Funny Story + New to Tanking

90 Night Elf Hunter
I have funny story from last night. I'm new to tanking but skilled enough player to do the job decently.

My new tank was level 59 DK at the time of this story. I was in an instance with 3-4 other players from Darkspear (I believe that was the server name, possibly all from the same guild). Anyways I pull the first two groups (4 mobs) except the healer doesn't heal me... I said "Ok... you ready now...??" Then the hunter goes and pulls a large group and two of the adds (non-elite) start attacking the healer and immediately the healer starts calling me a dumbass... When the stupid hunter pulled and didn't even trap one of the mobs (not that it needed trapped). The thing is I only had one AOE and it was on cool down. I got aggro on the elites but still...

Anyways I pull another group and then the hunter goes I want to tame the wolf... the healing pally goes ok go ahead... so he goes to the next group with a wolf and starts to tame it... This causes him to pull the whole group obviously... So I AOE and get aggro on the group of mobs so my group doesn't die... Then the hunter says the Tank won't let me tame the pet... The healer goes hey dumb@#$ tank let the hunter tame the pet... So I go ok... I pull two more groups and then leave the group...

I'm not saying that I'm good or great at tanking because I've played a hunter since pre-beta and pretty much only a hunter. I love taking advice from anyone, especially on classes I don't play a lot or know much about. Any advice to make me a better player I appreciate. Any alts I have had, I barely played, and even if I got them to a higher level, I didn't invest the time in them to consider myself anything except for a hunter expert. I made it to 2100+ in 2v2 BC arena's with two different teams warlock/bm hunter and resto druid/mm hunter. Back then hunters were much more difficult to play in arenas too (I do miss viper sting). I also managed to make it to 1850-2000 various 3v3 teams with my hunter and disc priest (I wish I could say I was good at priest, but I'm not compared to other priests). I wish I would have been able to make gladiator (hopefully someday) but I don' t think we as a team had the right strategy against certain combo's.

Anyways, tanking is new to me and I find it to be quite awesome. DK is a new class to me and I'm in no way able to say I know much about DK's or tanking but I know enough to say that I'm not a noob or a horrible tank. I want people to enjoy my tanking and appreciate the job I do. I respect good healers too, I think they a very difficult job. I can't say harder or easier than tanking but, it's much easier to dps than it is to tank or heal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Main advice anyone will give you is this: Develop a thick skin. People can be... well, there is no polite way to describe them that won't get me banned. Sorry your experience wasn't a pleasant one. =/
Reply Quote
54 Human Mage
I'm a tank and have been for years. I've had so many bad experiences that, at times, I have to step back and reevaluate whether or not it's worth it to play the game. On top of personal attacks, people making alts on my server or whatever else, it's hard to deal with. Most of the people you meet in this game are rude and think they are entitled to more than you, and they make it known. I just had an insane argument with two people in my guild that was so unbelievably stupid, I had to stop for a second and go 'Really?' because I couldn't believe what they were saying.

Basically, I was told DPS should be allowed to pull no matter what, unless the instance's difficulty is moderate or higher, and as a tank, I'm assuming I'm better than everyone else because I feel like I have to, and this is verbatim, 'pull every single damn mob'. Apparently, as I've returned to the game to find out, it's common opinion among DPS more so than ever, that the tank does not need to pull and the DPS should be allowed to do it. This offends me because I chose tank to tank, pulling and threat management are in the same book as far as most tanks are concerned. If a DPS pulls, that means I have to reassess the aggro'd mob on him and try to get it off, or at the very least, keep an eye on what I'm doing, the healer, all the DPS and this DPS' health meter.

Point being, people are self-centered and self-entitled and if you're going to play the game, you gotta find it in yourself to ignore it because they are going to try to ruin your experience. Don't let 'em step on you and overstep their role. WoW has one of the worst communities in gaming, or anywhere really, and tanking is gonna test your patience with them.
Edited by Lunagå on 1/30/2013 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
To Lunaga.

I think the common opinion amongst Dps is still let the tank pull, but, the tank isnt "necessary" or at least as needed as they once were.

Yes, tanks are still the best way to let the dps focus and for everyone to run swiftly through an instance, but dps (at least by my own a neck doe tail evidence) do get frustrated with the aura of arogance that tanks surround themselves with, similar to the aura of stupid that Dps carry with them in the eyes of tanks.

To the topic in hand however,

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but perhaps those actions should be taken with a spoonful of cement. I like my tanks hard, I dont like my tanks going Squish, Physically or Emotionally.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
You're a tank. They were a bad group.

Right Click your own portrait -> Leave Instance Group. /ignore one of them and queue again. Ta-da! New group instantly! Most likely better!

The best way with deal with idiots is to remember that, as a tank, you're the babysitter. You shouldn't get too mad at them, they are just idiot kids. It's not their fault they're stupid. The good part about being a tank, though, is that you can quit whenever without any repercussions. Just get out and let them be someone else's problem.

One time I saw someone give this mantra about LFG groups: "It's not worth it. It's not worth it. It's never worth it". If you got a bad group, get out. Deserter debuff just means you are away from idiots for at least 30 minutes! And if you reaaaally want to avoid the debuff... Stick around for about 10 minutes and THEN leave.

