The Best Joker actor

90 Orc Death Knight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWlKvYNoEg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gBWpWwIBKw

Gotta go with Mark Hamill for this one.

Also, Mark isn't just a Voice Actor, he's also a screen actor too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hamill#Live_action_and_stage_work

I think people forget he played Luke Skywalker in Star Wars and a lot more.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWlKvYNoEg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gBWpWwIBKw

Gotta go with Mark Hamill for this one.

Also, Mark isn't just a Voice Actor, he's also a screen actor too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hamill#Live_action_and_stage_work

I think people forget he played Luke Skywalker in Star Wars and a lot more.

Everyone knows he played Luke Skywalker. It's his only famous screen role. The primary focus of his career is voice acting now, and he's had a rather lucrative one at that.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
Wasn't he in the pilot's seat a lot? I remember him being in Wing Commander or Robotech
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight
As far as the movies go, I'm going with Jack Nicholson because he sticks to the Joker "canon" and he's a great actor. Plus, with that smile... that Nicholson smile... it was like he was born to play that role.

If you put the acting aside and just go with what Joker is supposed to look like and how he's supposed to act, Jack wins hands down.

1.) White skin, green hair, red lips and that smile. It wasn't painted on and it was a result from a chemical bath (used in most Joker story telling.)
2.) Traditional Joker props. Let's face it; Tim Burton's Joker had more of them.
3.) Burton's Joker did a better job of riding that line between harmless thief/prankster and cold-blooded killer.
4.) You genuinely got the impression that he enjoyed what he was doing. That his pranks and killings made him "happy."

I'm not saying Ledger did a bad job. I think he earned that Oscar. However, his Joker only fits in Nolan's universe. His Joker was very... chaotic evil. The feeling I got from his Joker was he didn't really enjoy what he was doing. It didn't make him happy to kill or harm people. He just did things to do them... to see the word burn. Jack's Joker got a kick out of torturing people... it made him laugh; he made him "happy" (that's what I was talking about in point 4.)

I really can't comment on Hamil's Batman. I watch The Animated Series a long, long time ago when I was a kid. I just don't remember it that well = /

Edit: Ha, I just went back and read everyone's post. I'm the only one going with Jack. That's alright :)
Edited by Tovi on 2/7/2013 4:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Heath Ledger, hands down.

Mark Hamill's Joker was great but it was voice acting. I can't get behind that as a "best".

It would be like nominating John C. Riley for Best Actor based on "Wreck-it-Ralph"...Great movie but voice acting doesn't take the same immersion into the character.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I believe we are talking portraying the character, so voice acting would count as in animation the voice makes the character. My vote is for Mark Hamill, who also did the voice looping for the Joker in the pilot of Birds of Prey. Best all around version of the character.

But.. Not knocking Ledger in the gritty universe that those films were in he was fantastic.. but Hamill was The joker from the comics.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I believe we are talking portraying the character, so voice acting would count as in animation the voice makes the character. My vote is for Mark Hamill, who also did the voice looping for the Joker in the pilot of Birds of Prey. Best all around version of the character.

But.. Not knocking Ledger in the gritty universe that those films were in he was fantastic.. but Hamill was The joker from the comics.

well, the old comics anyway.

reboot universe seems to be drawing closer to Ledger's version and a bit beyond what with skinning his own face and all.
Edited by Drakmor on 2/7/2013 7:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Heath Ledger definately
Reply Quote
79 Dwarf Warlock
There's no doubt in my mind on this at all. Mark Hamil all the way. Especially after seeing the unrated version of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. No disrespect to Heath Ledger, but while he did do a great job as the Joker in the Nolan movie; I think by giving him the motive of spreading chaos they detracted from him a bit.

Now it's true in the animated series they couldn't really go balls out and have the Joker be like he was in the comics at the time, but he was still the only villain that Batman couldn't prepare for. Put Batman up against anyone else, even members of the Justice League and he can prepare for that encounter. Throw the Joker into the mix and there's no amount of preparation that will be enough, because the Joker is utterly unpredictable. Not because he's an agent of chaos, because that would be giving him a motive, but just because he's driven by the desire to make Batman see the joke and to break him, or to push him to the point of no return.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
Mark Hamil, hands down. He truly captures the essence of the Joker and is easily remembered. If you hear the voices of all four jokers and hear his voice, you instantly know.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
When I picture the joker, I think of Heath Ledger.

When I try to imagine how he sounds, I think of Mark Hamill.

Also, John DiMaggio and Brent Spiner (Lt. Comm. Data) voiced the joker, but they weren't nearly as good as Hamill.

Spiner does have quite the eerie laugh though...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Ledger was great in the reboot but he ties with Jack Nicholson, Jack played the perfect Joker for the Tim Burton film, And as an actor he plays insanity perfectly. (Just go watch The Shining)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Hands down, Mark Hamill on the animated series. It's not even a contest.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
It's a tough decision because it feels like there are two different versions to pick from. There's the more 'classic Joker' of TV and Nicholson, and the more menacing version that Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger did (Hamil gets edgier with the Arkham games, and maybe a couple others i missed). I personally prefer that particular style (the bat-guano homicidally insane 'The Killing Joke' Joker). I guess I'd give the edge to Ledger.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I always felt that I could "hear" Mark Hamill's Joker smiling. It's harder to portray a character just through the use of voice(and without MoCap). Heath Ledger has the advantage of using his whole body to express his Joker. Take a look at games like The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. The voice acting was incredible, and felt even more believable than live action movies.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]