The Best Joker actor

100 Orc Warrior
There 4 jokers out there Caesar Romero, Jack Nicholson Mark Hamill, and Heath Ledger. Of 4 jokers what you think who made best joker. Mine is Mark Hamil I grew up with watching Batman Animated series his laugh was just amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb8fWUUXeKM.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Rogue
Mark Hamill, it's not even a contest. Heath ledger did really well in the Dark Knight in creating a very dark and gritty Joker for the dark and gritty Batman story the new movies were trying to tell, but Mark Hamill's Joker is pretty much the iconic Joker now.

It's just a shame that he is pretty much done with acting now unless someone does something big like make another Batman game and they just need him, so that means no more classic Joker for any feature animated shows and what not.
Reply Quote
83 Night Elf Warrior
Heath Ledger. I liked Mark Hamill's joker, but it's tough for me to say he was the best because it's voice acting.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Mark Hamill. I hate to sound like a typical "it was in the 90s so it was awesome" person but...cmon.

I hated Arkham City just because they killed that joker off.

John Dimaggio does a good Joker laugh but that's about it with him.
Edited by Rosenivy on 1/31/2013 12:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I hate to be "that guy," but Heath Ledger just dug so deep into that character... there are so many brilliant nuances to his interpretation. I think he really set a new bar.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Mark Hamill all the way. Ledger was good for the nature of that movie but it's pretty much a version of the character that remains isolated inside that Movie-verse.

Hamill's Joker is more universal and true to the character mixing moments of comical whimsy with moments of outright terrifying menace.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Comparing a voice actor to a screen actor. Okay.

I wonder who the better Darth Vader was. David Prowse or James Earl Jones?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Heath Ledger, by far. Mark Hamill was a good voice actor...but he just did the voice, he didn't have to actually act the character. I know voice acting is still acting to an extent, but considering Heath Ledger had to physically act the character too...

Also, Ledger's Joker is by far the closest to the original Joker in the comic books before everything became all politically correct.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Heath Ledger without a doubt. Personally, I never liked Mark Hamill's voice acting anyway, (Hence, why the season finale of the last air bender was a kind of disappointment for me). But when i saw Heath Ledger's Joker compared to Jack Nicholson, whom I thought was the best Joker ever before, Ledger made it. He made the Joker, IMO, absolutely perfect. I mean, he stuck a dudes head onto a pencil and giggled about it just like I pictured a psychotic Joker to do.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
James Earl Jones?

You really have to ask?

Also, there was a third vader actor. So.. Yeah.

It's Mark.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 06:49 PMPosted by Padgagers
Comparing a voice actor to a screen actor. Okay.
Exactly my thoughts. I wasn't even aware Mark Hamill VOICED the Joker at all until this thread came along.

I was going to rate them from Best to Worst, or at least decent but not ok or best.... but there's too much thought work involved.

Personally, I liked Heath Ledger as the Joker the most. VERY good performance, and it's done in a more dark tone than in previous incarnations. Cesar Romero is a next best, considering he just kept the ball rolling and did so in a very comedic manner.

Jack Nicholson is either a tie with Cesar or the next best. Kind of a cross between Heath and Cesar even though he played the Joker long before Heath did. VERY comedic but also dark toned.

And really, as far as Mark Hamill is concerned, I vaguely remember that Jokers voice from some scenes from that series when I was a kid.... Not much of an impact since I didn't care for that series then. But it was mainly due to having a difficult time following, or at the very least getting time to watch it when it was on TV.

And I haven't seen much of it since then. But I do remember the voice work was pretty good. But here again.... I only consider there to be 3 Jokers since one of them was just a voice actor.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Maybe this title was little misleading.. I thought actors are actors no matter if its voice or not...But I keep asking myself with this question. What if Heath Ledger didn't died before this movie was release. How would people reacted from Dark Knight filmed and Heath acting? Some people I know think its nothing but respecting the dead. But who knows. Sorry guys about misleading ._.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I call a tie between Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger.

Here's why:

I grew up thinking Mark Hamill was amazing in that role, given that he was not actually in front of the camera, our viewpoint into Gotham. As I aged, I started to notice that his performance was impeccable to say the least. What struck me wasn't the animated Joker's laugh; it was his occasionally poignant, and silent, smile. There's an episode where he is riding a box away on a conveyor belt, with shadows and light passing over his face. The smile, music and mood in that sequence made it seem like I, the viewer, was at that time watching madness personified.

In contrast, Heath Ledger I am convinced nearly channeled the Joker somehow. I cannot explain it with words here; it's like Heath truly dug deep down inside himself, found the Jung Trickster mask, put it on, and went wild. Heath went somewhere scary, and I'm sorry we lost him. His parting role was simply amazing to me.

So, again, I say tie between Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger, for the above reasons.
Reply Quote
83 Night Elf Warrior
02/01/2013 07:04 AMPosted by Ghaghzull
Maybe this title was little misleading.. I thought actors are actors no matter if its voice or not...But I keep asking myself with this question. What if Heath Ledger didn't died before this movie was release. How would people reacted from Dark Knight filmed and Heath acting? Some people I know think its nothing but respecting the dead. But who knows. Sorry guys about misleading ._.

Yes acting is acting. Voice acting just seems to require less talent. Ledger as the voice of an animated/video game joker would have been good. But, Hamill as a live action joker? He would be mediocre at best.
Edited by Firo on 2/1/2013 9:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Jack Nicholson captured the Jokers insanity and flair.

Heath Ledger just WAS the Joker, his insanity walked hand in hand with his brilliance and his razors edge Cynical side was spot ON.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Rogue

Yes acting is acting. Voice acting just seems to require less talent.

Yeah, that's not true. Voice acting and Live acting are both good forms of acting and require the person to have different skill sets. Voice actors have to bring a character to life with their voice which is no easy task at all, and a live actor has make what is seen on screen believable, which is equally as hard but for different reasons. Both take equal levels of talent but in different ways.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
Heath Ledger's Joker is excellent, but I found his version's comical side lacking. Mark Hamil has brought every aspect of the Joker alive. I do like them both though.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Gotta go with Mark Hammill. His voice will always be the definitive Joker voice for me.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
I've gotta say Heath 'cause, like others have said, he just was the Joker, heart and soul. I mean, you just know there were moments where people on the set had to be freaked out.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
01/31/2013 08:42 AMPosted by Keathil
It's just a shame that he is pretty much done with acting now unless someone does something big like make another Batman game and they just need him, so that means no more classic Joker for any feature animated shows and what not.

Seen Avatar the Last Airbender, you have not.

He was the voice of Fire Lord Ozai.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]