Another major problem is the game design it's self. The majority of servers got hurt because so many players h ave stopped playing. Not just transfers, but 5 million less players are playing than back in the day. This has to do with many things.
1) BC and WOTLK expansions, we saw Horde and Alliance shared major hub cities. When Cataclysm hit (literally), we were left alone in our Major Cities. This may not have an actual game play affect, but it does mentally, the world is now half the size it was before.
2)To add insult to injury, the new content was not a new continent, it was scattered around the world and tied together through portals protected by guards. If you ported to Hyjal, the few horde or Alliance you would see would be standing next to a guard, or they'd mount up and fly away. There was no interaction.
3) Flying in the new zone. This was a disaster in Cata. It takes away greatly from the mistery of the game and the player interaction with other players and with the in game world it's self!
4) Our Culture. Back in the day, Youtube wasn't such a huge modern way of life. We are now integrated with knowledge and know what to expect from the game. Blizzard tried to address this with their new talent point system which is great! You can't just google "Best disc priest Spec" and get a cookie cutter explanation. But that's not even half of the coin. Back in the day, most knowledge was word of mouth in game. Now we are bombarded with expectations of where to get the best in slot gear and how to's on every thing. The mystery is gone, and that was a huge part of the game.
1) new game content on one continent with no flying. Thank you Pandaria.
2) No open Beta for patches. Only applicants.
3)Get rid of visible HP. I know this sounds crazy, but add mystery to the game again. You shouldn't be able to look at someone and say, "meh, 5, maybe 6 blows to the head should do".
4)Have unannounced world events that last for a short time (few days max). The thing that got me hooked to the game was the vast void of the unknown before me. I haven't seen that since Early BC.
5)get rid of the ability to view other's gear, no more inspecting. Only let players view other's achievements. In real life, you shouldn't be able to look at someone and say to your self, I'm better than him or her. This is debatable, but maybe, just maybe, switch to a diablo 3 style gear creation. Essentially, no 2 pieces of gear are alike. And of course have dungeons and raids drop better gear than other places.
6)Make classes and races more unique. I'd love to see a game where Night Elves need to buy something that only undead players can acquire. Stop homogenizing the classes! Make every race essential in the quest to be the best. Have a dead lake where only undead players can swim down to the bottom of to find rare pets that they can trade and eels that are used for top end food. The list goes on and on. Make us NEED the neutral Auction House. Let there be a tab where we can buy permits from actual goblin players that let us post things on the Neutral AH. That would be awesome! Make it so Taurens need wood that only Night elves can obtain in teldrassil to build a boat that can sail to a new land where you can't fly, like Queldenas. Gosh, there are a million ideas, all that make everyone rely on everyone and add mystery to the game!