Extra drops for normal 5.0 raids in 5.2

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I was just thinking: Blizzard is increasing 5.0 LFR drop rates to help with catch up, but this really only serves to completely obsolete the T14 normals since most new players will just run LFR for a few weeks rather than taking their chances with a PuG for only a little more loot that they will replace with ToT LFR gear anyway.

So what if in addition to the LFR change, blizzard also greatly increased the loot dropped by T14 normal and heroic raid bosses come 5.2? So on 10m instead of dropping 2 pieces, it would drop 3-4, and on 25, instead of dropping 6, it would drop like 8-10.

Basically what this does is it gives new players/alts/casuals an option on how quickly they want to catch up based on effort. If they want to just do LFR with the increased drop rate, it wont take them forever, but they certainlywont get to ToT in a week, or they could try their hand at throwing together a normal/heroic PuG for a lot of extra loot.

It would have very little impact on the gear situation for raiders already going into ToT due to the huge ilv gap anyway, but it would serve to keep past tiers relevant while still not mandatory.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
If heroic raid bosses dropped tons of loot it would screw with T15 LFR participation because people would be farming up gear off the easier T14H bosses instead. I also think this is a generally unnecessary idea because since T15 LFR already gives loot as good as T14H, there is no need to further incentivize T14H beyond people coming back for the achievements.

EDIT:

I'm not really opposed to normal mode giving a bunch of gear aside from the fact that there's really no reason for it, as T14 LFR buffed droprates are going to gear people out for T15 LFR in a jiffy.
Edited by Mahourai on 2/4/2013 4:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If heroic raid bosses dropped tons of loot it would screw with T15 LFR participation because people would be farming up gear off the easier T14H bosses instead. I also think this is a generally unnecessary idea because since T15 LFR already gives loot as good as T14H, there is no need to further incentivize T14H beyond people coming back for the achievements.

EDIT:

I'm not really opposed to normal mode giving a bunch of gear aside from the fact that there's really no reason for it, as T14 LFR buffed droprates are going to gear people out for T15 LFR in a jiffy.

The idea would just be to give the option to try something harder for a significantly greater reward. Hopefully it would encourage people to do some actual raiding before getting to the most current content. Even if T14 is hit by a nerf comparable to to the T11 nerf when T15 launches, it still teaches you more about raiding than LFR ever could.

And I'm not sure that I agree that it would "screw with T15 LFR participation." Even if you somehow managed to make a PuG and go 16/16H T14, and even with an increased item drop amount, you still wouldn't instantly get full BiS and not have to do LFR at all. Hell there are even some raiders who have been farming for a while who will need T15 LFR gear. If anything this will get people into the new tier faster, with the added bonus of them learning how to raid at a competent level. Think of it almost like a difficult to pull off shortcut, if you are good enough to pull it off, you don't have to waste time in prior LFRs, if you can't, then it will take you longer, but you will still get there.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The idea would just be to give the option to try something harder for a significantly greater reward. Hopefully it would encourage people to do some actual raiding before getting to the most current content. Even if T14 is hit by a nerf comparable to to the T11 nerf when T15 launches, it still teaches you more about raiding than LFR ever could.

And I'm not sure that I agree that it would "screw with T15 LFR participation." Even if you somehow managed to make a PuG and go 16/16H T14, and even with an increased item drop amount, you still wouldn't instantly get full BiS and not have to do LFR at all. Hell there are even some raiders who have been farming for a while who will need T15 LFR gear. If anything this will get people into the new tier faster, with the added bonus of them learning how to raid at a competent level. Think of it almost like a difficult to pull off shortcut, if you are good enough to pull it off, you don't have to waste time in prior LFRs, if you can't, then it will take you longer, but you will still get there.

Yeah but old content isn't supposed to give a "greater reward" than newer content.

I think I would be OK with normal doing this though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Yeah but old content isn't supposed to give a "greater reward" than newer content.

I think I would be OK with normal doing this though.

I'm not sure that you can really apply that logic to LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
What's going to obliterate t14 normals is the item level inflation of 5.2 LFR dropping higher item level loot.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/04/2013 09:21 PMPosted by Hyjinx
What's going to obliterate t14 normals is the item level inflation of 5.2 LFR dropping higher item level loot.

This. With the increase in LFR 5.0 drops and LFR 5.2 having such a high ilvl, normal mode MV will become a thing of the past. You'll see a few pugs for HoF but with the 3rd boss being such a cockblock I don't see any pugs getting far unless they grossly outgear it. TOES will probably remain popular if simply for Sha-touched weapons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]