Failed to extract required files from archive

90 Orc Death Knight
So today I tried to play WoW and before the launcher came up an alert appeared saying "Failed to extract the required files from an archive. Please try again."

I looked at the link that it took me to for troubleshooting and it told me to reinstall the game. After uninstalling, I went to battle.net to reinstall the game and whenever I click on the WoW setup file to install it, I get the same message as before. "Failed to extract the required files from an archive."

I don't understand why this is happening when I am installing the game again from battle.net, I'm pretty sure I wiped all the WoW files off of my computer so nothing should be corrupted. Could anyone else help me with this? I'm getting really frustrated.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Good news, I fixed the problem. Now I just have to wait for the game to install again...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
how did you fix the problem? because i tryed to reinstall the game and its giving the same error
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Heres what I did.

1. Make sure that Windows is set to show hidden files.

Here's how to do that: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

2. Navigate to the C:\ProgramData folder and delete the Battle.net folder.
3. Navigate to the WoW folder and delete the "Updates" folder.
4. Launch WoW.
Reply Quote
What I did was skip the Launcher all together.
I opened up my WoW folder,in Program Files, and just open the WoW application, not the WoW Launcher Application.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What I did was skip the Launcher all together.
I opened up my WoW folder,in Program Files, and just open the WoW application, not the WoW Launcher Application.

Win!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Heres what I did.

Here's how to do that: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

4. Launch WoW.

Ok so my previous win is now = fail. After a couple days it stops working all together.

What Vrashogar said is the right thing to do; just do this, it takes 10 min.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Heres what I did.

4. Launch WoW.

Did this, still a no go :|
Reply Quote
3 Blood Elf Mage
cuando quiero instalar el juego me sale el siguiente error:
Failed to extract required files from an archives. Please try again
ya intente descargalo 4 veces y el error digue apareciendo.
por favor me dan la solucion.
MUCHAS GRACIAS
when I install the game I get the following error:
Failed to extract files from a file required. Please try again
I tried to download 4 times and the error returns.
please give me the solution.
THANKS
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
nothing is working for me...im getting quite sick of trying to download WoW on my new PC. never had trouble like this before
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I have the same problem. I deleted the WoW folder and the icon and uninstalled it *Using the WoW un-installer that comes with the download.* After a few days i wanted it back and when i open the setup. I get this error. Except I can't go into the WoW folder...because i Don't have one.
Reply Quote
14 Pandaren Shaman
mmm Make it sure you are opening the right .exe
i mean some people (like me) reinstall the OS several times at month but not the games cos we use another partition on the disc, but then when all OS is full set we put links on our desk screen.
here is the problem, since WV and W7 if you drag the .exe to the desk most of the time are you copying the .exe and not making a link. then the laucher run by it self and can't find the other elements. SO, Make it sure you are runing the right .exe(laucher) on you desk screen.

I hope can help someone. cya
Edited by Zaoken on 7/7/2013 2:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just had this problem and Google led me here.

I have WoW installed on an SSD all by itself. After re-installing windows, I got the error. It was a fresh Windows install so there wasn't a Battle.net folder and deleting it after getting the error didn't help (it only contained a log file).

What finally fixed it was deleting a file called "Launcher.db" (all it is a text file containing the letters "enUS") that was inside the WoW folder. Once I deleted it everything worked fine. This isn't listed in the knowledge base so hopefully it helps someone else out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have this problem also after a fresh install, I tried every solution above to the T. Nothing worked for me :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
what Vrashogar said doesnt soeinvoaiernvoiewarnvoiaenriovn work !
sick of paying for this when every patch i have to reinstall wow
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]