanks?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Defence nerf? You mean the stance? It's only for arms and fury.

Prot will still have 25% damage reduction, 15%+10% passive ability

The only thing I find completely out of whack is how we have to have hit/exp cap now, crazy stuff
Edited by Mardigo on 1/30/2013 1:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Oh Brother
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Good evening tanks,

I have been doing some research after deciding I want to raid tank as a Warrior, just to see where other Warrior tanks were sitting. After some looking around on raidbots.com and looking through Warrior forums and Tank forums, I was a bit disheartened. First, Warrior tanks are at the low end on almost all raid settings (10-25M N/H) and on top of that, we're getting a defense nerf in 5.2.

I have a Monk tank that I've been toying with as well, but I really like the plate look, and just how long Warriors have been around. I don't want to invest 400k+ gold and hours of time into getting one up to par, only to find out I'm behind the rest and not desired.

TL:DR - Are Warriors tanks losing (and in 5.2 even more so) their raid MT viability when matched with other tanks?

Raid MT viability should not be a concern for you when 5.2 hits. Even right now it shouldn't be a concern either. I believe warrior tanks remain competitive and what people say on other forums shouldn't deter you from playing a Warrior Tank.

Unlike other tank classes DK/Druid/Pally/Monk, I enjoy the playstyle that comes with being a warrior such as mobility, a ton of mitigation spells/cooldowns, and the general feel for the class.

To comment on poster above Mardigo - 5.2 isn't a nerf to defensive stance for prot warriors as there is going to be a passive 10% dmg reduction when in prot spec. The nerf is designed for arms and its warranted so no worries there. Also hitting the 7.5 hit/exp isn't hard whatsoever. You do sacrifice some dodge/parry potential though, so depending on what fight - like I have said in some of my other posts...its best to have multiple sets of gear depending on the situation.

I have been gearing a warrior tank this way since BC where you have a raid threat/dmg(hit/expertise/dmg) set and a raid mitigation set (hit 7.5/parry/dodge). If you aren't going to be doing hardcore raiding such as heroic raids. It shouldn't be a huge concern for you to have multiple sets.

Play the class you want to play and judge the class for yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I have tanked with a pally, druid and DK. I always end up taking less damage overall, with the pally by a substantial amount, and do more damage overall.

All classes are pretty close so pick your favorite class and learn to play it well and you will have no problems at all.
Reply Quote
96 Gnome Warrior
Our dps as tanks is parsed at 3 out of 5 on a website so we are clearly bottom halfed AND there is QQ on the forums? Dang, I should re-roll then because my guild is going to bench me.

Tank class rarely means more than player skill. It is a player that messes up and wipes the raid, not the class.
Edited by Quinten on 1/30/2013 4:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Our dps as tanks is parsed at 3 out of 5 on a website so we are clearly bottom halfed AND there is QQ on the forums? Dang, I should re-roll then because my guild is going to bench me.

Tank class rarely means more than player. It is a player that messes up and wipes the raid, not the tanks class.

I agree with the Gnome
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

Tank class rarely means more than player. It is a player that messes up and wipes the raid, not the tanks class.

Exactly. Only like the top 10 guilds in the world bench classes based on whats "hot" and what's "not". Prot is getting a small buff overall at low vengeance levels and a small nerf overall at extreme vengeance levels.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I have tanked with a pally, druid and DK. I always end up taking less damage overall, with the pally by a substantial amount, and do more damage overall.

All classes are pretty close so pick your favorite class and learn to play it well and you will have no problems at all.

Wait what? Paladin take less damage than warriors? Wha? Since when?
Edited by Skathe on 1/31/2013 5:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Wait what? Paladin takes a LOT less damage than warriors? Wha? Since when?

It's what I've heard. But since I don't see many regularly to compare with and I haven't worked on my pally alt much I can't confirm it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
01/31/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Skathe
Wait what? Paladin take less damage than warriors? Wha? Since when?

I think he was saying he takes less damage than the other tank (paladin, druid, and dk).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Our tanking style seems more aggressive in the Mists makeup, but I hardly think it's underpowered. It could use some finer tuning... I wouldn't fight a buff either way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]