Warcraft Movie Update: Director Signed!

90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/31/2013 11:52 AMPosted by Dremin
My point was that those directors hadn't done anything similar before they got (or created, in the case of Lucas) control of a massive franchise.

They only had tons of experience and success before being allowed to make the films you listed. I'd really like to know what you mean by similar though...

We talking about genre, budget, story?

None of which were on the scale of Star Wars.

What do you mean by scale? The 10 mil budget or do you mean scale just because it was an epic? It wasn't supposed to be a massive franchise; it came with the deal Lucas signed for American Graffiti. I mean, the major obstacles to Star Wars were budget and Universal's resistance, but it was a box office smash so more movies were made.

None of which were remotely similar to Batman. Batman Begins was his 4th film, and the combined worldwide gross of his previous films was less than its budget.

I don't know what you mean by similar. Because the explosions weren't as large? You don't think the dementia of characters in both Memento and Insomnia helped Nolan write/direct Batman or Joker? You don't find any correlation between Memento, a story about a man avenging his wife's killer, and anything that happened in Batman? You don't think Memento, adapted from a short story his brother wrote, might have helped Nolan adapt Batman from the comics? You don't find any correlation between Insomnia, a story about two homicide detectives hunting down an insane serial killer, that might relate to Batman?

I don't understand what point comparing gross with budget proves, so I'm not going to address it.

Giving (potentially) big franchises to relative unknowns isn't a new thing, and it has often been successful.

Also, my point in showing those 3 directors' credentials is that they were not unknown or even relatively unknown. They'd been acknowledged by the Academy (that tends to get the word out about them) and worked on films for a decade or more.

and Duncan Jones is a critic's darling, your point?

And what of neill blomkamp, he was completely unknown and made a movie that made a lot of money, and received good reviews.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Posted by Chicknchaser

Duncan Jones

who?

Source Code and Moon

straight to Dvd movies?

live-action

Really blizz?

Glad to see we are getting another terrible live action movie like DragonBall: Evolution.

You seriously can't be this dumb...

Good argument.
90 Human Rogue
Duncan Jones tapped to direct Warcraft movie
Comments 60
Omri Petitte at 01:55am January 31 2013

World of Warcraft

Bringing the sparkly Night Elves and drunken pandas of Blizzard’s Warcraft universe to the silver screen has been a goal for both the developer and film studio partner Legendary Pictures since 2006, but finding a worthy director turned troublesome throughout the project’s formation. Now, The Hollywood Reporter is saying that English filmmaker Duncan Jones has signed on to direct the live-action adaptation for a planned 2015 release.

Jones previously directed the sci-fi thriller Source Code and low-budget space drama Moon. He’s also the only son of musician David Bowie, a factoid which sort of cosmically fits with choosing the proper individual to make a movie based on a franchise where dancing is practically its own language. A tweet from Jones corroborated the news this evening, along with another one from Blizzard CCO Rob Pardo.

Not much else is known about Warcraft’s secretive script or cast nor how many films are planned. Back in 2007, Blizzard Vice President of Creative Development Chris Metzen hinted the movie’s setting takes place one year before the events of World of Warcraft and will likely feature appearances by heroes Cairne Bloodhoof, Thrall, and Bolvar Fordragon.
90 Night Elf Druid
01/31/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Elpaladini

I think my point has been made pretty clear from the get go, but I'll reiterate it: I'm worried about the film because they're going with a wild card as director, a newcomer who made at least one movie I hated and one movie I can't even find to watch.

01/31/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Elpaladini
And what of neill blomkamp, he was completely unknown and made a movie that made a lot of money, and received good reviews.

What of it? For every Blomkamp and District 9, how many movies bomb...especially fantasy or movies based off video games? There's always a chance Warcaft turns out great, but the odds are definitely not in its favor.
Edited by Dremin on 1/31/2013 12:10 PM PST
01/30/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Grafex
moon? lol

Moon with Dax Sheppard was not good at all.
Edited by Kiralai on 1/31/2013 12:15 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight
FINALLY!! :DDDDD
90 Undead Hunter
If this movie actually does get released I'm going to piss myself out of excitement. Sure its probably going to be horrible but what video game movie isn't. I'm going to watch it anyway.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/31/2013 12:13 PMPosted by Kiralai
moon? lol

Most critics disagree with you, or people with taste.
90 Undead Warlock
Cant wait!!! I just hope they don't screw it up! I want blood and gore!!!! I want to cringe when an undead eats a human corpse....... I want to pee my pants when I see a druid shapeshift... Shall i keep going?
2 Pandaren Hunter
01/31/2013 12:08 PMPosted by Dremin

I think my point has been made pretty clear from the get go, but I'll reiterate it: I'm worried about the film because they're going with a wild card as director, a newcomer who made at least one movie I hated and one movie I can't even find to watch.

What of it? For every Blomkamp and District 9, how many movies bomb...especially fantasy or movies based off video games? There's always a chance Warcaft turns out great, but the odds are definitely not in its favor.

So you're saying moon is bad, but starwars, the hobbit and batman are good? You have awful tastes.
2 Pandaren Hunter
moon? lol

he wasnt in moon
duncan jones has only done a few movies yet they are highly rated i think that says a lot
01/31/2013 10:54 AMPosted by Chicknchaser
Duncan Jones
who?

Source Code and Moon
straight to Dvd movies?

live-action
Really blizz?

Glad to see we are getting another terrible live action movie like DragonBall: Evolution.

no,not straight to dvd movies both are highly rated

also you're an ignorant troll good day
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Posted by Chicknchaser

Duncan Jones

who?

Source Code and Moon

straight to Dvd movies?

live-action

Really blizz?

and I bet you were the guy standing up cheering at the end of " The Last Airbender"

01/31/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Tygarus

seems like most here would disagree
90 Human Mage
OMG OMG OMG OMG. This is great news. I'll wait until I watch the movie to give any personal opinion about it, not before.

GREAT NEWS!! I can't wait to watch it. Damn!!
01/31/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Mictihtoya

he wasnt in moon

Sam Rockwell.....either way it was boring and uneventful.....unless u like to watch almost 100 minutes of a guy talking to himself and hallucinating.....
moon? lol

Rotten tomatoes has it at a 90%, and the other movie is at 91%.

I'd say those movies were pretty damn good, though I've never seen them.
90 Human Mage

he wasnt in moon

Sam Rockwell.....either way it was boring and uneventful.....unless u like to watch almost 100 minutes of a guy talking to himself and hallucinating.....

Are we takling about Warcraft the movie? No, that's what I thought. Give the benefit of the doubt to the director. We all want a Warcraft movie. It'll be great and if it isn't, I don't care. I'll watch it anyways.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Posted by Chicknchaser

Duncan Jones

who?

Source Code and Moon

straight to Dvd movies?

live-action

Really blizz?

and I bet you were the guy standing up cheering at the end of " The Last Airbender"

01/31/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Tygarus

seems like most here would disagree

Most people here would want some pulp CGI movie made by Raimi that constantly reminds you that it's a video game movie, and think Nolan is the best director ever born..

I wouldn't take their opinion on anything seriously.
01/31/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Abbaslupus

Rotten tomatoes has it at a 90%, and the other movie is at 91%.

I'd say those movies were pretty damn good, though I've never seen them.

This made me LoL.... now I'm calling troll on you.
You never watched either movie....alrighty then...
/hand on forehead
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]