Glaive Toss vs. Powershot vs. Barrage

3 Night Elf Rogue
For Arena PvP, which is best for a BM hunter? And what playstyles should you be doing with each?
Reply Quote
For me glaive toss doesn't seem to do any more damage than my arcane shot so I don't bother with it and powershot bugs out 99% of the time (but when it does work it's always 100k+). Which leaves barrage which I prefer to use, has a bit of extra burst (unlike glaive toss) you just have to be careful with positioning that you don't accidentally knock someone out of a cc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/01/2013 03:53 PMPosted by Toxiin
For me glaive toss doesn't seem to do any more damage than my arcane shot so I don't bother with it and powershot bugs out 99% of the time (but when it does work it's always 100k+). Which leaves barrage which I prefer to use, has a bit of extra burst (unlike glaive toss) you just have to be careful with positioning that you don't accidentally knock someone out of a cc.

Uhh glaive toss is awesome, what's wrong with you
Reply Quote
Glaive Toss seems to be the best tier 6 talent to me; low focus cost, short cooldown, decent damage, and it actually works; if you move while channeling barrage, you waste it, and everyone can see Powershot coming from a mile away, and as was said, Powershots knockback bugs out half the time. Glaive toss also has the snare on every target it hits.
Edited by Aoir on 2/1/2013 6:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Glaive toss: hits exactly like arcane shot, no thanks i allready have arcane shot on my bars.Oh and yea the 30% snare effect is laughable
Powershot: hits very hard if it crits a clother and can give u a great opener under camo, BUT unfortunately it is bugged(misses very often), has a ridiculous long cd for a shot.
Barrage:good amount of single target damage, i can pull away about 20-30% a mage's hp while channeling,great for bgs and flag-node fights, BUT not so good in arena cause it sprays the whole universe with arrows and breaks ccs.
Edited by Achilleas on 2/1/2013 8:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Glaive toss isn't as "fun" but it is better.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Glaive toss is best because it doesn't have a 3 second cast or channel time tied to it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
02/01/2013 09:49 PMPosted by Spinnerdh
Glaive toss is best because it doesn't have a 3 second cast or channel time tied to it.

It's not the cast that's the problem. It's the fact that Powershot and Barrage suppress auto shots.

Though Barrage is ridiculously fun for AV.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@bullettime:
Power Shot doesn't.
I remember hearing the opposite point being made about Power Shot when it first came out, and instead Aimed shot was the one called on for supressing auto shots while comparing it to PwrShot. Then blizzard responded by asserting the design to be intended. I also just tested it to make sure i wasn't listening to rumors.

I also went ahead an tested barrage which really got me wondering, and your not entirely wrong about this one, but the best i could say is that it resets auto shots; since 1 auto shot goes through.

I also like barrage the most, if glaive toss was designed to have a much better slow or a stacking slow i would take it.
Edited by Farsightrx on 2/2/2013 7:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I notice some people are now discovering the fun of barrage. I decided to start using it, before it was cool mind you. However if you had to label each of the three abilities this is how I would break it down.

Glaive Toss : Duels, Arenas ,Bgs and World pvp. This ability is the most versatile.

Barrage :Duels, Bg's and World pvp. While similar to GT. Its not always cool to hit a target you might need CC'd in an arena match.

Powershot : Leave this alone, unless you are just wanting to test something and dont mind having a chance of a borked ability. I will say it HAS worked for me on maps where a knock off is good to have. Like guarding lumber mill in ab and using glyph of explosive trap + power shot to knock people off.And I HAVE had it crit for large numbers beforem but so does kill shot and kill is more reliable and has a short cd.
Edited by Raygar on 2/2/2013 11:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Conditioner is better!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/01/2013 11:29 PMPosted by Bullettime

It's not the cast that's the problem. It's the fact that Powershot and Barrage suppress auto shots.

Though Barrage is ridiculously fun for AV.

... i need to try this when the alliance are in galv.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
02/01/2013 03:53 PMPosted by Toxiin

Glaive toss actually hits the target twice. Unless your arcane shot is hitting the target twice on a single GCD, it's not doing as much damage as glaive toss. It also costs less focus than arcane shot.
Reply Quote
3 Night Elf Rogue
I hate glaive toss, it has a minimal damage increase and just doesn't feel right in the "rotation". I don't find many opportunities to use powershot, plus it bugs out sometimes, although when it lands it is satisfying. Barrage feels the most fun, but has negligible damage it seems and can mess up CC and such in arena with the AoE.

So, they all suck.
Reply Quote
3 Pandaren Warrior
If Powershot was reliable it would be the best option imo, i had some pretty sweet crits (150k+) with it and i only have T1 weapon (haven't did much rated PvP and refused to cheese my way to 2200 in rbgs). But considering it can miss on stunned targets (rofl), i'd say glaive toss.

Barrage damage is minimal and can break CCs, not really ideal in arena.

Atm, like a lot of classes (my Monk comes to my mind) our 90 abilities are all terrible.
Edited by Zergallyeah on 2/2/2013 7:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
powershot misses more then half the time, at least glaive toss has a 20 second cast time. it's bassically the lesser of 3 evils.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Glaive Toss all the way! I've used all 3 abilities in arenas and BGs. Its better for more situations than the others. Glaive tossing the efc, demolisher, someone mounted running by u, or when battleing someone trying to run away ( Healers Cough Cough), should I go on? And as stated above lowest cooldown of the abilities so can be used more often. And if disarmed by another hunters pet or monk ability u can still use glaive toss XP cause ur not using ur wep to use the ability like the others. Lawl. And I'm sorry I hate channeling anything and can be interupted so easily and w/ my agressive play style Glave Toss fits perfectly in my macro. Cause in those 3 secs of channeling Barrage or Powrshot vs Glaive Toss in congruence w/ 2 other abilities is going to burst better. And I'm not going to go in depth about the other abilities cause a true pvp hunter will know Glaive Toss is the real winner of the 3 abilities hands down. XP
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/02/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Navee
Conditioner is better!

Shampoo is better! I go on first, and clean the hair!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]