-

I think DKs get important abilities at 60 or something, so it's a tad harder to tank with them before that... Unless they changed that. If you were doing fine then, you'll probably do even better later on. Tanking is not hard. Certain DPS love making it be, though...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/01/2013 07:01 AMPosted by Ezraeil
I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but perhaps those actions should be taken with a spoonful of cement. I like my tanks hard, I dont like my tanks going Squish, Physically or Emotionally.

Or maybe people can not be jerks? Tanks are people too, they don't like being abused just like you don't like it. And people wonder why theres a pug tank shortage at max level...
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
02/01/2013 07:51 AMPosted by Ptea

Or maybe people can not be jerks? Tanks are people too, they don't like being abused just like you don't like it. And people wonder why theres a pug tank shortage at max level...

You are right, nobody likes being abused. I don't let other peoples abuse bother me though. I go in, I do my job, and I give 100% effort. If someone has constructive critique I will give them an ear but if it amounts to "Hey you suxor learn to play noobsauce" then I shrug and just go about my merry way.

Sure, it would be easier for people not to be jerks, but those people likely dont read the forum, or if they did, high five themselves because they dont have any friends... I mean... Because their actions got under another persons skin.

Rather than wait for peace and love to reign supreme, I take what other people say with a grain of salt, Harden myself up and not let anyone spoil my day.

"Anyone who makes you cry often isnt worth your tears, those that are, often dont make you cry."
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What the hell are you all talking about? I've only had trouble once with a DPS pulling, and it was because it was a Warlock with nearly 100k dos who wanted to go in and out. I politely asked the Lock to quit rushing so much and VOILA, just like that I was able to do my job! Just don't let it eve get to you. Like Lightning said, develop a thick skin. Never be afraid to ask why you can't hold threat, if the Warrior is defensive stance from when he was last tanking, if the hunters pet has growl, you know. If there's a problem you can fix it just by talking to people. Oh, and he said you wouldn't let him tame the pet because you we're probably hitting what he was trying to tame and I think that cancels it.

And Lugana, if you've had that many bad experiences with tanking...you gotta work on SOMETHING. It's never just being unlucky. You're either under geared, an !@#$%^-, not communicating where it's needed, or not wearing tank gear. You've also got to understand that you will not start out an amazing tank who can easily hold threat, watch the healer, nearby packs of mobs and all that. You can't say that it just isn't worth it to play because you refuse to truly learn about what you're doing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
What the hell are you all talking about? I've only had trouble once with a DPS pulling, and it was because it was a Warlock with nearly 100k dos who wanted to go in and out. I politely asked the Lock to quit rushing so much and VOILA, just like that I was able to do my job! Just don't let it eve get to you. Like Lightning said, develop a thick skin. Never be afraid to ask why you can't hold threat, if the Warrior is defensive stance from when he was last tanking, if the hunters pet has growl, you know. If there's a problem you can fix it just by talking to people. Oh, and he said you wouldn't let him tame the pet because you we're probably hitting what he was trying to tame and I think that cancels it.

And Lugana, if you've had that many bad experiences with tanking...you gotta work on SOMETHING. It's never just being unlucky. You're either under geared, an !@#$%^-, not communicating where it's needed, or not wearing tank gear. You've also got to understand that you will not start out an amazing tank who can easily hold threat, watch the healer, nearby packs of mobs and all that. You can't say that it just isn't worth it to play because you refuse to truly learn about what you're doing.

Maybe you never got a bad group? It's almost impossible for a dps to actually pull off a tank with DPS alone. I imagine when people say dps are pulling is like this:

- Tank is behind
- DPS is in front
- DPS "pulls" the mobs
- Since a DPS pulled, he didn't do it right, and now some monsters are running towards the DPS that pulled, some are running towards the other DPS and there's one or two running towards the healer
- Now the tank has to fix that !@#$.

Because that's MY experience. Some DPS also like to do this while you're fighting off the LAST mobs he pulled.

Most DPS (maybe excepting hunters) are not well-equipped to making pulls. If a DPS does that, it will, most likely, screw things up. Additionally, any DPS that KNOWS how to pull used to be a Tank, and anyone who used to be a Tank knows you don't pull %^-* as DPS. Even hunters should be aware that they only misdirect AFTER the tank starts the pull or some dimwit pulls it on accident, as an additional push in threat at the beginning (and I love helping tanks like that on mine).

EDIT: And when I'm in a bad mood and someone pulls way too often, even after I asked them to stop, I'll either ignore them and move along (if queued with a healer friend) or drop group (if I don't know if the healer will let him die).
Edited by Dinaru on 2/2/2013 9:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Horde response: L2P
Reply Quote
Yea I hear ya, I'm leveling a tank now too and my group were pulling things like crazy. Finally the healer goes "Hey why don't we let the tank you know, tank" and calls out the shaman.

Then I say "He's not the only one."

What happens next.

"I'm not a 'he' I have a vagna for a reason!"

Great for you sweatheart, and i have a !@#$% for a reason but I don't whip it out in groups and talk about it. I guess she expected us to fawn over her or something idk.

For the rest of the instance I was pinballing on my poor lil gnome warrior workin my ^-* off trying to keep things... tame. People telling barking orders at me, getting extra mobs that have an AoE silence messing with the healer... You need a thick skin like someone else said.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/30/2013 12:21 PMPosted by Kokko
I'm not saying that I'm good or great at tanking because I've played a hunter since pre-beta and pretty much only a hunter.

Well, this does qualify you to identify bad huntards, like the one in your group was for trying to tame a pet before the tank had aggro.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]