I seem to be missing something about JCing...

47 Troll Druid
So I've got a toon at 600 jewelcrafting. Been doing the "consume 3 blue gems" for research, and have been getting pointlessly useless results. About 3/4 of what I've learned has been some PvP-plus-random-stat variant, which none of my toons will ever, ever need, as I stopped PvPing when BC came out.

Is there some way of "directing" the research? There's like a zillion JC cuts left to learn, and I don't feel like random-walking my way through them until I happen to get the 7 or 8 that my toons will actually use. Especially since transmuting the blue gems to use for research fodder is chewing through mats too quickly.

I feel like I'm missing something somewhere to make this process suck less.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
assuming you have any patterns left to learn in the category if you use red gems for it you will learn a red cut, orange gem to learn an orange cut ect. If you know all of the red cuts and you do the red research you will learn any random MoP cut you dont know.
Reply Quote
At the moment you really don't need any of the researched gem cuts. Every stat combination is available via a trainer-learned green gem cut. The blue Perfect procs have exactly the same stats as the researched blue gem cuts. You'd have to burn thru a bunch of green gems to get the Perfect procs you're looking for.

Of course, this option doesn't suck less that learning a heap of PvP gem cuts that you'll never use. It just sucks in a whole new way.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
This miserable mess is what happens when Blizzard listens to the unwashed masses who QQ about having to do a daily and the length of time it takes to acquire cuts...which of course, were the two things that made jewelcrafting the most lucrative profession by a wide margin. Now they come post that you can't make money with jewelcrafting and that it sucks.

Be careful what you ask for...

Sadly, you're just going to learn random cuts until you learn them all. Veiled Imperial Amythest was the second to last cut I learned. It was the only one I really wanted after the first two weeks of research.

Good luck.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
At the moment you really don't need any of the researched gem cuts. Every stat combination is available via a trainer-learned green gem cut. The blue Perfect procs have exactly the same stats as the researched blue gem cuts. You'd have to burn thru a bunch of green gems to get the Perfect procs you're looking for.

Of course, this option doesn't suck less that learning a heap of PvP gem cuts that you'll never use. It just sucks in a whole new way.

This option doesn't suck, not at all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I've had every one of the MoP cuts for over a month. Using cheap blues (at the time I did it, Sun's Radiance was essentially vendor trash, YMMV) I just cut until I discovered them all.

Compare that to the fact I'm *still* doing JC dailies for Wrath and Cata cuts to fill out my book. Good lord. That's awful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I still havent leveled up my JC...

Mining 600, Engineering 600 (yes i think engineering has made me more money than JC this xpac), BS 600, still no 600 JC.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I actually sell gems on the auction with regularity, so have no shortage of uncut gems to burn for research every day. My only advice has been mentioned, but I'll post it again just in case you missed it OP...

The color of gem you use to fuel the research is the color of gem you learn a new cut for. The only time this isn't true, is if you already know all of that color's cuts, in which case you just learn something randomly.

If you want a red cut, for example, it only takes 5 days to learn every one. There are I believe 70 (ish) cuts in total. So a little over two months if you do it every single day, to learn all of them to completion.

The question I'd have for you though, is why not just use the perfect procs if you don't yet have the right cut? It's about a 10% chance, so you generally don't have to eat through too many before you get a proc. Same stats, and you learn them all by default from the trainer. You can make all the stat combos the same day you level JC up if you wanted to.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
How do you make money selling gems on the AH? Every time I try to do it the mat costs are higher than what the gems are selling for or the margins are so small id rather be doing inscription.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
There are usually a handful of gems that have decent margins. They change all the time though, so you have to do some research. It's not a 'set and forget' like it was in the days of All Red, All the Time.

Watch for cheap prices on mats and ores, and have a high level alchemist farming Golden Lotus to make you blue gems, and that will help.
Edited by Mordraxas on 2/1/2013 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]